Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

Carb cleaning

N.C. horserider

Has anybody ever used CLR to clean and soak their carbs overnight. It seems to remove rust and calcium deposits so why not dirt and varnish in a carb.

Sarge

Be very careful using CLR on aluminum or brass as it's quite corrosive to those metals . I have cleaned brass/copper with it but just in short time spurts . Most times , I just get a kit for the carb , disassemble it and use non-chlorinated brake cleaner or carb cleaner . This way, you can rinse everything out well and not leave junk floating around in the circuits.

Sarge

Kelly

I rebuild carbs all the time in fact I did one this morning, I bought a gallon can of soaking carb cleaner about 5 years ago, called chem dip, nasty smelling stuff, comes with a basket to put parts in, I tear the carb apart, drop it in the basket and soak for a few hours, pull the parts out take a old tooth brush and clean the grime and paint off, stick it back in for a few more hours, if I have time I like to leave it for a day or two, pull the parts then use spray brake/parts cleaner to clean all the holes and circuits, the a fine scotch brite pad to clean the float, and needles/jets but only lighty, take compressed air to blow everthing out, and rinse with brakecleaner, then assemble, I love doing Kohlers they are the easiest.

Don1977

You can go to most Auto Parts Stores and buy a gallon can of Carb. Cleaner most come

with a wire basket for soaking parts. Soak over night then wash with water and blow dry. If you just clean a few carbs. a year it will last for years if kept closed.