Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

654 Engine Options

Rogue

Hi folks,

I'm not having much luck with engines lately. The tractor (654 w/ Tecumseh H60) I just got for my son...

Let's just say I need to swap out his engine. I think, if at all possible, I would like to get a new engine to ensure it runs well. I want him to be able to use the deck and blower. Are there any replacements out there? I just don't know enough about small engines to make an educated decision.

What are my engine options, if any? I was looking at harbor freight. To be honest I'm pretty much clueless.

Thank you for any help you may be :scratchead:

Ro

sorekiwi

They dont make H60's anymore, you might manage to find a NOS shortblock if you look long enough. There's plenty of used ones around, or you could rebuild what you have.

A 7 or 8 hp Kohler would be a more or less bolt in swap, and a much better engine :scratchead: (IMHO).

The problem with going to a HF Honda clone ( or a genuine Honda for that matter) is that the cylinder is inclined forward, so you have to move the crankcase backwards in order to clear the front of the hood. This moves the crankshaft back a couple of inches, so now your PTO pulleys and belts dont fit.

You said you wanted to be able to run the deck and the blower right?

Personally I'd look for a K181 (Kohler)...

Rollerman

The Kohler is a pretty easy swap.

The engine bolts right up.

You will have to mod the belt guard....slight differance in how the Tuckies & K's bolt up...."minor"

You will need a Kohler or battery ignition type ignition switch if you go with an electric start K series.

Used H 60, HH60, & HH70 Tucky engines can be found in good running condition too.

A lot of snow blowers used them, but you'll still have to do mods to one of them to make it compatible for your 654.

Briggs engines can be made to work too.....but. :scratchead:

Michael Bullington

I would look around for a round hood that already had the kohler engine, by the time you count the time and money spent you will have a nice tractor with all the correct stuff..(Plus if your son keeps it along time it will be worth more) To me its a total turn off seeing a round hood retro fitted with a late model engine. I bought a 702 once that had a brand new 10hp tecumseh engine that ran great...The first thing I did when i got home is pulled off ...I just couldnt stand looking at it..LOL :scratchead:

Rogue

I guess I should have educated myself a tad more before posting this. From my understanding the H60 and HH60 were GREAT engines.

I sat down and read the Technicians Handbook last night. I suppose I should say thoroughly grazed. Nice read actually, I enjoyed it. The handbook made me feel a little better about doing a rebuild this winter. Currently, I think I am going to try and find another H60 or HH60 to swap out with my sons to save myself from having to do a rebuild yesterday. I have one very upset little boy at the moment.

From my understanding of the Handbook the only difference between the H60 and the HH60 is that the HH60 is cast iron and a little more durable. Is that the case?

Guy

sorekiwi

From my understanding of the Handbook the only difference between the H60 and the HH60 is that the HH60 is cast iron and a little more durable. Is that the case?

This thread might help:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=3604&hl=hh60

and another:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...ic=5038&hl=hh60

I'm toying with the idea of putting one of these on a tractor (pictured next to an H60 block)

IMG_2460.jpg

Brand new, $130 from Surplus Centre. http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?UID=...catname=engines

They're snowblower engines so there is no aircleaner and there would be some adaption to make the throttle and choke cables work. Recoil start too, so there's no alternator for a battery. Starter mounting holes are different from the H60. I dont know if there's a ring gear on the flywheel. Then there's the different mounting hole pattern, and a 3/4" crankshaft to deal with. None of these problems is major, but it all takes time.

When I get around to doing something with this, it'll be getting a Kohler...

IMG_2270.jpg

Rogue

Thanks so much for all the info kiwi. It is very much appreciated :scratchead: