Sign in to follow this  

551 UNIDRIVE TRANSMISSION

HI, I BOUGHT A 551 FOR MY SON, WHICH HAS BEEN SITTING FOR A LONG TIME. THE TRANS IS LOCKED UP. BEEN SITTING ON CONCRETE FOR A LONG TIME. TRIED FILLING IT WITH KEROSENE AND LETTING IT SIT FOR A WEEK.SHIFT FORK SHAFTS WERE STUCK. WELL, ITS APART NOW. ALL GEARS AND SHAFTS ARE VERY GOOD. TORRINGTON BEARINGS ARE INTACT BUT SOME ARE FROZE. SUBMERGED CASES IN MURATIC ACID OVERNIGHT. CASES ARE CLEAN NOW. BUT I AM GOING TO HAVE TO HAVE SEVERAL BEARINGS A GASKET AND AXLE SEALS. WERE DO I GET PARTS? CANT FIND THEM ON THE INTERNET. THANK YOU JIMMY IN N.C.

sorekiwi

Gaskets and seals are available through your Toro dealer, the gasket is $3 or $4. Seals are available through NAPA as well, but they normally have to order them.

All the needle rollers are available from Motion Industries, the last set I got was about $80.

The 2 roller bearings on the diff are only available from Toro, and are about $60 each. Save them if you can!

bowtieguy

I buy most of my bearnings from IBT in Kansas....try www.ibtinc.com ....ususally about half the price of a dealer....

tgranthamfd

Which bearing numbers do you need? Maybe coadster will see this, he just rebuilt his 551 transmission. He has a post in the work in progress section, as well.

Duff

Jimmy, also try this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11330

Toward the bottom there's a post with a PDF bearing cross-reference chart that's very useful. I used it to order my bearings from Motion Industriers and it was right on the money!

Duff :scratchead:

HorseFixer

Jimmy, also try this thread:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=11330

Toward the bottom there's a post with a PDF bearing cross-reference chart that's very useful. I used it to order my bearings from Motion Industriers and it was right on the money!

Duff :hide:

Thanks for the link Duff yep Motion Industries is where I get all my stuff too! :ychain: Never had anything they couldnt match yet! :scratchead:

Coadster32

Kaman is where I get my bearings from. McMaster Carr has some great double sided seals for the axles as well. :scratchead: I haven't used Motion, but I may try them in the future.

thanks to all that replied. i have came to the conclusion that i am going to have to rob the one out of the 700 for now. after cleaning, i need a cluster shaft and all bearings. cash is tight. wife is pregnant. i guess i'll use what resources i have for now. thank you, everyone. jimmy