Sign in to follow this  
KeithB

Which rattle can primer?

KeithB

Going to get rattle can International red from TSC.

Getting ready to paint the frame and have some bare metal.

Should i use grey or red primer or what they call auto primer for the bare metal spots?

Thanks

KB9LOR

Going to get rattle can International red from TSC.

Getting ready to paint the frame and have some bare metal.

Should i use grey or red primer or what they call auto primer for the bare metal spots?

Thanks

I use grey primer, the main reason I use it, is because I can see where I painted with the first coat, with red primer, I have a hard time seeing where I have painted, but that could be because of the old eyes lol!

gwgdog66

Good point Brian, i'm in the same boat :scratchead:

My brother used a red bare metal primer, he got it at TSC. He did that because if he scratched the paint it wouldn't show as bad.

KB9LOR

Yeah, getting older GWG :scratchead: But come to think of it, my Step father years ago used the grey on alot of cars, if I remember right, he only used other color primers depending on the "look" they wanted with the main coat and clearcoat, like maybe a silver under a candy color, or something of that nature, but for my horses grey is just fine with me.

stevebo

I used a grey sandable primer from duplicolor. The problem I had was that i did not let it fully cure (24 hours) and the primer ended up bleeding through the tractor supply IH red restoration in a rattle can. I would have been using the rust converter on the last few which will stop any rust from the bare metal and once dry becomes a sandable primer. Good luck-

KB9LOR

Well I use the grey primer from wal-mart, .96 a can on sale and 1.12 a can not on sale, dries in 10 mins, never had a problem with it, and it works for me.

tgranthamfd

I tried rustolium and krylon, under that same paint and, as of yet, haven't found any issues with either one. Only problem I had, was the rusto took longer to cure out, than the Krylon.

Duff

I've been using the Rustoleum rusty metal primer (red) on everything with good results. It seems to have a little more body to it which fills *minor* surface imperfections. It does take some time to cure, though, so if you're in a hurry I'd go with something else. JMHO.... :hide:

Duff :scratchead:

KeithB

thanks for all the replies

e-rancher

I've always used red oxide primer under the darker colors and gray primer on the lighter colors. For the WH, I'd use red for the panels and gray on the rims. This helps to lessen the visual effects you might get from a non-uniform top coat. If you apply enough coats, it wouldn't matter until you chipped the paint. As far as brands of primer are concern, I really haven't had any problems with any one brand. I did have an issue with the nozzle plugging on a Rustoleum AC Orange topcoat. I notified Rustoleum, gave them the lot # and they refunded my purchase price. You can't beat that for service.

e-rancher

Polaris2007

I've been using the Rustoleum rusty metal primer (red), under Valspar Restoration IH red in a rattle can. I'm sandblasting EVERYTHING, so there is NO rusty metal, just bare metal, but I figured I might get a little more rust protection with this primer. I agree with Duff on the part about a seemingly thicker consistancy, but I disagree with him on the drying time. This stuff is by far the fastest drying primer I have ever used. This weekend I was priming some parts outside. It was 60 degrees, partly sunny, and a very light breeze. This stuff was drying in minutes. I was topcoating in 10 minutes or so. I also used it under the off-white on the wheels, and the top coat covered it fine. Great primer IMO.

MikesRJ

Whatever you decide, make sure the primer states Toluene (the thinning agent) in the list of ingredients on the can.

The primer you choose must be a Toluene based paint in order to be completely compatible with the Toluene based Valspar Restoration Series IH Red paint.

Same goes for the clear coat, if you choose to use that too. It too must be Toluene based.

My old workhorse for paint:

Rusty Red Sand-able Rust-Oleum primer, under Valspar-Restoration Series-IH Red, under Rust-Oleum Crystal Clear clear-coat. Works like a champ and NEVER had an issue with it.

Duff

I agree with Duff on the part about a seemingly thicker consistancy, but I disagree with him on the drying time. This stuff is by far the fastest drying primer I have ever used. This weekend I was priming some parts outside. It was 60 degrees, partly sunny, and a very light breeze.

Point well made! I should have mentioned my painting conditions. I don't have a spray booth, so I usually spray outside in the evening after the breeze has died down for the day, and usually in the spring and fall (too busy in the summer, darn it!), so my temps are often below 55 and with slightly higher relative humidity. Either way, I think it's a darned good primer!

Duff :scratchead:

KB9LOR
anon

Duff

Duff...west lebanon NH huh! well small world I have sister that lives there and her husband is on the fire dept, I was just up there at the end of May, small worrld ...I was born in Concord, and lived in Grafton for awhile, then my mom moved to Vermont and I came back down here.

Yup, really small world! PM me if you'd like with your sister and BIL's names - I bet I know one or both of them! I work for Dartmouth Public Safety and used to work for both Hanover PD and FD over the years. Oops! - sorry to go :scratchead: ! :ychain:

Duff :hide:

bell

I use Rustoleum "rusty metal" red also... It does make it less noticible if you get a scratch...

Michael Bullington

i use the red primer for the tractor and grey for the wheels.....the only reason i use the red primer is too try to darken the IH RED color....not sure it works but the red works fine for me...(except when i walk in the house after sanding!! :scratchead: )

Bad856

I actualy had to use both on a run of parts cause I ran out of grey. So since it was the first run I painted a coat of flat white to help make the red pop more. Just an idea for thoughs face the problem with either to lay a nice white to help lay down read nicely.

bitten

I use Rustoleum grey, let it dry for 24 hourse, sand and add another coat, let set for another 24 hourse, sand and it is ready for paint. Seems to be working for me.