Sign in to follow this  
Steve Parry

C-160 Steering Wheel

Steve Parry

I just acquired a C-160 and the steering wheel is broken. The bolt holding it on is pretty beat up and rusted. Any advice on how to get it out without completely destroying it? I figured I'd ask before i had at it.

I've include a pic.

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Image

post-23-1250807473.jpg

MikesRJ

Soak hell out of it with PB Blaster and let set a few days, use a bar and rap the head of the bolt with a hammer several times, then try a 6-sided socket and ratchet with a "cheater bar" first and see if you can ease it off.

If that doesn't work you may be forced to drill down the center of the bolt and use an "easy-out".

You could also try to cut the head of thee bolt off with a Dremel tool if you can reach in there, remove the wheel, and use torch and vice grips to get the remainder of the bolt out of the shaft.

kj4kicks

There is no bolt there. It is held on to the shaft by a 1/4" roll pin in the bottom flange of the wheel.

What you're seeing is just the top of the shaft.

You'll still need to soak it good and pray hard. Best bet is to remove the entire shaft assembly and upper dash and find a press.

MikesRJ

Oops! My bad. That looked like a bolt instead of the shaft end. I agree, taking it out and working on it in a vice may be your best bet.

Raider

I had the same wheel on my C-160 and it was broken. I had to cut the wheel hub in half with a grinder being careful not to damage the shaft. There was no persuading that wheel off after being rusted on for 35 years. after I got the wheel off I was able to drift out the remains of the roll pin from the shaft with a punch.