Sign in to follow this  
goatchay

D-180 with no spark

KB9LOR

Hey Brian,

My dad said the same thing, to just take it back home a maybe work on it in Houston. It is very tempting and I will be hauling back an empty trailer. But I have so much junk lying around right now in such a small yard, I really have no place for it.

Well you could always let the junk stay outside and leave the Horse inside! lol!!

I was hoping to get rid of alot of stuff before I came down but didn't have a chance. I will be putting a few things on craigslist when I get back and hopefully that will make some room.

I know the feeling I got alot to put on there, but the tractors and the engine shop are taking all my time right now lol

It actually would be nice to bring it to Houston and put a coat a paint on it, along with a few other fixes, that way when I moved back to La. next year it would be ready to go.

Sometimes you just got to do it, it would give you a (would say winter project, but you ARE in Houston lol) a side job.

Well, still haven't gotten any additional info on the tranny but it was just too tempting to pass up, so today I really let her rip. Rode around the property at WOT and full speed for quite a while. It was a blast! I really forgot how fast of a tractor it was. It ran wonderfully. Took a couple of pics with my dad on it, it was his birthday today. I'll post them when I get back to Houston this weekend.

You will be okay at the level you are on the tranny, I got a hydro and it took 5 quarts to fill so you are very close on the capacity.

I pressure washed most of the accumulated grease off of it and hit all the grease zerks I could find. I could only find one on the steering, although there is supposedly 2? The one I found was on the bottom of the steering gear, pretty much facing straight down to the ground. Don't know if that is the bell crank zerk or not?

On mine I only have 1 zerk on the steering, just below the small steering gear and that one zerk shoots the grease up on the small gear which in turn puts it on the big gear when turning left and right.

Regarding the model number, it believe it was 1-0601 and calls for 6 quarts of tranny fluid. But I just don't know when I am at 6 qts. because of the lack of the dipstick.

if you drained it and added 4 quarts, you should be low if it calls for 6, your filter may take up to 1/2 quart, I do prefill my hydro filter before putting it on, yeah I know make a little mess, but don't want it dry either.

As dgoyette recommended, I only put 4 into it because he said the all of it will not drain out. It's about an inch from the bottom of the threads, but I just don't know if that's the correct level since I just have the pipe plug and not the dipstick.

I would leave it there for now, at least until you knew for sure, better to be a tad low than a tad high.

BTW, I do travel from Houston to just south of Lafayette La. fairly frequently and have a trailer, so if any other members need things moved along the I-10 corridor in that area, feel free to let me know. Thanks again guys. I'm going to click over to the tranny thread and see if anyone has some insight on the tranny fluid question.

I am in Indiana, so maybe some guys down cajun way can take you up on that offer, tho' I do love that Cajun food!! mmmmmm....Cajun Gumbo anyone??? getting my mouth to watering early this morning! lol!!

Brian

goatchay

Hey guys,

Back in Houston now. Sorry for the delay in responding, spent most of yesterday on the road.

Unfortunately I am headed right back to La. on Sunday morning. A friend of mine was killed testing his race car and I'm going back for the funeral.

Brian, I like your philosphy, but I'm already past that point. The less important junk has been sitting out for a while already :scratchead: That's why I've got some serious cleanup duty ahead of me.

Speaking of junk in the back yard, I do have a trailer back there that is free to anyone on the forum that wants it. I can try and post some pics. It's a unique trailer, I think it was a military trailer or something. It's about 6 x 6, but has an axle on each end. Also has leaf suspension on both axles and the front axles steers. The whole thing is basically made of 1/4" plate. The tongue is several feet long and is cast, with some sort of "Prototype Manufactured by..." on it. It's pretty rusty but should last for years to come considering how thick the construction is.

Yeah, you're right, the term "winter" is usually used loosely around here. Wearing shorts most of the time at Christmas.

Regarding the steering lube, from what I could tell in the manuals, the D series has two lube points on the steering--1 one the steering gear, and 1 on the steering bell crank. I greased one from underneath the tractor but don't know which one it was. I'll have to take a closer look at the manual again.

Funny that you should mention gumbo, by dad made a chicken and sausage gumbo while I was visiting. I like Texas, but I sure do miss La. cooking :hide:

Thanks dgoyette. I would REALLY appreciate that. I would hate to screw up something with the hydro just because it wasn't the correct amount of fluid. According to the manual, it takes 6 quarts and I only put in four as you suggested. But I don't want to overfill it. Maybe if you just held the dipstick up against the side of the transmission, you could ballpark the level. Although I guess your idea is better and more precise, just measure the distance up to the "full" mark. I checked it again after running it around for a little while, and it was still about 1" below the level of the threads.

I just got off the phone with my dad and he said that he's just been joyriding on it around the property for the last two days. I want to thank everyone again for the help in getting it running again. I took a couple of pics before I left. I'll try and post the asap.

Thanks again,

Chris

dgoyette

Chris,

First condolences on the loss of your friend. Hope you are doing ok and thoughts to his family.

Glad to hear your dad is joyriding the D. Sounds like you have helped make him very happy to get the D going!!

I measured the dip stick. From the very top to the full is 5 1/4 inches and to the low mark is 6 inches. So if you are within about 5 1/4 down from the filler neck you are probably pretty good.

Darren