Sign in to follow this  
Rogue

What Engine 603

Rogue

Hi folks,

Does anyone know what engine/s came in the 63' 603? i was under the impression it was the k141 but heard someone mention "all original with 6HP Lausen/Tecumseh"

I have to be out of my mind, but I'm thinking of picking up a 603.

Ro

Rogue

Scrap that... Just found the answer. It would appear that it came with H60 only.

Is the H60 a good engine, compared to the kohlers? If not, would a conversion be a fairly painless process?

bell

The H60 can be a good engine, although I haven't had much luck with them.

A kohler conversion is VERY simple. A K141, k161, or k181 will bolt right in. You will have to use the shallow air filter and cover and I'm not sure if there is room for a starter/ generator... so a recoil start would be the way to go.

The only problem will be is that the choke cable is too short, but you can probably change that out.

EDIT**** You'll also need a Kohler belt guard or make an adapter for the Techy. guard...

I feel that it is a good swap, as you don't have to cut or modify ANYTHING other than the choke cable. It can easily be put back to original if need be.

Good luck and we'll need pics.... :thumbs2:

TJ

I did a complete rebuild on the Tecumseh on my 654, and it was a pain in the a$$ to get it running right, but now it is the easiest starting and smoothest running engine I've got.

Good luck

Tom

Rogue

hmmmmm....... I do kinda think I may like having the original H60 on it. In the same token, Kohler's just go and go and go and go and go!

@ TJ - Then you would be the guy to contact if/when I do a rebuild on the H60 :thumbs2:

@ Bell - mmmm K141 is a VERY good engine. May be worth the conversion if I held on to the H60.

Thanks for the input gents :thumbs:

Rogue

Oh yeah, almost forgot. One more question.... I keep seeing things online about a 603 Special. What is the difference from the main 603. I know WH like using the word "special" whenever kohler would go on strike.

Michael Bullington

hey I have 3 tractors with h60 engines and they all run perfect!..(All have new carbs) - These are sweet little engines to play around on easy to work on...As far as h60 vs the kholer they are equal on terms of playing,,,if your looking to work go ahead and use the kohler it just gets the job done better!

The 603 is a special ...that was its real name from the factory due to its stripped down verision and low cost...it was the cheap of cheap

Rogue

I'm not even sure what engine is in this 603. The problem was he didn't know if the engine was able to be rebuilt. If that's the case... I'm not sure of the options. Not to mention with my limited knowledge at this point, I thought it may be advantageous to check everything I can out in advance.

From my understanding this is a more sought after tractor. I can't say as I understand why if it was such a cheapy. Has me invisioning a Yugo collector. :thumbs2:

What appeals to me is the simplicity of the 603.

Thanks for all of your help. :thumbs:

Michael Bullington

im not sure its a tractor thats everyones looking for...I would not give it any advantage over a good 502 or 604,,,maybe everyone likes it funny looking steering wheel :thumbs2:

Rogue

Hmmmm... that's what the seller told me. Hey! That funny steering wheel is pretty cool. Can't discount that - :thumbs2:

Thanks again Stone :thumbs: You Rock!

Rollerman

603's were kinda a mix of parts & sold as an economy tractor in 63, but you don't see to many of them now & hardly any that are complete.

If it has the original half moon steering wheel consider your self lucky.

The 603's had a few unique to them only parts like the steering wheel & the throttle/choke controls that make restoreing one to original tricky without them.

Nice find & I told you they would multiply. :thumbs2:

Either way you go...rebuilt tucky/kohler swap a 603 is a neat tractor.

Rogue

Well, I was wrong on the k141. He had an h60 and an hh60. I have no idea if either are rebuildable and to be honest, I don't know how to tell. I know the hh60 has a bad rod and the recoil on the h60 is literally snapped in half.

On the up side. The 603 is home, half moon wheel and all even the original throttle and choke cable :thumbs:

The last pic is just for kicks. I couldn't believe the local store still had these. I just had to buy them :thumbs2:

Thanks for all the info :ychain:

dscf2474.jpg

dscf2473d.jpg

dscf2476h.jpg

bell

Yet another FINE looking tractor!!!! :thumbs2:

How come all the ones I find have layer after layer of spray paint on them? LOL

TJ

Nice herd of horses. :thumbs: Just a couple more and the car won't be in the picture. :thumbs2:

Rollerman

Just a couple more and the car won't be in the picture.

I was thinking when he gets it bad "he's almost there" the car will be red.

Rogue

Thanks guys :thumbs:

@ Bell - If it makes you feel better... it would appear that someone tried spray painting the 654 :ychain: Not for long, I just bought a sandblaster and I have my Binks gun ready to go. :ROTF:

As for the car... It will never not be in the garage :thumbs2: That's my baby. Wheel Horse Red, hmmmm now that's another story. There is potential possiblilites there. ha-ha

I also noticed I said the recoil was snapped in half, I meant the fly wheel. All new to me, pardon my stupidity.

Okay, so how do I tell if the h60 can be rebuilt? If it's any good, at all.... Think I'm going to try rebuilding this myself.