Sign in to follow this  
bell

Productive weekend...

bell

I started out the weekend by cleaning out the garage and the "horse port"... That took all day Thursday and most of Friday.

Then, I decided to give my 401 a little attention. It needed a engine swap and some cleaning. I cleaned up the original decals and wiped it down with some brake parts cleaner... I still need to do some more cleaning and I think I'll paint the wheels, but it's a runner now!!! Even starts on the first or second pull! :scratchead:

suburban401a.jpg

labordayweekend2009059.jpg

Made a trip to the hardware store and, after $20 worth of black pipe and fittings, I have a new exhaust. :hide:

labordayweekend2009060.jpg

labordayweekend2009062.jpg

labordayweekend2009063.jpg

bell

Then, I decided to tackle the Ranger "HI CROP"... the gas tank was leaking, so I borrowed the tank from the '62 ranger out back... ('62 ranger on a '65-ish frame... will be getting a diesel and dual 6-12's this winter)

A trip through the blast cabinet and it looked like this...

labordayweekend2009034.jpg

labordayweekend2009035.jpg

I started sanding with 320 grit paper to knock down the imperfections... (wow these tanks are ROUGH once you get the paint off) Then, progressively worked towards 1000 grit paper. After that I gave it a good hand rub with some Mother's mag and aluminum polish. I spent about 3 hours on the polishing, and it needs more. It looks pretty good, but I will work on making it better when the Ranger comes apart for paint this winter.

labordayweekend2009055.jpg

labordayweekend2009056.jpg

labordayweekend2009058.jpg

bell

I have less than 2 weeks before my show and I'm ALMOST ready... I have 4 of the 5 tractors (pretty much) ready... Now, I just have to get the 1075 ready and hang the attachments. Each tractor will have an attachment.

I'm getting pretty excited, this is the first show I have put together... Soo far, there should be somewhere between 20 and 50 tractors there! I'll have LOTS of pics!

bell

Here's the horses all tucked in...

labordayweekend2009066.jpg

labordayweekend2009067.jpg

Kelly

What show?? maybe if time permits I could come??

jusjeepn

Kelly, If your going let me know! My plans could be changed!

Gerry w

Your dually is just amazing.......

you do great work! :scratchead:

Suburban 550

Nice tractors, Jon. :hide: Good luck with your show. :scratchead:

Kelly

Bummer I just mapquested it and I don't think my old truck is up to 600 miles round trip, I wish it was closer.

HorseFixer

Looks good Jon, I see ya haven't got yer extension on the sandblast cabinet yet :scratchead: I was hoping you would carv yers up first :hide: and told me how it worked :ychain: but I guess not! :ychain:

bell

Thanks fellas!

Kelly, it is a bit far... isn't it. :scratchead:

Duke, I never got around to it. I think I'll just save my pennies and buy a bigger cabinet... or make one. This one is just too small. It does work nice for the smaller parts/ pieces though.

dr74go

Jon,

That is a nice looking herd.

I am still a newbie to Wheel Horses, but I may be able to help with polishing your tank. My father caught the vintage Airstream "bug" a few years ago. If you don't know, Airstreams are aluminum travel trailers. I only say this because many people I know do not know what they are. Many of the older Airstreams, mid 60's and older, can be polished to a mirror finish. We have experimented with many types of cleaners and polishes to work on the Airstream. We have used automotive buffing compound, aluminum and mag wheel polish, automotive polishes, engine buffing compounds, you name it and we have probably tried it. The best polish we found for buffing the Airstreams is a product called Nuvite, made by Nuvite Chemical Company. It was designed for use in the aviation industry. It is a paste and comes in different grades depending on what is needed. It is rather expensive, but I can't remember the price off the top of my head. One of the large jars, I think it is about a pint, will polish more than a gallon of automotive buffing compound. To polish, you dip your finger into the paste and make inch long streaks on the part about three to five inches apart. We have used this stuff on all types of aluminum, including sheeting, aluminum valve covers, an aluminum water cooler, intake runners, and chrome VW hub caps. It worked great on all of them. To use this, you need a rotary, grinder style, buffer / polisher. It does not work well with a random orbit buffer.

PLEASE NOTE: This may not work on your gas tank. Some types of aluminum polish better than others and some do not do well at all. It does work better on some parts than others, but it has worked great for us. Some parts need to be smoothed before using the polish, but it looks like you have already started this. I have used intake buffing compounds on other cast parts, and it worked good, but polishing with the Nuvite made it shine more.

If you decide to try it, I hope it works as well for you as it did for us.