Sign in to follow this  
876wheelhorse

paint

876wheelhorse

where do you guys get paint to match wheelhorse red? what color are the wheels suppose to be? is the red rustoleom or is it like dupont for cars ?

kj4kicks

Tons of opinions and options in the Paint section of the forum. There really is no right or wrong answer. It depends on the year, model, and the phase of the moon...

MikesRJ

where do you guys get paint to match wheelhorse red? what color are the wheels suppose to be? is the red rustoleom or is it like dupont for cars ?

Answer the follwoing questions and we can give you an informed answer.

1. What tractor are you re-doing (Model & Year)

2. Do you plan to use a spray gun or rattle can?

3. How close to original color do you want to be?

876wheelhorse

I have a 876 and a 856. They are both 1966 models. So do i mix up some candy red and throw some flake in there. I dont know if i rattle can it or not maybe my friend will let me use his paint booth. good project to learn how to paint...........just have to figure out a good shade of paint

MikesRJ

For a '66 the over-the-counter color match is Valspar-Restoration series-IH RED. It can be bought at Tractor Supply in either the paint can (for mixing and sprayed from an HVLP gun) or in the rattle can. You can have the paint color matched for Dupont, PPG and others, but that is a whole lot more expensive and not much closer than the Valspar.

Here's a picture of my '58 (same color as used on the '66) done with the rattle cans. The plow has the original 51 y/o faded red paint on it; the tractor is recently painted using the Valspar IH Red rattle-can paint. Note the closeness of the color between the two. Side-by-side and in person, they are a very close match if you account for the age-fading.

045d.jpg

876wheelhorse

wow looks good for rattle can. say tsc has that then

MikesRJ

TSC carries both the rattle can and the canned paints/hardners/thinners for spray mixing. The rattle can paint is about $8 per can.

Just an FYI, the Wheel/Seat spray paint is Sherwin-Williams - Controls Rust - Antique White, which matches the original Wheelhorse Linen color. That can be purchased at any Sherwin-Williams Paint Store at about $5 per can, but I am not certain that the '66 rim color was WH Linen.

Electro12WH

Anyone living in the Wisconsin-N. Illinois area, Farm&Fleet also carries the Valspar paint.

Michael Bullington

click my avaitar.....this tractor was done with internal red valspar

MikesRJ

click my avatar.....this tractor was done with internal red Valspar

Michael, I suppose you meant "Valspar International Harvester Red", but was that painted with HVLP?

Mike

linen beige

I am not certain that the '66 rim color was WH Linen.

Yep! Up until at least 1980, with a few off color exceptions.

MikesRJ

Yep! Up until at least 1980, with a few off color exceptions.

Thanks for keeping me straight Jim.

Mike