Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

Stator question

N.C. horserider

I think that I have a bad stator on my 181, brand new battery won't crank engine over after it was running, are they interchangable between other K series 161, 241, 301 etc. ? Also since it doesn't run can I do an ohm check with the key on or anything else.

TT

The Kohler #237878(-S) 15 amp stator was used on many engines and yes, they will interchange.

To test your current stator, measure the resistance across the two leads and look for 0.1/0.2 ohms. If is "infinity" ohms, the stator is open. (bad)

Check for continuity between each wire and ground. If there is continuity, the stator windings are shorted. (bad)

N.C. horserider

Thanks again Terry, just took the readings and when I measured the resistance across the two leads it went thru a series of different numbers so I'll change out the stator.

Save Old Iron

With some luck, this condition still could be caused by poor electrical connections at the stator wires / electrical clip junction - if your resistance readings are "jumping around" , check your connections at the stator wire connector -

If your AC voltage is missing across the stator wires ( approx 30 vac with the engine at full throttle), the stator may be OK and the magnets may have come loose from the underside of the flywheel and are stuck to the stator.

The flywheel may be turning around them.

Re-glueing magnets to the flywheel is how I spent my vacation last summer !!

Save Old Iron

here is a perfect example of why your meter readings may be jumpy - this is from a 520H I am currently working on for my summer project.

rectifierrepair.jpg

rectifiercloseup-1.jpg

WheelHorse_of_course

I agree don't mess with taking off the flywheel without doing the resistance AND voltage tests outline above.

The most likely reason for the resistance to not settle down is bad contact (eg corrosion) or a bad battery on your meter (hold the probes together to see what you get).

If you do get 30-40 volts AC off the stator with the engine running you should check the following:

Is there a good ground connection from the /rectifier/regulator to the chassis. If in doubt run a dedicated wire.

Is there good connections from the stator to the rectifier/regulator?

Is there good connection from the rectifier/regulator to the battery (via the ignition switch most likely).

A tip on cleaning up corrosion. First scrape off the corrosion using a knife. Then use a q-tip wet with WD-40 to scrub the connection area. You could use deoxit red instead of WD-40, but WD-40 is easier to find and much cheaper.

good luck.