Sign in to follow this  
KeithB

Pulling rear hubs?

KeithB

How do you get them off?

I been looking for hub pullers, Northern Tools has one but only 3 bolt one, i heard you need 5 bolt puller for these?

CasualObserver

Well, I was going to copy my response to that same question over at another forum, then I realized you're the same person who asked it.

A three bolt puller will be fine. I've also heard that a harmonic balancer puller will work just fine too. I really recommend if you have access to a welder or a friend with one, you try that solution I gave you. Works like butter.

• Like 1

KeithB

i like your puller, you should make them to sell :scratchead: i would buy one

Indy w h

All I use is some good penatrating oil and a

air hammer !! Works great

KB9LOR

Well when I took the one off my Raider, it came off just by tapping it with a plastic hammer, but then again I had a oil seal leaking on that side. But if neeed you could use a torch on it, just use Mapp(sp?) gas instead of propane because Mapp(sp?) burns hotter than propane.

Brian

pfrederi

I made this one out of and old messed up hub and a 1" bolt I found...no welding or careful measuring/drilling required. This puller got a hub off an old tranny that resisted soaking and mapp gas.

img2966c.th.jpg

img2965.th.jpg

KB9LOR

So you threaded the center of the hub? reason I am asking I got a old 1" hub I will convert to a hub puller.

Brian

Brian1045

So you threaded the center of the hub? reason I am asking I got a old 1" hub I will convert to a hub puller.

Brian

I don't think he threaded the hub. It looks like he just put a 1" nut on it to hold it in place for leverage.

pfrederi

Brian

No I didn't thread it. To pull the hub I tighten the long 3/8" bolts. I do it in small increments one bolt after another..then periodically whack the 1" bolt with a very big hammer.

I suppose you could use 7/16" NF bolts and thread them into the stuck hub. I didn't as 7/16 NF that long are not cheap and if the stuck hub has screwed up threads....

KB9LOR

Oh okay, now I see what you did, well my goodness, that thing will make my hub pulling way easier, thanks pfrederi.

Brian

Lane Ranger

Paul: Your HUB puller is a very good tool!

So your hub puller uses the 3/8 bolts from the inside of the stuck HUB on the tractor to the outside of the puller HUB.

And you use a one inch bolt and nut and you just slowly tighten the nuts of the outside hub until the stuck HUB on the tractor comes loose from the axle and woodruff key? I am in the middle of this process and just stopped to read the latest red square postings and came across this one that I need to learn from someone elses experience!

I have a set of extra HUBs and I want to remove a HUB on my B-80 to change and oil seal that is worn out. I like your idea the best of anything I have seen so far.

I was looking for the 7/16th bolts but as you said long regular thread 3/8ths are a lot cheaper to use!

Also Paul I bought an ignition switch with a magneto link on it for my brother and my Dad was deleivering it to him with some other Wheel Horse goodies for his birthday. He sasy he likes the way the B-80 with the 12 HP Kohler mows!

Now he can keep fropm frying something electrically hopefully!