Sign in to follow this  
VinsRJ

Coil Testing

VinsRJ

Does anyone have a good method to test a coil? I have a NOS coil for my Clinton 1200 3.6hp recoil start that reads total resistance at the spark plug lead, while I have the original coil showing about 5 ohms resistance........ Before I button this up I would like to confirm which coil is good. Thanks

VinsRJ

Charlie...... Paul....... Anybody..... :scratchead:

Save Old Iron

this is certainly not Clinton specific advise (cause I know nothing about Clinton's)

BUT IN GENERAL - the primary circuit of an ignition coil is usually 2 - 3 ohms resistance from positive to negative terminal

the secondary circuit, having much more wiring to it to step up the voltage, usually has 10,000 plus ohms reading from the spark tower tower to ground.

Measure both circuits to confirm.

If you are ohming out the secondary windings of both these coils - neither the infinite reading or the low 5 ohm reading sounds right for any secondary winding.

5 ohms for a primary resistance may be ok - make sure your ohmmeter zero's out well on your lowest resistance scale. It could be time to replace the battery in your multimeter - if it has one.

:scratchead:

again this is not Clinton real world experience talking - let me know if I'm totally off-base and need to do some homework on Clinton ignition.