Sign in to follow this  
scifi4all

Need Help!

scifi4all

HELP! :scratchead:

I tried to mow. I say tried because when I engaged the mower deck it would not spin up to speed. I got off and checked everything, belts were tight and the mower deck spun free. I got back on and engaged it and it spun up to speed. Started to mow and did'nt get 50 feet before it slowed to near stop.

The last time I mowed, I started out in 2nd gear; the grass was higher than I thought and the deck got clogged bringing it to a stop; or so I thought. Now I think it may be something else. Not exactly sure and I am hoping someone has some ideas!

Everything on the deck is nearly new. See Deck Post

:hide:

Save Old Iron

When the deck stops rotating , did you check to see if the PTO is still rotating ?? (clutch / PTO issues)

Is the mower belt still moving ?? (belt slip / mule drive adjustment)

:scratchead:

scifi4all

The belt is not slipping on the PTO. I have never taken the PTO apart, but I am leaning toward it being the issue, but what could the problem be?

jtmoyer

did you check the tension on the pto engagement lever? if it moved it will not hold the clutch tight and cause the problem. i had that issue when trying to till. i could mow all day but when i went to till the ground would stop the pto from spinning.

just a thought, jason

scifi4all

I didn't check it or change it. But I will look at it tomorrow. Would I be correct to assume that it needs to be adjusted over time due to wear on the friction plate? Probably a stupid question to ask.

Thanks for the advice.

Duff

I didn't check it or change it. But I will look at it tomorrow. Would I be correct to assume that it needs to be adjusted over time due to wear on the friction plate? Probably a stupid question to ask.

Thanks for the advice.

Not a stupid question at all! I believe the answer is yes which is why, at least on the later 300's and 400 series machines I know a little bit about, the PTO clutch rod has an adjustable trunnion at the end.

Duff :scratchead:

scifi4all

I think mine has an adjustable trunion on it. I am going to the garage to look at this right know. I should know better and search an issue before asking a question. I did a quick search and found a similiar posting. Sorry for bother, but I do appreciate the advice guys :scratchead: .

can whlvr

Hope that it is just an adjustment,otherwise it could be the friction disk,look at it when you are adjusting.

scifi4all

Found the trunion at the end of the threads. I did'nt get to run it yet, neighbors are sleeping, but I will try tomorrow. Friction plate is not worn away to the rivets yet.

gwgdog66

Found the trunion at the end of the threads. I did'nt get to run it yet, neighbors are sleeping, but I will try tomorrow. Friction plate is not worn away to the rivets yet.

I had that happen to my C-160 several years ago. I wound up taking the trunion two full rounds clockwise to tighten it up enough to get the cluch to hold.

It's a good idea to back it off first, squirt some PB Blaster on the threads, wait al little while, and then tighten it up. I've herd that sometimes the cluch rod will strip the threads if it hasn't been adjusted in a while.

M550

Hi all,

Are the blade free to spin? Seems to me that it might be the accumulation of grass / debris under the mower. When did you clean it "properly" underneath?

My 2 cents. :scratchead:

Ltr, Didier

scifi4all

Thanks for the help everyone. I feel like I called the repair man to fix the stove only to find out it isn't plugged into the socket!

I adjusted the trunion, two turns, and it mowed like a dream last night. For the last month and a half it was slipping just enough to make me think it was the extreme lawn growth we have been having. I kept having to mow in 1st gear. Sometime it is just the simple stuff that slips by.