Sign in to follow this  
tarcoleo

8 speed lube

tarcoleo

Quick stupid question- the correct lube is 10W30, right?

Been using gear oil for 16 years not knowing any better.

Would like to do it right.

Tom in RI

(Excuse if this a a double post.)

bell

No, it calls for SAE 90-140 A.P.I. service GL-5 gear lube.

N.C. horserider

Just replaced the trans fluid in my C165 8 speed used 90-140 GL5 gear oil it took 2 quarts. It's available at any auto parts store.

Nick

I use 80/90 gear oil.

tarcoleo

Thanks guys. Nice to know finally that I've been doing something right.

Tom in RI :scratchead:

Horse Fanatic

Haven't I read here in the past that the GL-5 is not friendly to the brass or bronze parts in the transmission?

rick

GL5 is a no no in Troy Bilt Horse transmissions, because of the yellow metal...not sure about Unidrive, though.

Duff

The unidrives do have a couple of bronze bushings inside, so I'd be careful! :hide:

Duff :scratchead:

WHC-125

I use 80/90 gear oil.

Thats what I use as well :scratchead:

Polaris2007

Someone here at Red Square must have an owner's or service manual for a tractor with a uni-drive. What did Wheel Horse say to use? :scratchead:

linen beige

Someone here at Red Square must have an owner's or service manual for a tractor with a uni-drive. What did Wheel Horse say to use? :scratchead:

SAE 90-140 A.P.I.Service GL-5 gear lubricant.

Nick

What Ive read over the years is that many people use 80w90 gear oil. I'm not sure of all reasons but the one most often mentioned is that it will work better in cold climates.

pfrederi

Two things

1 -- Read the label on the GL-5 some are safe for copper/brass. (notably the stuff sold at WalMart

2 -- Don't obsess about trans fluid in the gear drives. My father bought my L107 new in 1967. She has been in use ever since and has had 40w motor oil in the rear end (because that is what the owners manual said....) the whole time. I think it has been changed 2, maybe 3, times in 42 years. She is used winter and summer and shifts just fine....

Docwheelhorse

I don't think it matters a whole bunch whether you use 80/90, 90/140, Sae 40 etc.... I think ANY good old CLEAN and FREE of MOISTURE oil will work fine. We can all agree that all uni-drives have similar differentials and gear sets--right??? If it was so critical to use thick as mollasses 90/140 then why are there HYDROS that run on ATF (thin as water...) still running 40 some odd years after they left the factory. Yes the ATF is used so the pump can "pump" it---but the ATF also bathes the differential and other gears/bearings.

Just my thoughts....

This is just one of those topics that will surface and start a debate now and again---just like synthetic versus regular motor oil...

Tony

Docwheelhorse

P.S.--I use regular old Walmart Super Tech 80/90 in all my Uni-Drives and for the most part use Rotella T Diesel Fleet 15/40 in my engines. I like Mobil 1 synthetic but found the Rotella to be fantastic "regular" oil and just decided to save the cash...

Tony