Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

K181 Valve

N.C. horserider

The exhaust valve was stuck open when I got this. Got it freed up and engine runs great but there is a little ticking that I can hear. I sprayed it with some PB Blaster and letting it soak in for a while before I start back up hoping that maybe valve will drop all the way. No luck with the PB blaster I think it's hanging up on the guide. Should I wait and see if the valve will drop or just take off the head and clean out the combustion chamber that may have carbon buildup holding the valve partially open? How hard is it to remove the valve not quite sure the manual is a little vague?

pfrederi

If you have a valve spring compressor it is not a difficult job. with out a compressor it is very frustrating if not impossible.

You remove the head and the breather cover. Use the compressor to compress the spring and remove the two valve keepers. (usually they will fall off by themselves) Valve will lift out.

Get some valve grinding compound and a suction cup on a stick to lap the valve and the seat.

When you go to reassemble put some grease on the valve retainers...makes them stick to the valve stem. After installation check the gap between the stem and the tappet. If it is not with in spec you will have to take the valve out again and grind the end if it is too tight. If it is too loose you will need a new valve (Frankly I would just live with it if it is a bit loose. ...may loose some power but you won't burn the valve....(too tight a setting burns valves loose is cooler. (Note K181 and smaller did not have adjustable valves teh bigger engines had tappets that could be adjusted)

jerrell

:scratchead: Mike , i had the valves sticking on my 17hp Kohler ran really rough, was going to pull the valves and work on them, an old friend came over and he rebuilds small engines and told me to watch him, he took a 1/4 cup of auto tranny fluid , reved the engine up poured the fluid down the carb, that thing smoked like you wouldn't believe, the motor cleaned up almost immediately and quit smoking in about 5 min. havn't had a bit of trouble since,

never heard of this before but i saw him do it and my motor runs perfectly now.

go figure. :hide:

KB9LOR

I have done it on v-8 engines, it does work, and see no reason it won't work in his situation, I would do that before tearing those valves out.

Brian