Sign in to follow this  
KB9LOR

Hub sliding on Axel

KB9LOR

I saw a post awhile back on how to keep this from happening, but cannot find it, anyone have a fix for keeping the hub from sliding in? I know I have it tight, and do not want to overtighten and ruin the hub, any ideas?

Brian

WHC-125

If it only has one bolt to hold it down. Drill and tap a hole to put another set screw in it.

KB9LOR

If it only has one bolt to hold it down. Drill and tap a hole to put another set screw in it.

I will have to do that, I see no other way to do it, if you put anything on the axel, like a stop, it will get pushed into the oil seal, which is what I think happened with the PO. Thanks for the tip, that will be an easy fix.

Brian

baerpath

Another way is to drill two holes in the face of the hub, tap them and bolt a peice of steel across the end of the axle. Just make sure you stay inside the center hole in the rim.

It works if the problem is them sliding in....... out not so well :scratchead:

Duane

tarcoleo

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but on my recently acquired C-81, the right

wheel was moving on the axle. I needed to replace the seal, the PO had buggered up

the seal that he had "installed". Anyway, I put in a new seal and noticed that there was

no half-moon key where the hub is supposed to be secured to the axle. Bought one and

fitted it in the slot on the axle and secured the hub about 1 inch away from the

trans-housing. End of story.

Tom in RI

KB9LOR

Maybe I'm not understanding the problem, but on my recently acquired C-81, the right

wheel was moving on the axle. I needed to replace the seal, the PO had buggered up

the seal that he had "installed". Anyway, I put in a new seal and noticed that there was

no half-moon key where the hub is supposed to be secured to the axle. Bought one and

fitted it in the slot on the axle and secured the hub about 1 inch away from the

trans-housing. End of story.

Tom in RI

I have the woodruff key installed it still wants to float in, so I did get a closer look, and the hub itself is wallowed out a bit, (just half of the slot) I think this is where the problem lies, I was going to just drill and tap for another screw, but then thought, I do not want to bugger up the axel, and this will do that, so I am now in the hunt for a 1-1/8" hub...

Brian

tarcoleo

We don't want to forget our heroes, e.g., Pittman (of the arm), Cotter (of the pin),

Rocker (of the other arm), or Woodruff (of the half-moon key).

The main advantage of the Woodruff key is that it avoids the milling of a keyslot near stress-concentration prone shaft shoulders.

This type of key was developed by W.N Woodruff of Connecticut, who was presented in 1888 with the John Scott Medal by the Franklin Institute for the invention.

Tom in RI (of the turkey)

:scratchead:

GlenPettit

Tom:

That's a cute and unique way to remember those, I especially like the extra trivia on Woodruff, the

who /what/when/where & why always interests me on these little details. Thanks,

KB9LOR

Okay guys, got the axel problem fixed, should have no more problems! I hope! so thanks to everyone for the tips.

Brian

jpmcleod

Brian. If you need a hub let me know I just bought two and only needed one. The one I have has only one set screw. I actually bought two sets of hubs. The one I got Friday had two set screws and I used them. I believe the other set may have two set screws. If you want the two let me know. You can have the one for free or I will sell you the two for what I had to pay for them plus shipping.