Sign in to follow this  
Wilsonrl48747

C 121 Hydro leak?

Wilsonrl48747

Found a 1979 C 121 automatic for sale locally here and went to look at it. It seems to run fine, needs a new choke cable but when I looked closely at it, the trans fluid fill tube seems to be leaking. I am going to try and attach a picture I took with my cell phone. I am trying to decide to buy the tractor or not. I know nothing about hydrostatic transmissions so I am hesitant.

Is it possible that there is an O ring around the base of the fill tube is just bad, or could this be indicative of something major wrong? I drove the unit and it seemed to engage fine, but I have no idea how to gauge how much torque I should be getting.

The guy wants $300 for it, no deck, no attachments or anything else.

I guess I am hoping to get some advice on what to check regarding the leak, and if it would be worth the $300.

I already have a 1977 C120 at home, so I imagine a lot of the parts would be interchangable at the very least. I was hoping to use the C120 to keep a snowblade on it and use the C121 for mowing.

Thanks in advance :scratchead:

Attached Image

post-74-1253398316.jpg

Sparky

Looks like the fliud is running down the tube from the top :scratchead: ?? I'm thinking someone tried to add fluid to quickly and it "burped" out and ran down the dipstick tube. These trannys are sealed up real tight and adding fluid can be real tricky as air needs to escape from the same tube that your pouring the tranny fluid down.

Mike.........

Rollerman

Rob I think Mike called it.

Looks like the seller did a sloppy job adding some trans fluid.

Wipe it down best you can....maybe even spray it with some break clean then take it for a nice long test drive.

Run it long enough to get the trans warmed up....if it feels strong & the trans fluid hasn't turned into a bigger mess you should be set.

pfrederi

Leaks can be fixed...more important is teh hydro in good shape. Get it fully warmed up then try going up and down steep grades....

I know people like hydros and they have advantages but buying a used one is always a risk. They can be very expensive to repair...

Wilsonrl48747

OK, good things to try.

IF the owner has over filled the trans, I am assuming that is bad, but I don't know enough about hydro statics to know if that is the case.

is it a big deal if it was overfilled, or is it possible that the trans bubbles over when its full and gets warm?

So much to learn about the hydro's. I read through all the threads here regarding hydro transmissions, and got a lot of good stuff, but still.... I guess I am being over cautious.

Thanks

Rollerman

Rob the thing about Wheel Horse hydro's is most use the trans case as a resevoir.

So you fill via the small fill tube where your seeing the leak or excess fluid.

It's almost impossible to fill a hydro without some of the oil or ATF (depends again on model & year) gurgleing out of the fill tube makeing a mess as the air escapes the trans case.

It could be the seller just serviced it or topped of the fluid level a bit.

If you can "or the seller" clean it up some, test drive the tractor long enough to get it warmed up & you don't see any further mess....I wouldn't be to concerned.

can whlvr

every one has given you great advice,i just bought a 1975 c 120 auto for parts for my c160,if the tranny is strong up where i live in ontario thats a fair price even if it leaks a little bit.