Sign in to follow this  
Duff

Some success

Duff

Hi, guys!

Been away from the forum for a few days. Glad to be back and catching up on the "news". This is a great place! :hide:

This afternoon I went out to mow the lawn with my trusty #1 312-8. Started perfectly, but as I drove off the engine lost power then died. At first I thought I'd forgotten to turn on the fuel valve at the tank, but that wasn't it. Restarted and ran for a few seconds at full choke then died again and that was the end. Although I suspected a fuel problem, I pulled the plug just to be sure and checked for spark - plenty. Pulled the fuel line at the intake for the fuel pump; good flow by gravity. Pulled the fuel line at the carb and cranked the motor - good fuel pressure off the pump. Hmmmmm.....

Pulled the carb, completely dismantled it and cleaned it thoroughly with carb cleaner and an air hose. Reassembled everything and it fired off within five seconds and has run fine ever since. Whew!

Now for my problem: when I was reassembling the carb to the engine, I accidentally overtightened one of the three screws that hold the air cleaner base to the carb and stripped it. :scratchead: Anybody got an idea as to how I should fix this problem? The stripped screw is a 10-32 x 11/32 unit (oddball size!). Can I simply tap up one size (12?) and cut a screw to the proper length to fit? Is there a better way?

Thanks for any insights! :ychain:

Duff :ychain:

JimD

i think i would first try running the existing size tap into the threads. sometimes you can clean them up enough to hold just fine, if they aren't too distorted. this has worked for me in the past and saves a lot of extra work, and having one odd size screw in the mix.