Sign in to follow this  
ivoryfur2

312-8 Engine Mount Bolts

ivoryfur2

I just registered on this site and am not very computer savy, so please bear with me. I just purchased a 1985 312-8 and found that there are no engine mount bolts on the right side. The inside of the bolt holes in the engine base are almost flush with the outside of the frame. I was told that the engine on this machine was not original and one from an automatic had been installed. This made me think that the engine was not compatable with this frame. However, I have since seen several internet pictures showing other tractors with no right side bolts. Should there be bolts on the right side.

Thanks for any info ya'll can provide.

This tractor is my worker but I am restoring a RJ 59 which I tol my wife when it is finished we are going to put in the living room. We will see.

Ray

chazm

:thumbs: Hi Ray - not sure on your bolt problem ,but most engines use 4 mounting bolts. I sure some others here can give you some advice & pics

Good luck with the RJ in the living room thing :thumbs2:

Duff

Hi, Ray, and :ROTF: !

Glad you found us!

All three of my 312-8's have four bolts holding the original engines on, so I would guess the engine on yours is indeed a transplant. Just a thought...is your frame drilled so you could shift the engine left a half inch or so to "catch" the missing bolts? This might mean realigning the main drive pulley on the engine shaft (if that's even possible since I've never tried it). I'd invite some of our resident experts to jump in here, please! :thumbs:

Actually, as I think about it, how's the current alignment between your main drive pulley and the tranny input pulley? I'm just wondering if the PO swapped engines and relied on the relatively long distance between the pulleys to let the belt run a little out of alignment. Not a great idea if he did, but one that would probably have worked for a while......

Have I confused you? :ychain:

Duff :thumbs2:

travisg84

From what I've seen on almost all of the classics the engine bolts from the top on one side and from underneath on the other there should be holes on the inside under the frame rail on that side to bolt up through. There are holes on the top side that hang over the frame but they are not used.

Duff

From what I've seen on almost all of the classics the engine bolts from the top on one side and from underneath on the other there should be holes on the inside under the frame rail on that side to bolt up through. There are holes on the top side that hang over the frame but they are not used.

Oh, Duh!!!! Travis - you are completely right on this - I forgot that the right-hand bolts come up through the frame and into the engine block. Major brain cramp on my part! :thumbs2: Thanks for the clarification!

Ray, crawl underneath the tractor if you can and I'll bet you find those two "missing" bolts!

Duff :thumbs:

ivoryfur2

Hi Guys,

I just looked under the right side and sure enough there are two bolts going up to the engine. Boy do I feel stupid. Its tough to get old. Now for the the real stupid part........I guess I didn't need to have my son weld bolts to the outside of the frame in allignment with the overhanging bolt holes on top. DUH

Thank you all for your interest and for your help.

Ray

oldandred

No but I bet they look good just say there extra hold down bolts because of the power the kohler has. :thumbs2:

gwgdog66

Hi Guys,

I just looked under the right side and sure enough there are two bolts going up to the engine. Boy do I feel stupid. Its tough to get old. Now for the the real stupid part........I guess I didn't need to have my son weld bolts to the outside of the frame in allignment with the overhanging bolt holes on top. DUH

Thank you all for your interest and for your help.

Ray

:thumbs: By the way :thumbs2: