Sign in to follow this  
wh500special

Charger V8 hydro

wh500special

I need to pick up a dead '68 Charger V8 hydro. Like other early hydros, it can't be pushed in neutral because the rear wheels lock up.

I've looked on this thing and in my manuals for a release valve and find nothing. Anybody know if there is a valve to open and where it might be? Or if there is a trick...I'm hoping nobody says "it should freewheel in neutral" (which I kind of suspect since it has a mechanical parking brake too) since that might spell disaster for the transmission. The owner said he pushed it from the garage to the front yard and back, but now it is stuck. :hide:

I've never had a hydro-vert, so I am in the dark here.

For those not familiar, this is a VERTICAL shaft tractor, not the conventional Charger most of us are accustomed to. Certainly there has to be some way to move this sucker manually, but I'm not sure what the story is.

Any suggestions short of pumping iron and bulking up would be appreciated.

Steve

:scratchead:

can whlvr

I made a small dolly with 4 casters,too much of apain to open and close the tow valve when i want to move my hydro around the shop.

Tgblanken

I need to pick up a dead '68 Charger V8 hydro. Like other early hydros, it can't be pushed in neutral because the rear wheels lock up.

I've looked on this thing and in my manuals for a release valve and find nothing. Anybody know if there is a valve to open and where it might be? Or if there is a trick...I'm hoping nobody says "it should freewheel in neutral" (which I kind of suspect since it has a mechanical parking brake too) since that might spell disaster for the transmission. The owner said he pushed it from the garage to the front yard and back, but now it is stuck. :hide:

I've never had a hydro-vert, so I am in the dark here.

For those not familiar, this is a VERTICAL shaft tractor, not the conventional Charger most of us are accustomed to. Certainly there has to be some way to move this sucker manually, but I'm not sure what the story is.

Any suggestions short of pumping iron and bulking up would be appreciated.

Steve

:scratchead:

The Vertical Shaft hydro's did not have a push/tow valve. To push the tractor you have to release the drive belt tension on the hydro input pulley so it will spin freely and push the hydro direction lever either all the way forward or all the way reverse. Then you can push the tractor. As you push the tractor the input pulley will spin. If the tow lever works properly you can enage it. It is actually the parking brake lever. Push down on it and lock it in place. This should release the tensioning idle pulley so the input pulley will spin freely. If all the above fail remove the drive belt or cut it off.

Good Luck.

Terry the Vertical Shaft Guy.

wh500special

Thanks Terry!

I was hoping you or Joel were lurking :hide: here.

I noticed the notch on the tension/parking brake lever and just thought :scratchead: . That 'splains it.

Thanks,

Steve

wh500special

Got 'er. Only took a set of ramps, a couple long boards to act as levers, a come-along, and a bit of profanity :scratchead: to get it into the truck. Wouldn't be so bad if I still had a smaller 2wd truck, but even 8' ramps into a 3/4-ton 4x4 call for some effort...

Not the easiest pushers, are they?

I'm hoping the KV181 is in decent internal shape. That really was the only appealing part to this machine for me....the timebomb engine.

Thanks for the help!

Steve

linen beige

Got 'er. Only took a set of ramps, a couple long boards to act as levers, a come-along, and a bit of profanity :scratchead: to get it into the truck.

Sounds like my first wife :hide:

Glad you got her loaded!