Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Pond Project "part 2"

T-Mo

Stephen,

That's awesome. Congratulations on getting her on her first drive. :thumbs: Looking good too. :thumbs:

Rollerman

Thanks guys for the comps!

I'm in from the garage as I type rebuilding a second carb I'll try tommorrow.

Hopefully that will go a long ways in makeing it run "better"...the original was pretty cruddy when I got inside it.

The gas tank has a black tar substance in it that will take a wile to clear out too.

I did the keroseen trick with nuts & bolts inside shakeing around...that helped a bunch.

Couple things to mention....the clutching is weird!

It's an over center PTO style clutch..you rock the peddle forward & lock it in & she jumps forward.

Also the rear tires sat flat for so long the have a permanent flat spot so it has a waddle to it. :thumbs:

Here's another pic...the exhaust is temp till I get a correct peice.

1946PondLeverSteer006.jpg

CasualObserver

Congrats Stephen, that looks really good. Nice job, and I hope you enjoy your prize! :thumbs:

refracman

And you was worried bout havein it ready for the Penn show. :thumbs:

Nice job on it:clap: and theres a smile ajax cant wash off!

I cant wait to see it close up. On our next trip out that way rustlin we are goin to have to stop by

nylyon

You have resurrected a piece of history so this is history in the making! Great work!

kj4kicks

Don't look now, but somebody done stole your steering wheel ! :thumbs:

j/k ... Looks great Stephen ! Nice Job !!

Rollerman

Don't look now, but somebody done stole your steering wheel !

That must be why my spinner don't fit...no steering wheel. :thumbs:

Stigian

Nice work Stephen, the ol Pond is looking good :thumbs: :thumbs:

TR_DIGGER

:thumbs: Congrats Stephen Great work! :thumbs:

That Pond looks better than I first seen it.:D

p.s. get a hair cut you hippie

Jim_M

It's made a lot of progress since I saw it 2 weeks ago. Congratulations!

Sparky

Thats awsome Stephen!! Looks great! So will the other one be a parts machine or will it get the same treatment as this lucky tractor?

Mike......

Rollerman

So will the other one be a parts machine or will it get the same treatment as this lucky tractor?

Mike......

Hey Mike eventually yes....I semi rushed through this one because I wanted one done.

When I start the other I want to take a bit more time at it & get the paint 100%.

I'm happy to say "& proud" I did not rob one part off the other to get one running. :thumbs:

Rollerman

Since the first tractor is nearly done...waiting on one more part & I'll get the engine painted & be finished.

I brought my other Pond Lever around to put it in the "hot spot" & start working on it.

With some incentive from a friend I have decided to just do a mechanical restoration & leave the cosmetics in the as found state since it apears to be the original paint.

On the agenda for this one is a trip to the car wash for a good scrubing, after it drys I'll wipe it in fuel oil to prevent rust & bring some of the color back, I have 2 parts engines along with the original & I'll be useing the 3 to make 1 good one for it, then last but not least 4 new tires & tubes.

0304081729.jpg

T-Mo

Stephen,

I can't wait to see both of these when you're done. The restore one and the original painted one. So I take it both engines will run? How much work do you need to get the second one in running and driving condition?

TT

On the agenda for this one is a trip to the car wash for a good scrubing, after it drys I'll wipe it in fuel oil to prevent rust & bring some of the color back,

Hey Stephen.....

There was a fellow who recently passed away that used to bring his 1920-ish Fordson F to the NAMA show every year. (his boy brings it now since his Dad is gone. :thumbs: )

I used to ask him what kind of wax he used to make it shine like that and he'd faithfully reply "WD-40". :thumbs:

The Fordson was in his family since new and was 100% original. Almost all of the paint was worn off and he chose not to repaint it because it wouldn't have been original anymore.

It was well preserved and there wasn't a SQUEAK to be heard! :D

Rollerman

So I take it both engines will run? How much work do you need to get the second one in running and driving condition?

Terry (JD) the tractor itself is in better condition than the 1st one.

I believe it to have the original paint, there are no extra holes in the frame & everything is there.

The hard part will be scaleing the rust off the inside of the rear wheels & covering that area with a rust preventative, buying 4 semi expensive tires :thumbs: & reringing an engine.

I used to ask him what kind of wax he used to make it shine like that and he'd faithfully reply "WD-40".

TT thanks for the tip...be a lot easier than soaking it in deisel. :thumbs:

Jim_M

There used to be an old guy down the road from where I grew up that had an old Lincoln town car with really worn out paint. Every Saturday afternoon he would wash it, dry it and wipe it down with diesel fuel fuel so it would be shiny when he drove it to church.

It didn't look too bad for a day or two, probably would have worked even better if he wouldn't have lived on a stone road!

CHARGER9AUTO

Thanks guys for the comps!

I'm in from the garage as I type rebuilding a second carb I'll try tommorrow.

Hopefully that will go a long ways in makeing it run "better"...the original was pretty cruddy when I got inside it.

The gas tank has a black tar substance in it that will take a wile to clear out too.

I did the keroseen trick with nuts & bolts inside shakeing around...that helped a bunch.

Couple things to mention....the clutching is weird!

It's an over center PTO style clutch..you rock the peddle forward & lock it in & she jumps forward.

Also the rear tires sat flat for so long the have a permanent flat spot so it has a waddle to it. :thumbs:

Here's another pic...the exhaust is temp till I get a correct peice.

Steve, :thumbs: for your Pond Lever Steer tractor restoration. Ben

kpinnc

It still amazes me you found two at the same time, Stephen.

And to think only 50 were built! 60+ years later, you found 2??!!

With all the "great finds" people have posted on this site, and there have been quite a few, I still think your's was easily one of the best. Quite possibly THE best!

Did the seller have any stories or history on them? Gotta be exciting working on both machines.

Can't wait to see one!

Kevin

nylyon

I really like the restore one and leave one original, they will make a great pair at shows!

Rollerman

Kevin it was kind of an estate sale where I found them.

I was under the impressione the guy who owned them was kinda odd & a loaner...there was a lot of stuff this place & still is.

Anyways he passed away & his son came up from FL to handle the property & got stuck with a real mess.

I don't think he knew anything about them or really cared...only wanted the money & to clear out the mess to sell the property.

He has sold the property to my employers who will be makeing more farmland into sub divisions.

It will be interesting this year when I'm back in there for work paveing or doing dirt work knowing that I'll be in the same spot even though everything will be cleared away.

perry

thats a sweet ride :thumbs: . you did a awsome job.

i like the idea of leaving the other one in original paint.

kj4kicks

Looking good Stephen ! Can't wait to see them in person.

Greg B.

Stephen,

It's gratifying to feel the sense of history in your words. To have two, of only sixty built, must be a satisfying, as well as awsome responsibility. In my other hobby, we occasionally come across real gems of historical significance. In those rare instances, we seldom see ourselves as owners, but more as stewards caring for these items until the next generation of caretakers emerges.

Congratulations on the restoration and preservation of two excellent pieces of industrial archaeology.

Greg B.