Sign in to follow this  
ryanstractor

Kohler K181S fuel pump options?

ryanstractor

Any one know if there is a replacement fuel pump option for this engine? Or is there a way to rebuild my fuel pump without the original rebuild kit? I have my feelers out for a replacement part but trying to see if there are any other options to get my tractor rolling again.

thanks.

PS. If anyone has a fuel pump for this engine I am in the market...

sorekiwi

You didnt say what type of pump you are looking for.

There are two basic types used on the K181, the early ones used a diaphram "pulse" type pump which is NLA, and the later ones used a mechanical pump driven by a lever running on an eccentric on the camshaft. The Mechanical pump is available from your Kohler dealer, and NAPA can get one too. The early style pump can be replaced by the later style (as long as your camshaft has the eccentric - I've never seen one that didnt have it).

Mike

• Like 1

ryanstractor

mike.

thanks for your reply. I have a diaphram pulse (vacuum) style pump and am still trying to solve my problem. I am not really much of a gearhead so excuse my newbie question but how can I determine if this engine has the lobe on the camshaft to operate the mechanical pump? don't really want to buy one just to find out it wont work...

Chris.

ryanstractor

w9jab. Thanks for the link. I did email them to see if they could be of help. Isn't clear to me that any of the pumps listed are a direct replacement for the one I need...

Chris

TT

What model is the tractor and are you after function-only or function with originality?

dscott2000

Being that my old Raider has the K181. I do believe that it is the lever action one. What I am doing in regards to my WH, I go to a local TORO dealer and they can pretty much get any part I need. I hope that helps!

ryanstractor

TT.

The Tractor was dropped off in my driveway as a gift for my 5 year old son Ryan. As a result I don't really know exactly what I've got here. The tractor is a Commando 8 and I believe it is a late '60s vintage. I will try to post a picture here so that maybe someone can confirm the vintage...

I would of course prefer function WITH originality but at this point I'm willing to explore.

btw, prior to the tractor showing up in my drive, it had been sitting for a bit, a year or so, because some mice had chewed the ignition wiring. I had helped get it started up again and it was running just fine. So the machine is in relatively good shape with the exception of the lack of fuel to the carb...

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Chris.

ryanstractor

i'm gonna try to post a couple of pics...

DSC02117_1-1.jpg

WH2photo-2.jpg

WHphoto.jpg

hope that works...

Chris.

buckrancher

have you taken the pump apart it's very easy to do

after it's removed from the engine remove the 4 screws holding the pump together

and you will see the diaphram take it out and hold it up to a light and check

for holes next remove the plate inside the pump housing that's

held with one screw BE CAREFUL there is two small springs and two small round disks under it do not lose them

Clean all parts and housings if there are no holes in the diaphram then the problem

is one of the disks not sealing if they have round impressions on there face's

or dirt and grit holding one open. Check for the latter when you disassemble

you can repair the face's of the disks by sanding them lightly with 2000 grit

sandpaper on a piece of glass

reassemble and check for operation :hide:

good luck

:scratchead:

ryanstractor

buckrancher,

thanks for the advice. I will try to disassemble the pump in the next couple of days and see what's going on in there. I am really anxious to get the tractor up and running again. Foolishly, i assumed since it was a Kohler engine that parts would be readily available for repair or replacement...

thanks again. Chris.

stevasaurus

Chris...before you take it apart..take off the bottom...try spraying carb cleaner in both ends and from the middle back. There is a ball on each side that is supposed to be free to move and yours may be stuck.

This is going to sound bad but it explains the workings. The ball on the gas tank side lets fuel into the pump, but not out. The ball on the carb side lets fuel out of the pump but not back in. You can blow and suck on each end to see if the balls are working. Mine, on my 857 was stuck on the gas tank side, and it freed up after awhile, but the rubber part was good.

Worth a try.

WheelHorse_of_course

There are universal vacuum type pumps. For example Foley Belsaw has this:

https://shop-foley-belsaw.com/foley/IAFDispatcher

(if the link does not work go to foley-belsaw.com and search fuel pump.

:hide: :scratchead:

MaineDad

On my K181 on my 753, my pump went, and I never replaced it. Gravity does the job just fine, and I've used it this way for about 4 years with no problem. Just a thought...

ryanstractor

ok. got lots of info to work with here. thanks everyone. I was wondering about a universal vacuum pump TT but didn't know how to get around the fact that the engine has no porting for the pump. So that thread was very helpful. i will take a close look at my pump(that was working ok not long ago) and see if i can get it moving gas to my carb. If not I will see about a universal vacuum pump.

BTW, can anyone recognize the year of this tractor?

thanks,

Chris.

ryanstractor

Also, MaineDad, did you just leave your tank in the original position and bypass the pump?

Thanks

Chris

MaineDad

Also, MaineDad, did you just leave your tank in the original position and bypass the pump?

Thanks

Chris

Yes I did...

TT

Gravity feed will work most of the time, but prolonged uphill use and a low fuel level in the tank will cause starvation. This has happened on my 633 and it even has the Tillotson updraft carb with the lower fuel inlet.

ryanstractor

Hey all,

Out of the blue I found the pump online. It's on the way, so if I can't get the old one going I'm good to go with a brand new(old) pump. I will double check if there is a lobe on the cam shaft if and when I pull the pump off. then I can always replace with a mechanical in 2020 when the new vacuum pump is toast...

thanks again. I'll post my results wehn it all comes together.

Chris.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--ther tractor is a 1968.... I have a pair of pulse pumps sitting in my tool box. I switch to the mechanical pumps whenever I find a dead pulse pump. As far as originality--the pulse and mechanical pumps are identical on the outside---nobody would be able to tell. Plus I have seen 1968 tractors with both style pumps anyways. I have 6 1968 Commando 8's and of the 6 2 had pulse pumps and the other 4 where mechanical---- :scratchead:

Tony

ryanstractor

hey Tony. that's great to know.

Thanks for verifying the year also. It seems like I'll be able to have the tractor online real soon.

Chris.

W9JAB

Auto-Parts-Low-Pressure-Electric-Fuel-Pump.jpg

PRESSURE3-5 psi SHUT-OFF PRESSURE

WIDE OPEN FLOW VOLTS12

INTERCHANGE

APPLICATION

Application: The highest quality and most dependable lift pump and priming pump for diesel injection

systems, OEM for most Diesel Engines and Construction Equipment.

FUEL Compatibility: No rubber diaphragms or valves to swell or deteriorate in alcohol blended fuels, compatible with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel fuel,

THIS PUMPS ARE FROM 3 TO 5 Lb. In-Line Electric Fuel Pump, Low pressure approx 1 GPM i have manny more to sell in large quantity. LOTS OF 2-4-6-8-12. ETC. I DO COMBINE SHIPPING ON LOTS FOR MORE THAN ONE ANYTHING YOU MAY NEED FOR YOUR APPLICATIONS. i sold manny of these pumps for BIODIESEL,GENERATORS,BOATS,JEEPS,RIDDING TRACTORS,

JOHN DEER AND automotive.

http://olivercheng.en.made-in-china.com/pr...-Fuel-Pump.html

bork

I cant beleive it! I finally started the ole 1057 (after sitting 10 years). It cranked right up :scratchead: with a little ether, but starving for fuel. Confirmed getting fuel to carb & all lines new with a filter & tank cleaned out. Checked pump & no push. (had a clear, open hose to ceiling & no fuel comes up) Took apart pump & found some black crumbs in check valve disc & springs area. BUT when I was holding pump my hand, & cleaning , the pumps arm/lever actuator for the cam broke in two.(right where the bend is) I was really ticked. :hide: BUT glad it didn't break in engine. :ychain: So I'll probably have it welded back together , cant be that much pressure on arm when running. FWIW the fitting on the carb & out-side of fuel pump are 1/4" od plumbing compression thread. I was able to make up a short piece of copper, nut, & ferral, for testing purposes. I filled up fuel tank & ran direct to carb, but engine didn't want to keep running. (had to pull choke 3/4 closed.) When I need to refer to parts , do yall use the # on the engine plate? or tractor?