Sign in to follow this  
dunk50

1987 Kohler 18hp Magnum

dunk50

Recently picked up a 418-A with an 18 HP Kohler Magnum. This tractor was badly abused. I am not very hopeful that the hydraulic pump, motor or transmission are any good. I am crossing my fingers. I took the gas tank, fenders etc etc off. What a mess. It has not been cleaned in 20+ years. What a shame. My question is this. The Kohler comes with a complete shround / cover that bolts to the motor. I am looking at it and there is no doubt that it would run cooler and be easier to keep clean without all this added tin. Not looking for a show tractor just a good running one. Any input?????? <_

kj4kicks

Remove the shrouds to clean out the engine cooling fins, BUT be sure to put them back on. Leaving them off will quickly overheat the engine, and get expensive.

dunk50

Well is seemed to me to be the reverse. That the shrouds would help it heat up. That's why I asked. I will take your advice. thanks

tranders

The shrouds are directing the airflow that the flywheel creates.

dunk50

Thank You sir. I would have taken his advice as I am certain he knows more than I do on this matter. It is nice to know the reason. :scratchead:

dunk50

Not to worry, fired it up and runs great, except for a big hole in the block! :scratchead:

DMESS

This will sound crazy, (try me) but depending on where and just how big the window in the block is it may be able to be repaired. Generally when the aluminum KT/Magnum twin blocks get a skylight in them it is on the face of the block across from the opposing rod. A thrown rod is usually the culprit so I'd be suspicious of the engine in question and take a good look around inside for shrapnel. You'd be surprised at how these things can still run with excess rod debris inside them. (I can show you a KT 19 that should NEVER have ran given the state it was in. :scratchead: ) A competent welder can repair these blocks if the hole is clear of any internal webbing/structural bracing. The critical part is making sure you corrected the reason it vented itself in the first place.

There are plenty of engines that will bolt in place of the M18, but in a state of proper health these can be strong, smooth running power plants.

I'd grab a Kohler service manual, tear it apart and investigate things before I chose to part it or re power it. :hide:

dunk50

Thanks for the advice. Where would I pick up a Kohler service manual. May just take a look at it. If a rod did let go and the case can be saved, how available and expensive are rods / parts vs a used motor. ANY idea what a rebuild should run????

Found the manual on line if the M-18 Kohler twin magnums were all the same. It does not have the same air cleaner set up.

DMESS

The online manual was going to be my suggestion. :scratchead:

Air cleaner setups varied with application and spec number.