Sign in to follow this  
Country Cadillac

spindle bearing removal

Country Cadillac

Hello folks..just a quick question if I may....I am about to remove the old spindle bearings in my 48" side discharge wheel Horse deck after the key in the shaft blew a large chunk of the shaft apart and I figured as long as the shaft had to be replaced, I thought it would be a good idea to replace the bearings as well. So....I would like to know how to do that so I don't mess up the spindle itself. I checked about downloading the manual, it didn't seem to be available for downloading. :scratchead: Thanks for your time.............Ray

WH nut

Remove the snap rigs and press them out

Country Cadillac

Thanks for the info WH nut and I will try that and I assume that you would press them out the snap ring end. thanks again.........Ray

Sarge

Yes, they go out the direction of the snap ring end. I made a simple tool with a piece of heavy wall 1/2"ID x 3/4"OD tubing - left about 1/2" of it stick through a larger 3/4"ID x 1"OD piece tack-welded onto the smaller tubing. This allows it to sit square on the bearings and being 8" long it will reach all the way through the spindle housing. Works out well, I can use it to drive the bearings out as well as install the new ones.

Sarge

Country Cadillac

Sarge...things got crazy here, sorry about the slow response, but that sounds like a great tool to have in the box. I was able to get them out with the help of a little heat from my B-tank. Once the housing got warmed up a little, they tapped right out with a large socket and mallet. I really appreciate the all the help that everyone offers....it's the way it should be..thanks again Sarge....................................Ray

Sarge

Ray, it's things like this spindle that drive me to invent new tools. I try very hard to keep them simple/generic since there are so many times they serve duty on something I hadn't intended them to be used on....

Sarge

billyban1

I've rebuilt the last couple decks without removing the spindle housing from the deck. I've never had any that was too tight to just tap it out with a properly fitting socket and a hammer. Last one I rebuilt this spring (all three spindle housings) cost me about $80 for the 6 new bearings. I replaced the blades and repainted the deck, and it was like a new mower. I repainted all the sheet metal on the 310-8, set it in the front yard and sold it in two hours.