Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

winter 2009 - 2010

nylyon

Here in Southeast New York the leaves are already turning and falling. It's been a cool summer and I couldn't help to wonder.... "What will the winter 2009 - 2010 be like this year?"

I did a little searching and found this. Basically it's saying that this year (if we follow trends) will be cold and snowy.

Looks like we'll be getting some pictures of the snow fleet going soon!

T-Mo

It has been a mild summer here in Missouri also. More rain than we're used to and no triple digit days. If I was to believe the old myths and legends, then we might have a mild winter also. According to the old sayings that I heard, if a hornets' nest is up high, look for a bad winter. If it's lower to the ground, mild winter. Well I saw a hornet's nest low to the ground, so........ :scratchead:

bell

Same here Terry... We've got a hornet's nest and It's only about 2 feet off the ground.

clintonnut

Right now it is about 55F and it is still summer. I think we are going to have a lot of snow and it is also an El Nino year. This is when we get lots of powder. Good thing I got that snow cab!

Charlie

Jim_M

I noticed leaves starting to turn in mid July this year in northern Indiana.

MaineDad

Great interview. I like him too.

Leaves are turning already up here and it's already down in the 30's at night. My neighbor has already ran their woodstove :hide:

I have averaged 40 hours of snow blowing the past two winters and if it's going to be worse this coming winter, I may need to stock up on some extra 10w30. I hate changing the oil in the winter :scratchead:

bustedglass

Was about 84* here today. More of the same tomorrow, and next week looks like. Wont be putting the plow on any time soon :scratchead: .

Rollerman

I've never heard the hornets nest thing?

The inlaws have one about 4' off the ground just off the property line in the woods.

I was thinking that was odd to be that low.

Personally I'm hopeing for a mild winter....like the kind we can keep paveing through.

Like Jim said though....up here in northern IN the leaves are already looking funny. :scratchead:

bitten

Here in western mid Ohio the leaves are falling. Havent seen any Hornets nest or any willy worms but the snow blower for the D200 has fresh oil in it and all the blades have been checked.

D.LaMunion

Here in Central New York, leaves are turning and its getting alot more chillier out. Cant wait to let my horses play in the snow!

WHC-125

I cant wait to finish the restore I have been working on of my C-125 is done and I get it out plowing again!

D.LaMunion

i just got done putting both my wheel horses back together after painting them. Just waiting for snow to come to show them off.

Brian1045

Good interview...But did anyone else notice he sounded a lot like Christopher Walken?

:scratchead:

Gene_S

Great thread! :scratchead: I have also heard T-Mo's hornet nest theory. The strange thing I seen this summer was wooly worms in mid summer and we are not in the fall yet. My grampa always said the darker the wooly worm the harder the winter. The wife and I was in the garden just last week and a pretty dark one was making his way around. What a strange summer!

Thnaks,

Gene :hide:

whchris

I am quitting the snow business, :scratchead: 249 hours in the truck last year i can wait to see what this year brings im ready! :hide:

stevasaurus

The leaves are turning here in north east Illinois also. The squirrels (tree rats)

have been hiding walnuts in everything for a month already. Tells me, we will have another great...cold and snowy winter :hide::ychain:

I will be ready and wait like a kid in a candy store for the 4th season. :scratchead:

Hey Naine-Dad...if you are hitting the 30"s already...when do you get ice usually?

I remember being on Big Tunk Lake, east of Sulivan, Me., back in the 1970's...over 3 feet of ice. WOW...can't wait!!! :ychain:

whchris

The squirrels (tree rats)

have been hiding walnuts in everything for a month already. Tells me, we will have another great...cold and snowy winter

kinda reminds me of this joke

It was October and the Indians on a remote reservation asked their new Chief if the coming winter was going to be cold or mild. Since he was a Chief in a modern society he had never been taught the old secrets. When he looked at the sky he couldn't tell what the winter was going to be like.

Nevertheless, to be on the safe side he told his tribe that the winter was indeed going to be cold and that the members of the village should collect firewood to be prepared. But being a practical leader, after several days he got an idea. He went to the phone booth, called the National Weather Service and asked, "Is the coming winter going to be cold?" "It looks like this winter is going to be quite cold," the meteorologist at the weather service responded.

So the Chief went back to his people and told them to collect even more firewood in order to be prepared. A week later he called the National Weather Service again. "Does it still look like it is going to be a very cold winter?" "Yes," the man at National Weather Service again replied, "it's going to be a very cold winter."

The Chief again went back to his people and ordered them to collect every scrap of firewood they could find. Two weeks later the Chief called the National Weather Service again. "Are you absolutely sure that the winter is going to be very cold?"

"Absolutely," the man replied. "It's looking more and more like it is going to be one of the coldest winters ever." "How can you be so sure?" the Chief asked. The weatherman replied, "The Indians are collecting firewood like crazy."

canam1991

the farmer book says its going to be a long cold winter :hide::ychain::ychain::ychain::scratchead: :ychain:

Raider12

According to the old sayings that I heard, if a hornets' nest is up high, look for a bad winter. If it's lower to the ground, mild winter. Well I saw a hornet's nest low to the ground, so........ :hide:

I hope these hornet's here in N.E. Ohio rest right on the ground. If I didn't have to use my snow blade at all would be ok with me :scratchead:

nylyon

Ok Terry (T-Mo) I thought that you were just sipping the sauce a bit with this "hornets nest" theory of yers, so I looked it up. Not only is it dang true, but here are the 20 signs of a cold winter. (Chris, there is no mention of Indians but I told my kids that joke and they laughed their butts off!)

URL Clicky thingy

Duff

Ok Terry (T-Mo) I thought that you were just sipping the sauce a bit with this "hornets nest" theory of yers, so I looked it up. Not only is it dang true, but here are the 20 signs of a cold winter. (Chris, there is no mention of Indians but I told my kids that joke and they laughed their butts off!)

URL Clicky thingy

Dang! One of the "signs" is "Early arrival of the Snowy owl"? Last week I was out in my yard and a snowy owl swooped across the road into the woods behind the neighbors' house. Now I've lived in these parts for most of my 59 years and I have NEVER seen a snowy owl show up before December around here. Also, our crop of acorns this year is incredible, and we did have several foggy days in August. I've got a feeling I'm going to be REALLY sorry I didn't get 312-8 #2 done and a snow chucker on it before the white sh*t hits the proverbial fan around here. :scratchead:

Duff :hide:

CasualObserver

We've had the the "many thick heavy fogs" at the end of August and nearly every day in September. Stevasaurus can attest to the one he drove through coming up here! Lots of acorns laying everywhere and the squirrels have been actively gathering walnuts since early August for sure. Oddly though... our bees are still out in heavy abundance... damn things are everywhere... honey bees, bumble bees, sweat bees.... I dislike bees.

Not that any of that makes much difference though here in Minnesota. I'm pretty much on the same schedule with Micah over there in Maine.... get snow in November and don't see the grass again until April. I think he just get's more snow that I do!

ol550

Pigs gathering sticks?????? :scratchead: Now as to the hornets nest, a friend of mine north of town had one on the side of his house about 12 feet up. YIKES :hide: Mike

nylyon

Pigs gathering sticks?????? :hide:

I read that book when I was a kid and I know how that one turns out. Now if they're gathering bricks :scratchead:

T-Mo

We have hornet's nest low to the ground here, so that indicates a mild winter. But we have some foggy days in August, so "bad winter". Hmm, conflicting signs? :scratchead: