Sign in to follow this  
DrBailey

can anyone help with ID

DrBailey

I have a piece of a old wheel Horse. it only good for a parts tractor. Its interresting.

The serial number is 41236

To bad there not more of it there. Thanks in advance

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1203036315.jpg

DrBailey

Heres a bad pic of the numbers plate

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1203036460.jpg

TT

It's a 1964 model 854.

Rollerman

Yeah that was going to be my 1st guess...I mean it seems obvious.

LOL...How does he "TT" do it. :thumbs: ....yes I know all in running the numbers.

combatmp29r

No Stephen can't you see the 854 only parts on there? :thumbs: No? Well i can't either :D Good job again Hawkeye :thumbs: Sorry had to do it :P

TT

Yeah that was going to be my 1st guess...I mean it seems obvious.

LOL...How does he "TT" do it. :thumbs: ....yes I know all in running the numbers.

Honestly, Stephen -- those numbers don't mean much. :D

It is a 1964 because it has (had) a bolt-on battery box, a 2 spoke steering wheel, and the piece that the tie rods hook to on the lower steering shaft is plate steel, not cast. 1964 is also the only year of the round hoods to have the two threaded holes on the right side of the hoodstand, just below the gas tank bolts. These were intended to be used for the sickle bar mower travel bracket. (or the HL-5 headlight switch bracket)

The 754 and 854 were the only two 1964 tractors to use the aluminum gas tank, and since there was only 421 754's produced, I'm leaning towards this one being an 854. :thumbs:

combatmp29r

:D See Stephen them parts :thumbs: Boy I have alot to learn about the horizontals :thumbs:

Rollerman

TT I'm even more impressed now...LOL :thumbs:

I've been in the hobby long enough I should have that stuff down. :thumbs:

Guess I need to start takeing notes when you post. :D

combatmp29r

I've thought about printing all his posts out and making my own red binder :thumbs:

nylyon

It's all in the Tattoo, he has microfiche imbedded in there, can reference it anywhere.

TT

Did you notice though....

Sometimes it's easier to tell what they aren't -- or what they don't have as opposed as to what they do have or should be ?)

At least there was organization and consistency when these tractors were produced. (You remember our "discussion" about Speedex tractor a while back, right? I think they changed something about every other day on those tractors! :thumbs: )

I suppose I could work on a list of "things" to help identify the various round hoods and post it on here somewhere. You can't always pinpoint the exact model, but you can get within 10 yards of them most of the time. :thumbs:

DrBailey

:thumbs: Thanks guys , good info with some entertainment and some education!! :thumbs:

Very good , thanks again , I just like to know whats sitting around.

combatmp29r

Hey Doc I see alot of green in there can I assume your a JD collector? :thumbs:

DrBailey

Hey Doc I see alot of green in there can I assume your a JD collector? :thumbs:

5 green ones Im reluctant to post anything about other colors , I dont want to unintentionally

break any rules. :thumbs: I`m still green here!!! :D

My goal is to have as many different names brands as possible in the time I have left to play on this Earth. BTW , I did bring home the D200 today

combatmp29r

Excellent!! Congrats on the D. Don't worry alot of us have odd colored tractors in our herd. Feel free to post pics of them in the other brand section. JD Terry (treed) has some green and I have a 4020 . Little big for the garden, but still green :thumbs:

pond195520032003

Im glad i dont have multi colored tractors :thumbs: :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Ummm Greg i may have to call B^&*S&*( on that one :thumbs: :thumbs:

CasualObserver

Nice job on the ID TT. Doc, that 854 looks like it needs a Dr. :thumbs: I have to agree w/everyone else... a little color in the herd is good. I have a post about my Cub 100 in the other brands section, and this spring (after the thaw and I can get to the garden shed without leaving ruts and footprints) I'll be putting in a one of my MF10.

Keep us posted if you do anything with that, I'd hate to see an old round hood not get restored, but... you can't save them all! Once again... sometimes ya gotta give'm one of these and move them along.

whdonorcard.JPG

TT

There's definitely a few good parts left on it. It might take a little extra effort to get it apart, but that's what torches, sawzalls, and PB Blaster are for! :thumbs:

T-Mo

After reading this thread, I don't know why you guys are :thumbs: TT. Id'ing this tractor was too easy and too obvious. I knew what it was BEFORE I opened up the thread. :thumbs:

CasualObserver

so did I.... A WHEEL HORSE! :thumbs: :thumbs:

combatmp29r

No no Terry we are talking about the partial wheel horse in the forground. Not the JDs behind it :thumbs: :thumbs:

perry

that gas tank would fit right on my 753 i just picked up :thumbs: .

i always thought the 63's where the last to have the aluminum tanks.

TT

that gas tank would fit right on my 753 i just picked up :thumbs: .

i always thought the 63's where the last to have the aluminum tanks.

1961 and 1962 models had the "one piece" tank with the bolt on dash panel. (701's had the plastic dash panel, and the 502/552/702 had a "cast iron" panel) There is a large removable pipe plug in the bottom that is drilled and tapped 1/8" NPT for the sediment bowl to attach.

'61 / '62 tank on ebay

Late in 1962 the "two piece" tanks showed up. These have the dash portion cast in with the rest of the upper part of the tank, and the entire bottom mounting plate is removable. (lots of little screws hold it together) The sediment bowl screws directly in to the bottom plate. These are the ones that were used in 1963 and 1964. (and normally leak at the bottom gasket! :thumbs:)

'63 / '64 tank on ebay