Sign in to follow this  
wesley

Hand controls

wesley

Now that the parts l needed are here or are in the pipe line so to speak, l have now got to think about altering the clutch / brake to hand control as my legs dont work very well , so have any of you ever done this or any tips to get my brain working on this , want to make it look nice as well as work ok for me, do toro do legs lol.

wes

TT

What do you intend to use your Raider for, Wes? (pulling a cart, cutting grass, etc.)

That's the first bit of information needed -- to determine where the hand lever can be mounted.

wesley

Very good point, main use for the tractor will be off road transport ie fields etc and intend to make an fit , l think what you folks over that side of the pond call a johhny dump that will go on the back , so l can carry logs an tools etc, but dont intend to do any mowing with this tractor, next one mybe.

wes

TT

I guess I should have asked this in my first post -- but which hand would you prefer to use to operate the lever?

Most of the tractors with hand clutches that I have been around have the lever on the right side -- would that suit? (that would place it opposite the lift lever on your Raider)

wesley

Well it would be nice to have it on the same side as the lift lever, but then would it be in the way, l would get used to it if it was on the other side, whatever side it on , l think it will fill strange till l get used to it, you are being very kind with your help.

wes

Mith

Wes, I was looking to do the same thing, with the clutch anyway.

I was thinking of making a handle that comes directly up ( a kink in it to move it towards the back of the tractor) from the arm with the pulley on it that tensions the belt, so the lever would be alongside the seat.

I'll be interested to see what you come up with, I'll probably take a closer look at it this weekend.

TT

Actually, the same side as the lift lever is better because that's the side the clutch/brake pedal and linkage rod is on.

If you are not going to be lifting and lowering attachments all the time, it shouldn't be a problem having both levers on one side. The hand clutch/brake lever can be installed in addition to the foot pedal, allowing you to use whatever one is more convenient for you.

Nick

Wes,

For something simple and easy to remove you can clamp a handle onto the clutch. I have a picture of what a friend did on one tractor. This is the one picture I do have showing his clamp on handle. You might have to zoom in to see it better. I do think he has bolted some on also but I cant find pictures of those.

Clickable thumbnail

th_show004-1.jpg

wesley

Yes l like that picture , that would be a good simple way of doing it, or along them lines any way, think l would remove the pedel plate so my leg could sit long side the lever, oh dear another night of thinking , this is just great , what do you think of that mith.

wes

Rollerman

Wes here's another shot of the same tractor.

I'm typeing to the owner right now & says it's the best pic he has. :thumbs:

3ab9.jpg

TT

I don't know how good this drawing will look on here, but this was my plan from a while back for a hand clutch lever so my friend's son could drive a "big tractor" and not have to worry about trying to reach the pedal.

I was going to use the two bottom hood stand bolts to fasten a bracket to the frame. A piece of 1 1/2" X 1/4" flat steel bent to clear the clutch/brake rod would be fastened to that frame bracket with a shoulder bolt or a bolt with a bushing so it could pivot freely. The hand lever would be welded to the top of the flat steel. (I had intended on using 7/8" OD tubing so a handgrip from a bicycle could be used.)

A rod would run from the bottom of the lever to a tab welded to the bottom of the existing clutch/brake rod.

The right footrest would need notched for clearance, and the lever would need appropriate bends to clear the dash, etc.

This certainly isn't a blueprint, but perhaps you'll get an idea where I was headed:

handclutch.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

Dumb question... :thumbs:

Mods are fun, so don't get me wrong but...

wouldn't it makes sense to find someone willing to swap tractors (or find some other way) to get a hydro.

Have fun... :thumbs:

TT

wouldn't it makes sense to find someone willing to swap tractors (or find some other way) to get a hydro.

That might be an option here in the USA, but it doesn't seem like Wheel Horses in general are readily available in the UK, and the automatic models are probably even tougher to find. :thumbs:

Stigian

Morning Wes

Just a thought here, how easy is it for you to get on and of your Raider?

You need to find the best place and size/shape of clutch lever that wont give you problems er.. mounting your horse.

A hydro would be the easy way to go, finding one would be the problem though.

They dont come up often on ebay.

Give me a shout if you need a hand Wes :thumbs:

wesley

Hi all , yes a hydro would be nice but to be honest l just love this raider and want to use it, plus finding a hydro would be dam hard over here, well a wheelhorse , no its going to be hand control, and yes lan getting on and off was going to be a problem, can do it but it will be hard, so as it needs a new seat l will make the seat so it swivels round for me, so will just lift leg over the steering wheel, be ok with that , and the same here lan if you ever need a hand then shout.

wes

Stigian

Good ideas on the swivel seat Wes :thumbs:

Im guessing your going to fit a locking :thumbs: to keep the seat in the forward position.

wesley

Big smiles lol , yes lan will fit a locking thingy :thumbs:

wes

Stigian

well we cant have the seat turning and you being thrown off while doing hand..er.. foot brake turns :thumbs: