Sign in to follow this  
daleraby

Good "First" Tractor

daleraby

Hello,

I am in the market for a Wheelhorse. I don't need a lawn mower, but I do need something that can pull a harrow, mold board, perhaps a roto-tiller. I don't especially want a hydrostatic transmission... I get along fine with gears. Dual range transmissions are fine. I recently looked a a Raider with a Tecumseh 10 HP. Aside from the unkempt condition, jury-rigged throttle cable, flat tire, age cracks, and bad paint, it might have suited my needs. But then there was the price... which I thought high at $700.00.

Which model Wheelhorse would suit my needs in all your opinions?

Thanks.

Dale

pbradley68

There's a RJ35 1955 Wheel Horse for sale on Ebay but it's a bit pricey and the current bidding is at $2550 (I'm not the seller).

What is the budget range for your future tractor?

daleraby

What is the budget range for your future tractor?

I thought I'd stick to the same rule I apply to used cars: NEVER pay more than a thousand dollars. For the most part, this has served me well for thirty years. Then way, WHEN it breaks down, I have money for parts to repair it.

stevasaurus

:hide: My 2 cents...a raider 10 is about as small as you want to go...I have a 1972 raider 10 with a Kohler that does all that just fine. That $700 seems high for that tractor with that much wrong...I would think you can pick one up in very good shap for around $400 without attachments. Mine is probably worth $400-500 and the paint is in good shape.

2008_071910raider19720008.jpg

hope that helps :scratchead:

truckin88

I picked up a 520-H at the beginning of summer with a plow blade, chains and 48" deck for &820, it had 880 hours, and needed a oil seal kit on the motor, after about 1200 total investment (ags etc, new seat, new belts, etc) I got lucky and sold it for about $1600 on ebay. Which I thought was nutty, but she was very clean and a good runner.

I recently picked up the 312-8, I have always wanted. It was extremely clean, 428 hours, 37" deck w/bagger, and a 48" plow with all hardware, had a new battery, and pto belt. All it needed was a carb adjustment, battery tray and hold down, a choke cable, new air filter, new gas cap (the old one was yellowed), a gas shock for the seat, plug and changed the fluids. I got it for $500, and with the choke cable, filter, plug and fluid change, and the asthetic stuff, that it did not need, but I wanted have about $80 into it, and it is clean.....and perfect, great runner, no leaks so far and starts every time. so for 580, I have what I consider a low hours 312 w/ bagger a plow blade.

Hold out, deals are out there, price range all over the place. End of the season is a good time to buy. Of course my C-120 8 was a hand me down.

VinsRJ

There's a RJ35 1955 Wheel Horse for sale on Ebay but it's a bit pricey and the current bidding is at $2550 (I'm not the seller).

And I thought I was the only one that felt that way.........

C-Series14

It could only be one tractor...

C-Series and an 8-speed...

the defense rests! :scratchead:

pfrederi

I agree a C series 8 speed with a Kohler is an excellent choice. It will give you about the broadest possible selection of implements, parts are readily available I happen to like the Tecumseh motor on my L107...however I know its history. Getting parts for Tecumseh's will probably become more and more difficult. If the one on the Raider has the electronic ignition replacement is very expensive.

daleraby

I agree a C series 8 speed with a Kohler is an excellent choice.

Thanks for all who replied so quickly as I sit here in a gun shop waiting for customers.

What exactly does a "c-series" mean? I gather that they are larger tractors, but I see that at least one of the series is electric... which is not what I'm looking for. The type of engine and condition are not overly important as I will likely re-power it... possibly with a Diesel engine. That was an intriguing thread....

nylyon

First :scratchead:

Since it sounds like you're going to do some ground engaging work, you're going to push the tractor a little more than most. Because of this, you're going to want a machine which was designed for ground engaging attachments. The C-Series as mentioned is one choice, but there is also the D-Series and the 400 series. I personally like the hydro's, but you can easily find an 8-speed machine to suit your needs.

I would think that you would be happiest with a C-120, C-160, 414-8 or a 416-8. The Kohler is a great choice and reliable, but I wouldn't pass up a 416 with a good running Onan on it.

In my opinion $700 was too much for the machine you mentioned and you can do much better.

daleraby

:scratchead: What would be a good first tractor?

The one ya get for free!

Well, I already got one for free, but it wasn't a Wheelhorse, just an old Dynamark. Three speed, aluminum tranny case, stamped metal deck. It came with a ball hitch & dump cart, and a mower. It needed a new battery and some tinkering to free up the butterfly valves in the carburetor. After that, it fired right up. Unfortunately, its not up to the task of some REAL work. So I plan to use it for light work.

Now if anybody knows of a free Wheelhorse somewhere in Wisconsin or vicinity... lemme know!

nylyon

What exactly does a "c-series" mean? I gather that they are larger tractors, but I see that at least one of the series is electric... which is not what I'm looking for.

In 1974 Wheel Horse came out with the ABCD's of tractors. The A-Series was a lawn tractor good for mowing and pulling a small cart. The B Series was a little more heavy duty and good for yard work. The C-Series were more heavy duty with 8 pinion axles and larger engine selection. These were built for doing exactly what you are looking to do. Then there's the D-Series. These were more of a utility tractor with 3 point hitches and beastly looking.

There was also an E-Series which was electric, and there are a couple of members here who own one of those but they are not common.

Later on, the ABCD series were replaced with the 100, 200, 300, 400 and 500 series tractors.

daleraby

The C-Series were more heavy duty with 8 pinion axles and larger engine selection. These were built for doing exactly what you are looking to do.

This sounds like just about exactly what I'm looking for. Now to find one I can buy within driving range of Green Bay...

nylyon

400 & 500 series (and some 300 series) also have 8-pinion differentials, so they are good choices as well,

IthacaJeff

Dale:

Let me add my 2 cents worth. My perspective is not from one who collects WHs,

has no favorite type, but simply appreciates them because how well they

are built and what they can do (and I got mine relatively cheap!).

To keep things simple you'll probably want to stick to a 14 HP (maybe 12) or

higher. A C-series or 400/500 series will do the trick, but the 500 series may

cost you a bit more. My 310-8 with a 10HP Kohler Magnum is beast for snow

plowing and can drag a scraper blade great, but it does not have enough

power to mow the heavy stuff. I would not run a tiller off of it. If you are

going to mow big or attach a tiller for serious work, I'd opt for a minimum

of 12 HP. . . 14+ may be better. Might as will stick to the Kohler engines if

possible, simply for repair cost vs. Onans.

One thing to consider for your $1000 price tag is attachments and hitches.

Look closely at Ebay for prices on clevis/sleeve hitches, tillers, and so forth.

Attachment prices may be equal to the price of the tractor! I'd love to have

a tiller, or at least a disc harrow, for mey 416-8, but they are out of my

price range. I was about to bid on a sleeve hitch, but the price quickly

went up to about $160!! Not to be a heretic, but attachments and hitches

for old IH Cub Cadets seem to be more plentiful and affordable. One thing

youll want is chains, or a set of ag tires.

Keep checking Craigslist and if a bargain appears, act fast. Just yesterday

I responded to an ad for a 414-8 for $325, and looked to be in decent

shape. Sold (probably to a member here!) right underneath me.

Good luck,

Jeff in Ithaca

hodge

I second Jeff.

How much of a hurry are you in? That will play a large part in what you get, along with how saturated your area is (or not). If you can wait, study Horses to learn what is what and what you need, you will also come to realize what is a value and what is not. You will also get a feel for fair prices for your area, and how they relate to Ebay prices. Ebay is not the best place to look, because the prices are outrageous. You will find a decent selection, and just for comparison, you can learn a lot about Horses on Ebay.

