Sign in to follow this  
bell

JB's 2009 plow rig buildup...

bell

I picked up this 1974 B-80 a couple weeks ago from Devin (fritz)... It will be my snow plow rig for this winter.

labordayweekend2009048.jpg

labordayweekend2009051.jpg

The transmission was bad and I wanted a 8-speed, so I picked up a B-100 8-speed and some other goodies for it. I'll update with more tomorrow.

HorseFixer

Looks like a solid tractor Jon! :scratchead: Good luck with it.

bell

Thanks Bob! It is a nice TIGHT tractor. The paint is shot, but most of them come to me that way... lol

The first order of business was to get the noise level down a bit...

I bought this muffler at the Elnora show for $20. It took some :scratchead: to figure out how to fit it in there. I wanted to mount it horizontally above the PTO, but there just wasn't enough room. Here's how it turned out...

b80_004.jpg

b80_006.jpg

It sounds pretty good... MUCH quieter and, more importantly, it clears the deck belt!

bell

Once the exhaust was worked out, it was time to tackle the transmission. Something is broken inside and sometimes when you turn the differential was not differentiating... lol

b80_008.jpg

I swapped in a spare rear out of a 854. Everything worked out well, until I got to the input shaft. Apparently, the newer uni-drives had a longer input shaft. I swapped the pulleys and it probably would have worked, but it just wasn't right.

I was at a friends house, picking up a snow cab and happened to see a engineless B-100 8-speed that looked REALLY solid and clean. I asked him about it and he said that he bought it from his neighbor. His neighbor bought it just for the engine and sold him the leftovers.... A deal was struck and I picked it up this evening.

b80_009.jpg

b80_010.jpg

b80_011.jpg

Here she is without the snow cab...

b80_012.jpg

b80_013.jpg

The snow cab is in decent shape, other than being left outside for years... It's a little faded and the windows are foggy, but after seeing what Jason did, I think it will clean up nice.

That's all for now. Tomorrow, I'm going to swap in the 8-speed and try to decide if I'm going to paint it.

Suburban 550

Knowing you Jon, it'll be a top notch snow moving machine when you're done. :scratchead: You really know how to find tractors and parts. :hide:

can whlvr

nice looking machine,i love those working girls :scratchead:

bitten

Inerested in how the foggy windows come out, I passed on a cab becouse of it now Im starting to think maybe I shouldnt have :scratchead:

Kelly

Sure you don't want to just swap the engine?? if the steering is good that looks like a clean tractor.

bell

I thought about that, but the B-80 has the tool box under the seat... and I like that. I'm just going to take all the "better" parts and put them on the 80...

CasualObserver

Inerested in how the foggy windows come out, I passed on a cab becouse of it now Im starting to think maybe I shouldnt have :scratchead:

PJ... If you check out the this thread you'll see what he's referring to that I did.

D-250 Cab thread from Classifieds Scroll down to see the results. Notice when I started, you couldn't even see the back of the cab through the windshield.

Charlie now has that cab out in PA, he's had it mounted on his D-250. He posted pics after he got it and assembled it.

Charlie's thread

bell

Made a little progress today...

There are now TWO shifters! :hide:

b80_014.jpg

I decided to paint the hood... Once I started sanding, I knew that I would never be happy until it was all painted. So, I loaded it up in the truck and hauled it to the car wash. It's amazing what a couple cans of oven cleaner will do. It is a VERY good cleaner, but you have to be SUPER careful with it. It's straight LYE!!! :ychain:

b80_017.jpg

b80_018.jpg

Here's how she sits right now... Waiting for the weekend and a stack of scotch brite pads. :scratchead:

b80_019.jpg

b80_020.jpg

bitten

Jason

Thank you. I will lower my standers for what I would purchase now that I know it can be cleaned up.

P.J.

KyBlue

Yet another cool project to follow!

JimD

scott, nice work on the 80 so far!! keep those pics comin, lookin forward to the finished product. :scratchead:

bell

Made a little progress over the weekend...

I decided to try some different paint on this one... I used Rustoleum "specialty farm and implement".... I am AMAZED at the results!

chesterhaul001.jpg

chesterhaul003.jpg

chesterhaul004.jpg

chesterhaul005.jpg

This stuff "lays down" SOOOO smooth! It looks like it is still wet, but I took the pics after it sat in the garage by the woodstove all night. I painted the rear wheels, put on some spare fronts and rolled it outside to sit in the sun all day.

VERY pleased with the Rusto! :scratchead:

jusjeepn

Wow Jon! That looks awesome! I might have to give that a try! I found on the 1047 that it is actually cheaper to spray from a gun on the Valspar paint. How does the Rusto compare price wise? Great job! Looking forward to the end result!

Indy w h

Man u do some amazing work!!!! I just looked at ur location

and relized that ur not to far from me. Almost straight east

about an hour. Keep up the good work!!!

bell

Thanks fellas! The paint was just under $5 per can. I'm guesstimating I'll have about 5 or 6 cans on it when it's all said and done.

Duff

Made a little progress over the weekend...

I decided to try some different paint on this one... I used Rustoleum "specialty farm and implement"....

Jon, which color red did you use from the Rustoleum Farm Implement series?

Duff :scratchead:

bell

Duff, I used the International Red...

HorseFixer

Looks good Jon :hide: and that pic of the Snow Cab is reminding me of mine that I need to get refurbished and mounted on the C-120 before winter. :scratchead:

whfan74

Yeah I need to get my snow crew set up before it get's too cold as well.

You sure do get some quick work done on your tractors! Thanks for allowing us to see the progress.

Keep those pics coming!

jusjeepn

Jon's cab found a new home and here's how the windows turned out

008-2.jpg

009-1.jpg

010-1.jpg

011-1.jpg

I used 3M plastic cleaner and polish with a 4" buffing wheel!

tgranthamfd

Paint and progress looks real good. :scratchead: Keep em comming.

KyBlue

Plastic Windows cleaned up good. I knew that 3m stuff can work wonders. Ive seen it used on Convertible top windows - and Jeep soft top windows in the past.

Keep up the progress!