Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

Going to look at a K-181 Tonight

Rogue

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some tips on searching for used engines.

I just spoke with a woman who's ex left her with a k-181 sitting in her garage that she wants to sell it.

She stated that it is a new engine. That he had purchased it about a year and a half ago to replace the motor in his cub-cadet. Before he had a chance I guess things went south.

Firstly, I didn't think Kohler was making the k series anymore....?

She said her boyfriend says it can be started and runs well, no smoke and the oild is crystal clear, like new.

Obviously they don't know how it runs under load and the engine has to be hooked to a battery and ignition they rigged up to test it.

This all sounds a little fishy to me but I could be wrong.

Any tips of what I should look for, or things I can check out while I'm there?

I mean there are some things I know to look for. Oil, flakes in the oil, if it's warm when I get there, how it cranks...etc. any other tips that a newbie like me could look for so hopefully I don't get screwed.

Thank you very much :scratchead: You guys have been a life saver.

clintonnut

Turn over by hand for compression. If it requires two hands to spin over that's good. Also just move the flywheel back and forth to see if you hear a rod knock.

Charlie

Rogue

Thank you very much for the info :hide: What about pulling the plug and turning it over?

:scratchead:

Rogue

Well, I picked it up.... Everything seemed to be okay. It is grey in color, primer... which make sense. I'll take some pics later on. The only thing that concerned me, is the muffler (rototiller type) doesn't have any paint left on it, which suggests some use. At least to me. Maybe I'm wrong.

Thanks again for all your help :scratchead:

VinsRJ

Kohler muffler paint is cheap and will burn off in about 2 seconds. So unless its all rusted up not to worry :scratchead:

Rogue

not concerned with it... I have to change the muffler anyway otherwise there will be all that crap exiting under the hood. Just that I do think this thing was used for a bit. Hence, I'm not entirely convinced that it was "new, unused".

Thanks for the insight :scratchead:

pfrederi

I believe Kohler "Service" engines (not built to a customers specs) were gray from the factory

Rogue

Pics as promised. The last pic is a spare for parts. As you can see this is definitely not new. Based on the serial # it is a 2000.

At least it has the starter ignition..etc.

dscf2514j.jpg

dscf2512s.jpg

dscf2510.jpg

dscf2515x.jpg