Sign in to follow this  
WH953

Wheel Horse 953

WH953

2yoprt3.jpg

Don't know if I did this correctly. Hopefully a picture shows up... not very good with a computer! I took some other views, but I was barely able to figure out how to get this one posted. I guess there is a way to post multiple pictures, at the same time, but I haven't figured that out yet.

TJ

Good picture, nice tractor. :thumbs2:

WHC-125

Looks like a good worker! :thumbs2:

Doubletrouble

Nice tractor !! :thumbs2: for the pic.

Raider12

Good look'n tractor, I had never seen this model before? What year is this?

WH953

It's a 1963. From what I hear... the only year they were made.

WH953

I know very little about Wheel Horse attachments/options. Does anyone know what the holes are for on the side of the grill?

Lane Ranger

WH953 : That is a good question about those holes on the bottom of the front cowling/grill of the 953! I have always wondered myself on the 1054's that also have the same holes near the bottom by the frame.

I can not recall any attachment or other use.

Anyone that could shed some more light on this, please add to this ?

WH953

Hey, if you look at a posting from Volvoman, that was posted August 26 (953 head light picture request) there is a picture from a reply that Juggler posted. In one of the pictures there is a close-up view of the engine and front cowl/grill. There is a small idler pulley that you can see just under the muffler. Looks like it might be mounted in one of those holes I was asking about.

Lane Ranger

WH953: I see in the Juggler's second 1054 photo the pulley you are talking about and that is the first time I ever saw one installed in that hole on the front of the tractor.

Interetign not sure what that pulley would be for at that location.

Thanks for pointing it out! Perhaps one of the other mebers can she some light on its use.

evanloock

The hole in the grill on the PTO side of the tractor was used to mount an idler pulley (part number 4794) for the ST-374 snow-thrower. I don't know of any attachment that made use of the hole on the flywheel side of the tractor.

WH953

Thanks for the info, evenloock. I had been trying to find a picture of a 953 with a snow thrower attachment to see if that's what the idler pulley was used for. Was the idler, mounted on the PTO side, attached with a bolt? Or was it mounted on a shaft that went all the way through the grill to the hole on the flywheel side of the tractor? I can't tell for sure, but look at the picture that Juggler posted. I think you can see the rod I am talking about.

evanloock

Just mounted with a bolt (#80) on the PTO side.

Picture2.png

Picture3.png

Retired Wrencher

2yoprt3.jpg

Don't know if I did this correctly. Hopefully a picture shows up... not very good with a computer! I took some other views, but I was barely able to figure out how to get this one posted. I guess there is a way to post multiple pictures, at the same time, but I haven't figured that out yet.

:scratchead::hide: Hi wh953 ur right this is a 63/wh I did no think they had running boards in 63???? looks good this could some what of a rare tractor.. W/H LONG LIFE. t/c Gary B................

Juggler

Here's another pic of that pulley. It's mounted on a rod that goes all the way thru to the hole on the other side, and has a nut on the outside. You can "just" see the rod in this pic. I'd never seen one before (until I saw the above "labeled" pic), I was gonna take it off and discard it, thinking it was something a previous owner had added. Guess I'll leave it alone now.

th_1stday1054020.jpg

Here's a pic from the other side, you can just make out the rod behind the grill.

th_1stday1054008.jpg

click to enlarge

If you need more pics let me know, the 1054 is in storage a few miles from here.

WH953

Glad you replied again Juggler, and said there was a rod going all the way through there... thought maybe it was just me seeing things.