Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

Regulators

N.C. horserider

Can the B+ wire from the regulator/rectifier be connected directly to the battery or do you have to go thru the ignition switch ?

Save Old Iron

It CAN BE DONE

but SHOULD it be done ??

Electrically it makes no difference but will bypass the ignition switch as a safety device when the mower is not being used.

If the rectifier shorts to ground for any reason , that may represent a FIRE HAZARD as you will apply full battery current to the jumper wire - it will smoke the wire since you no longer will have a fuse in the output from the battery to rectifier / stator wiring.

chargecircuit.png

Is there a particular reason you would want to change the wiring ?

Is this a one time, very short term change to see if the ignition switch is preventing the battery from charging ?

The reason you want to do this may give us a chance to advise you on a better troubleshooting procedure.

RideRed

or.... you end up with a dead battey. think about it, when it's running and charging you have juice flowing in one direction to charge the battery. they put the key switch there to keep the juice from going the other way when the motor is off. if you strait wire it you get feed back. a nice slow trickle to the regulator. and if the reg goes bad it dumps to ground. if the wire does'nt overheat it will dump the whole battery to ground also. and you no-starty.

N.C. horserider

It CAN BE DONE

but SHOULD it be done ??

Electrically it makes no difference but will bypass the ignition switch as a safety device when the mower is not being used.

If the rectifier shorts to ground for any reason , that may represent a FIRE HAZARD as you will apply full battery current to the jumper wire - it will smoke the wire since you no longer will have a fuse in the output from the battery to rectifier / stator wiring.

chargecircuit.png

Is there a particular reason you would want to change the wiring ?

Is this a one time, very short term change to see if the ignition switch is preventing the battery from charging ?

The reason you want to do this may give us a chance to advise you on a better troubleshooting procedure.

OK that answered my curiosity FIRE and battery troubles! Just looking at it I thought I could make a shorter run on the wire and neaten the harness but I'll leave it alone. Thanks for the info guys appreciate it and as you can tell electrical isn't my suit, always ask first if unsure. Mike

Save Old Iron

Mike , never give up on the concept of making things better / more reliable.

Even as new as I am with Wheel Horses, I have looked at the wiring schemes of the c160 and c81 I picked up this year and said the same thing - "If I can reroute and better secure / protect some of this wiring , its gotta make it more reliable !!"

It's on the project list for this winter.

Good luck with your project.