Sign in to follow this  
brenntl

' 69 GT-14

brenntl

I am looking for some guidance here regarding a GT-14 with little pulling power. The engine runs fine, fresh ATF w/filter, trans fluid level up to the full mark, tow valve is parallel with the frame w/ the long arm facing forward as per the manual. Hydraulic cylinder works and takes about 10 seconds to go full travel (this would seem to indicate that the charge pump is working). Tractor moves both forward and reverse, but has trouble going up a 10% grade w/o pulling anything, even at full throttle. I have no experience with hydrostatic drives, so I don't know what is normal operation. I have a repair manual for the Sundstrand Hydro, but descriptions for checking the pump pressure externally appear to be for a '74 and later and they look different than mine.

Any help appreciated.

pfrederi

10 seconds to move the lift cylinder is too long I would think. Is that with or without teh mower deck.....

WHC-125

Where are you located?

brenntl

10 seconds to move the lift cylinder is too long I would think. Is that with or without teh mower deck.....

This with the mower deck removed. The lift cylinder to what I would describe as a bell crank. I am making a guess at the time, but it is no longer than 10 seconds and more than 5 seconds. I'll take another look today.

brenntl

Where are you located?

Southbury.

Terry

WHC-125

Southbury.

Terry

CT?

MikesRJ

:scratchead:

brenntl

Paul F

It took 7 seconds to move the lift cylinder piston from one end to the other. Engine speed didn't seem to make any difference in the time.

Terry

pfrederi

For not having any load on the lift that sounds pretty slow. Is your sundstrand a piston type? Just a thought...The lift will create down pressure on a mid mount blade. Have you thought about putting a 6x6 block under the lift arm and seeing if the cylinder will lift the tractor up with you sitting on it???...It should. My charger 12 will lift its rearend up with me on it when it pushes the mid mount blade down. If yours will do something similar I would say the charge pump is OK....I am not familiar with the older pre piston Sundstrands..I think they were gear pumps???

rustbucket

um try putting your tow valve paralel with the long end pointing back towards the rear of the machine. if it is pointing forward thats in tow position if i recall from my own GT-14. :scratchead:

brenntl

Pfrederi,

My mid blade mount is pretty far up inside and is not readily accessible from underneath. I will get a pressure gauge and try to measure the pressure at the hydraulic lift control input.

Terry

KB9LOR

Keep us posted on this problem, I have a 69 Electro 12 with the very same problem, has no trouble with the lift Hyd, it moves quick, but on a slight grade full power or not forget it, won't hardly pull on the incline, no load either.

Brian

stevebo

Chris,

Terry is the guy that I spoke with you about who may need a tranny but you would not tell me how much you wanted for it....He is a good guy and a friend of mine so if you sell him something..... be good to him :scratchead:

Brrly1

Hello Guys, I only have one question for you guys with the bad tranny's? Has anyone ever thought of checking the internal springs on these transmissions? It's only a suggestion. Good Luck See Ya, Bye Burly

WHC-125

Hello Guys, I only have one question for you guys with the bad tranny's? Has anyone ever thought of checking the internal springs on these transmissions? It's only a suggestion. Good Luck See Ya, Bye Burly

Burly, I recommended Terry to do that when I talked to him last night.

KB9LOR

I will remember that when I get into that hydro guys. Thanks for the info. very much appreciated.

Brian