Sign in to follow this  
wh500special

The Senior comes home

wh500special

This morning Larry G and his brother from Winslow, IN paid me a visit and dropped off this:

DSC05031.jpgDSC05034.jpg

DSC05038.jpgDSC05032.jpg

As you can imagine, I am thoroughly excited to have this awesome tractor parked in my garage. I know Larry watches this board, so I want to say :scratchead: to him for being so accommodating, patient, and for doing such a wonderful job bringing this machine back to its original glory. He is a true gentleman and a really great guy to have in this hobby.

Larry went home with three tractors, a couple odds and ends, and a little of my savings account today. I suspect that at least 2 of those he is taking south will be hitting the pull circuit soon and will look better than they ever did when they rolled off the assembly line at Ireland Road. I

whfan74

Wow what a great addition. I know how much you appreciate the history and am glad that you have finally acquired one. That is a fantastic looking machine! :scratchead:

Congrats again! :hide:

JimD

congrats on accomplishing your dream. truly a beautifully restored senior. i'm jd green with envy right now... :hide: :scratchead:

dr74go

Steve,

Great looking tractor. Congratulations on getting it.

I am still a WH newbie, but have been around antique farm equipment and engines most of my life. I think this is the first time I have seen one of these. Where would be the best place to find some history and specs on this machine? This looks more like a small tractor than a mower. What type of engine, tranny, and rear axle are used? I tend to ask many questions when I see something unusual.

Thanks,

D.L.

hoosier

Livin the dream! Looks great. Enjoy your new find. Are you gonna throw a sleeping bag beside it tonight? :scratchead: I know I would.

Retired Wrencher

:scratchead: :hide::ychain::ychain: all I can say WOW what a dream come true

bell

AWESOME Steve!!!! :scratchead:

Can I drive it? :hide:

wh500special
I think this is the first time I have seen one of these.

wh500special

Can I drive it? :scratchead:

You betcha! C'mon up!

Steve

bell

:scratchead: It'll probably be a couple weeks.... :hide:

jusjeepn

Steve, That is awesome! Congrats!!! Did you park it by the 420? :scratchead:

Brian1045

Congrats on your purchase...That was a nice story. This is one of the reason I love this hobby! :scratchead:

Save Old Iron

Congtatulations on the find :scratchead:

Suburban 550

Congrats Steve. :scratchead: That is one awesome machine I would love to have in my collections. :hide:

dr74go

Steve,

Thanks for the information. I know that many older tractors used parts from other vehicles and figured this was true with the Senior as well. Now I know.

It is an excellent find and looks great. I hope you enjoy it.

D.L.

stevinator

Beautiful Tractor and the 46 is great too. :scratchead:

bitten

Steve:

He didnt restore that, he stole it from me and I want it back :scratchead:

I bet you are a very happy man, I now that I would be. My problem is I would want to make my shop( 100x60) climate controled with a couple of pitbulls.

I would luv to see that in person as I'm sure the pictures cant do it justis.

Thanks for sharing.

P.J.

TJ

Fantastic. :scratchead:

wh500special

Thanks again, folks.

Larry said that this one was actually in pretty decent conditon before he started, but I think he's just being modest about how nice of a job he did on it. You can really tell he put some time into this thing. Very talented guy.

Pat, it is nestled in right next to the 420, the 520-8, a C-160, and a Cub Cadet :scratchead: diesel. Seems to be a nice fit in the garage. In the time that 420 has been here it's only been out of the garage one time! I just can't bring myself to run it much and accumulate hours! My daughter thinks it's hers...

When I finally get my shuffling between IN and IL taken care of I think it will be time for a "lineup" picture. I'm lucky enough now to have models ranging from '46 up to about 2000. Might have to be a wide angle shot though.

The collectors of this brand are pretty lucky that many of the rare and unusual pieces have been remarkably well preserved. At the show one year an informal count was made of all the Seniors and Levers that were known of (still in existance) and it was a remarkably high percentage. Our tractors have largely weathered the years well which is surprising to me.

And we're lucky that Cecil Pond has enjoyed reasonably good health and is still with us. Not many collectors of other brands can boast that they've had an opportunity to meet the people responsible for their hobby.

The early ones are getting tougher to come by. A dozen years ago only a handful of people would have recognized a Lever or a Senior. Now it seems there are hundreds of us combing every woodpile and fencerow for these things from sea to shining sea.

There are still a lot of gems out there - that recent early RJ-35 on eBay is a good example - but we've all pushed up the prices a bit. It only took me 20 years to find a Lever and a Senior, who knows - God willing - what will turn up next.

Steve

Coadster32

Congrats to you. Looks like a real beaut!! :scratchead:

Doubletrouble

Congrats on completing your goal!! But now you'll have to set new ones. That's a great lookin tractor and a great peice of our history!

bustedglass

Steve : All I can say is :scratchead:WOW :hide: . Congrats and enjoy .

Greg Parnell

YEA!!! Congrats on reaching your goal! Great Looking tractor too!!

gwgdog66

:hide: SWEET!! :scratchead: