Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

654 Repower with K181

Rogue

Hello! :hide:

Okay, so I got the k181 I was talking about in another thread. I've been toying with putting it on my son's 654. His ignition is off of a cub cadet so in order to shut it off a kill switch has been made and the charging system no longer works.

I've seen in other topics that the k181 will bolt right in. However, as near as I can tell... the bolt pattern on the h60 (front to back) 7.5" and the k181 is 10"

Do I just change the base?

Also, I'm not sure but I don't think the air cleaner will fit under there without cutting a hole in the hood. I really don't want to do that.

Where do I find this slim air filter I see some people talking about?

Last but not least, it would appear the engine is going to be backed right up to the gas tank and the starter will overlap the battery compartment. Is this the case or am I looking to far ahead?

Thanks so much :scratchead:

Ro

TT

The small Kohlers mount directly to the frame without the use of a riser/adapter plate. If the K-181 engine you bought has a gear-drive starter you'll need to use a small "motorcycle" battery instead of a normal L&G battery. This style tractor (originally equipped with a Kohler) had a high-mount starter/generator and the L&G battery would fit under it.

You'll at least need an air cleaner cover and filter for an early K-141/161. You won't actually need the base if you shorten the cover mounting stud on the 181 base and use it with the thin filter element and the short cover.

Rogue

Thanks Terry :hide: Much appreciated. That helps. You are correct. This does not have the high starter like the old 8hp did.

So technically there shouldn't be any problems as long as I get a small motorcycle battery?

TT

So technically there shouldn't be any problems as long as I get a small motorcycle battery?

Technically - no...... but you'll still have a few other things to configure like wiring, securing the front of the belt guard to the engine, the control cables (the choke cable will be too short), etc., but nothing real scary. :scratchead:

Rogue

Sweet! Thanks so much... That little stuff I believe I can handle. This really puts my mind at ease. Any idea what kind of battery to get?

Thanks again Terry :scratchead:

TT

You can try a UB14L-A2 battery - they're just over 3.5" wide.

They're used in many of the smaller MTD lawn tractors (quite a few mid-size motorcycles too) and should have enough power to turn over a "little" Kohler.

sorekiwi

Ro,

I could be wrong, but I think I used the air cleaner off the H60 when I put the Kohler in my Lawn Ranger, or possibly I used the Kohler base with the Tucky element and lid. Whatever I used clears the hood by a hair.

Have a look at how bent up your hood is where it's bolted to the frame, in front of the engine. This area gets bent and rusty, and affects where the grille ends up.

I didnt have a spare Kohler belt guard lying around, so this is what I did for the adapting the Tucky guard: http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...8&hl=belt+guard

Alternatively you can just weld on a bracket like the K guards use.

The pulley ends up in the same place, so you use the same belt/pulleys etc

Good Luck!

Rogue

Thanks again Terry :scratchead: I had called a battery shop and they acted like I was nuts. Maybe I am :ychain:

@ Mike - I was wondering about that... I've heard of issues with the belt guard. I was just toying with bolting an L-Bracket to the inside (being I will be painting anyway. Also it could be removed at a later date and filled if need be.

I plan on keeping the original h60 around... It has some issues. Nothing beyond repair. I need the diodes, cover and proper ignition. As long as I'm at it... Would be a good engine to learn how to do a rebuild on.

I must admit... I'm a touch, not much mind you (Terry really calmed me down quite a bit.) concerned and overwhelmed about the aspect of taking a working engine off and not really knowing what I'm going to find. with all the tape holding the wiring together on this old H60 I have the subtle feeling I'm not going to know what to do once it's apart. Hence, it's not going back in until it's right... and never if I get this kohler in there properly. On the upside everything is there from the starter to the ignition.

Here's a couple pics :hide:

dscf2514j.jpg

dscf2512s.jpg

Thanks again,

Ro :ychain: