Sign in to follow this  
1973Auto

Oil creamy white

1973Auto

Hello all. My 12 hp Kohler has oil that is creamy white. Not all the oil but the end of the dip stick has this on it. I know this means something, but don't remember what. It has been VERY cold in my parts lately. -20 wind chill, and lows around 0. Would this have something to do with it, or is this sign of something more serious. Or would just an oil change take care of this. Thanks. :thumbs:

nylyon

It means there is water in the oil. Change the oil and check again. If you use the tractor for snow blowing or plowing a little water can get in there.

Rollerman

Karl is right...sounds like some moisture in the oil...since it's an air cooled engine will rule out a coolant leak. :thumbs:

If the tractor had sat for a while it can build up condensation in the crank case that will cause this too.

Like Karl says...just do an oil change & keep an eye on it.

TT

If you have been running the tractor in this cold weather, the heat inside the engine will cause the condensation that Stephen mentioned.

Running them for short periods of time and not allowing the engine to reach full operating temperature will make the problem worse. (you'll still get condensation regardless, but the heat will burn more of the moisture out of the oil.)

1973Auto

Thanks all. We've been getting a lot of snow the past week along with sub zero temps and blowing snow, gusts around 40 mph. (South of Buffalo NY) I have noticed snow under the hood and around the gas tank. I think some snow was also around the oil tube, so when it melted it may have run down it. Iol change on the way.

WheelHorse_of_course

uh... ehr.... eh..... :thumbs:

I hope this is not prohibited (Karl, let me know) but here is a pretty good discussion of just this phenomena from another site...

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/t...3722399.html?18

uh.. I hope that helps :thumbs: 8)

nylyon

Got no issues with linking to another site with good information. It is MUCH better than copying the information and creating a new post here. It's always best to give credit where credit is due even if it's on another site!

Good link, thank you!

T-Mo

Got no issues with linking to another site with good information. It is MUCH better than copying the information and creating a new post here. It's always best to give credit where credit is due even if it's on another site!

Good link, thank you!

Karl is right, that's good info and we should acknowledged the link. Now, when it comes to blame, we also want to pass it on.... :thumbs:

pond195520032003
ditto.gif on what Terry said :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Thanks guys. The site is growing so fast :thumbs::D that we newbies need to be cautious.

Your replies reassure me once again that this place rocks!! :thumbs: