T-Mo

Balancing Gears - in or out

Mickwhitt

Ok, a few hours later I now have one lump rather than many parts.

Time to step back and review the books to see if I have done things properly.

Not sure how to attach photos as yet so I will spend some time mastering that so I can share my progress.

Regards Mick 

Mickwhitt

Ok, a few hours later I now have one lump rather than many parts.

Time to step back and review the books to see if I have done things properly.

Not sure how to attach photos as yet so I will spend some time mastering that so I can share my progress.

Regards Mick 

20190922_160150.jpg

Mickwhitt

I know it probably looks more like a before photo than after but I will do cosmetic work when its actually running lol

Wheelhorse#1

I removed the balance gears from a K301 when I did a rebuild on it.It vibrates some but not to the point to were its bothersome.Higher rpms it smooths right out.

Rick3478
On 7/15/2016 at 8:06 PM, Short Circuit said:

There are two axis of vibration in the engine (this is a simple version). The major axis is the vertical axis of the piston/rod assembly in the cylinder moving up and down as the crank rotates. This vibration is opposed or "countered" by the counter weights on the crank.

In the gear head world, this is usually called primary vibration.

On 7/15/2016 at 8:06 PM, Short Circuit said:

The other "axis" of vibration is the lower end of the rod on the crank as it rotates around, and this vibration is "countered" by the balance gears, but only in a horizontal axis at 90 degrees to the crankshaft, in other words front to back on a Wheel Horse. On a JD, Cub, or other application where the crankshaft is pointing front to back, the balance gear axis is horizontally left to right (90 degrees to the crank).

This is usually called secondary vibration.

Thanks for good explanation @Short Circuit.  I've been reading some of the old threads and just wanted to add a bit.

Because they are not load bearing parts, it was deemed sufficient to manufacture the balance gears with a cheaper (and weaker) sintering process, rather than cast or forged.  So, good enough for stock speeds, but if you spin 'em up bad things can happen, earning the grenade reputation.

For what it's worth, Kohler isn't the only company to have done this, and not only on single cylinder engines.  Father had a Dodge Aries with a four cylinder engine that included a pair of balance shafts geared to the crank.  I won't go into the other shortcomings the car may have had, but the engine was smooth.