You will also need to determine for yourself what is a fair price, and what isn't. I have come to realize, through experience and learning what is in my area, that I can buy a lot of tractor for $700. My 310-8 is now free (sold attachments for more than I paid for the whole tractor, and it is in excellent shape), and I have $300 in a C-101 that is in great shape. So, for me, unless the tractor is something special in some above average shape, I won't pay more than $300 or $400. Regardless of what the seller thinks he/she has. I know the local market.

If you are in a hurry, absorb as much information as you can, liberally use this website, buy you a tractor, and don't kick yourself too hard when later on you realize you could have done better. Lots of us have done that.

Welcome!

Also, fill out your signature. It will help, and maybe someone in your region, on this forum, has something for sale.

daleraby

How much of a hurry are you in?

Not in a major hurry. I have access to full-size agricultural equipment for the Fall working up of the garden plot, but this belongs to someone else. By Spring, I'd like to be able to do my own cultivating and eventually plowing and harrowing by next Fall. Planning to get a copy of Straight From the Horse's Mouth. Should be an interesting read. This seems like a good information site as well.

I've already been contacted via email about a tractor that might suit me. Not sure about a Kentucky road trip, though.

Dale

truckin88

I second Jeff.

How much of a hurry are you in? That will play a large part in what you get, along with how saturated your area is (or not). If you can wait, study Horses to learn what is what and what you need, you will also come to realize what is a value and what is not. You will also get a feel for fair prices for your area, and how they relate to Ebay prices. Ebay is not the best place to look, because the prices are outrageous. You will find a decent selection, and just for comparison, you can learn a lot about Horses on Ebay.

You will also need to determine for yourself what is a fair price, and what isn't. I have come to realize, through experience and learning what is in my area, that I can buy a lot of tractor for $700. My 310-8 is now free (sold attachments for more than I paid for the whole tractor, and it is in excellent shape), and I have $300 in a C-101 that is in great shape. So, for me, unless the tractor is something special in some above average shape, I won't pay more than $300 or $400. Regardless of what the seller thinks he/she has. I know the local market.

If you are in a hurry, absorb as much information as you can, liberally use this website, buy you a tractor, and don't kick yourself too hard when later on you realize you could have done better. Lots of us have done that.

Welcome!

Also, fill out your signature. It will help, and maybe someone in your region, on this forum, has something for sale.

I agree with this, you will pay 60-70% of the ebay price on forums and craigslist, plus you can always negotiate. I always find the cash in hand, truck with ramps approach makes them budge everytime. If they have no way to deliver it for someone, they can only really sell to someone with access to a trailer or truck. My buys were both CL :scratchead:

hoosier

In my opinion, if you are going to eventually pull a moldboard plow, the more horsepower the better. My little 8 horse will do it, but my 16 does it soooo much easier. I also prefer the 4 or 8 speed over the hydro for this.

Red Iron

:scratchead:

Wow, did you get responses! Just shows how helpful this forum is! I have to

agree with the guys taking at least a C series with least 10 HP. I would not

pay $700 for that one with that much wrong with it. You will be surprised

what you can find if you look or even ask around!

BTW, be sure to look at rear of tractor for that slot hitch, that's the

first thing you need for raising that plow or any rear attachment.

Happy horse hunting!

Kelly

I agree, the C is probably the best all around tractor you can get, the 300, 400, ect.. are a C with different tin on them for the most part.

And a tractor that needs that much work for $700 sorry but I've bought them for as little as $75, that ran good and needed some TLC.

My son is thinking of selling his C-145 we just this summer restored it, from the ground up, engine rebuilt, all new seals in trans new paint, decals, ect..... tractor is very nice, we left the mid lift, and PTO off but could be put back on very easy, we have all the parts, he would take $900 obo, here is a picture

IMG_3707.jpg

IMG_3711.jpg

• Like 1