Sign in to follow this  
Lane Ranger

Kohler 12 HP on B-80 frame

Lane Ranger

:scratchead: My brother has a 1969 Kohler 47147C 12 HP engine (from the later model Charger 12 in 1969) he is wanting to place on a 1974 B-80. He indicates that the frame and belt guide seem to work ok with a little modification but he is tyring to wire it up using the more modern B-80 wiring setup.

I shared the wiring diagrams from the manuals for both (or the equivalent) tractors. It looks to me like the ignition switch may need to be changed. There are three wires coming out of the Kohler motor. Two appear to be for the rectifier but there is a third wire he keeps asking me about and I am not sure what it is (magnetor, points, etc)or where it goes on such a setup.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly apprecaited!

You can email my brother, David Ralph direct at: travelindave@comcast.net

Kelly

Normaly that wire goes to the points, but another thought is does the hood fit? the early B's had a shorter frame, so he may not have room for the air cleaner.

pfrederi

Spec #47147 is most likely a magneto ignition. I have seen some with points and some breakerless.

If the coil is mounted on the front of the flywheel housing (and is a strange shape) and there are no points just some tapped holes in the engine block then it is a breaker-less setup. The third wire (comes from the stator and is probably 16 ga) goes to the inside terminal on the ignition trigger. (Located under the flywheel shroud next to flywheel. The other wire on the trigger goes to the terminal on the bottom of the coil and is connected to the kill wire (ground) that goes to the ignition switch. You absolutely positively will want to change the B80s switch. if you use it you will put power on the kill wire and fry the ignition trigger!!!

Other 47147s have a breaker magneto system. the coil is on the stator under the flywheel and is not visible. There are points and a condenser on the block. The plug wire comes out from under the shroud. It will also need a magneto switch as there is a wire from the switch to the condenser that again grounds the system. i think that in this case if you apply voltage to th wire as a B-80 switch would do the engine just keep running and you haven't burned anything up...but I am not sure so don't tempt fate get a magneto ignition switch....

Edit. I am currently setting up a breakerless 47147c on a C101 Frame. I have the wiring worked out...used a cheap ignition switch from Lowe's

Lane Ranger

Kelly and Paul: Thanks for these insights and good informational assistance! I will make sure my brother David is reading his email!

Crazy busy day here. I just got done mowing my lawn with the old Lawn Ranger after I had the points and condenser changed in the Tecumseh engine I have on it.

This was a new H60-70563B I bought last Fall and it is finally in opertion! Head gasket needed to be changed also.

Mowed real nice this afternoon. I have posted a few photos.

My brother said he got the 12 HP Kohler operating and mowed a ditch bank last night. He says it still seems to be acting up by not retarting after it cools down from the existing B-80 starter.

I still don't think he has attached that third wire from the 1969 12 HP Kohler engine to anything else!

102_6666.jpg

102_6665.jpg

102_6656.jpg