Sign in to follow this  
Crow Horse

Duro AG Tires...??

Crow Horse

I've been searching for budget AG tires for my B-80 with a 36" deck. Currently it has 22.50x7.50-12's (originals I believe) on the rear and I was looking at the Duro 23x10.50's. They fit my budget but there are 2 issues that I'm facing. I have 7" wide rims and the Duro's call for an 8" rim. At face value, I don't think this should be too much of an issue. More importantly, the wider and taller tire might present interference with the rear deck wheels. It looks like it'll be close and I certainly don't want to gamble on the purchase. Has anyone installed 10.50's on a B-80 with a 36" deck? Thanks..

Duro Tires

TT

Is there a particular reason why you want ags and why you need them to be 10.50's?

Kelly

Not sure if the fit with a mower deck, but the duro ags fit on stock WH wheels just fine would fit maybe a little nicer on the wider rims, and yes why ags to mow with?? he is a shot of a B-100 with the 10.50 ags on stock wheels

IMG_3704.jpg

TT

Keep in mind: Same size tires from different manufacturers won't always look the same when aired up on a wheel.

I mounted 23-10.50X12 Nanco ags on 7 inch wide wheels for the rear of my trike and they are "rounder" and taller (when inflated to the max recommended pressure) than the same size turf tire. I did it intentionally to gain the extra height to balance the higher front end caused by the narrow front conversion.

group1.jpg

Crow Horse

I need/want AG's as I have "hilly", rocky, muddy,& soft ground to traverse while mowing. I also use my Horse to haul stone & wood, occasionally having to drive it up into the woods.....I'm not sure yet what role my Horse will play in the winter yet....

I like the look of the wider tires but might have to settle on 8.50's as they are a sure bet to fit without problems.

Wow! There's some nice tractors there! Wish mine looked like that!

The Nanco Ag's are the same as the Deestone D405'5.....

truckin88

I have duro 8.50's on my C-120 and they look and functiong great. I have the deestone 10.50's on my 520, the only diff is deestone is 6ply duro is 4ply. I have have good luck with the duro's the 10.50's looks awesome on the big 520, but they may look funny on that b

Crow Horse

Might you have a pic of the 8.50's on your c-120 that you could post? I always like the Big Tire look on all of my trucks so why should the tractor be different? Seems like I will have to think long and hard about this and might have to go with 8.50's. I understand you reach a point of diminishing returns when it comes to tire width/size regarding traction......

TT

Might you have a pic of the 8.50's

I have a pic of 8.50's on my 1056:

gardengoat41909009.jpg

Note: The pre-'68 tractors use a narrower rear fender so it makes the tires look like they stick out farther, but tire width is still tire width, right? :thumbs2:

Crow Horse

Is there a particular reason why you want ags and why you need them to be 10.50's?

Allow me to expand on this. The wider footprint & track will give me a bit more stability in some of the dicier (off camber) areas I have to mow. I don't have the option of mowing in a more stable direction.......

TT

Understood, but......

Ag tread tires offer very little lateral stability on a hard-packed grassy surface. They were designed for straight-ahead traction in dirt.

You'll do what you want, but I think you'd benefit more by installing wider fluid-filled turf tires on 8 or 8.5 inch full-offset wheels and possibly even running V bar ("weed") chains year 'round. A set of wheel weights might not be a bad idea either.

Sparky

Ok, I'll chime in. My 8.50 Ag's look cool but offer no real traction gain over my 2 ply 8.50 turfs. In my experience the 2 ply's give way better traction over the 4 ply turfs as they seem to "flex" better over rough terrain and wheel weights only make them grab even better.

I also have a set of 10.50-2 ply turfs mounted on the wide rims that work fantastic on my snowblower equipt tractor.

Mike........

Sarge

If no one else has mentioned it , angles are really hard on Kohlers or any engine that is splash lube. Limit is around 25*, way less than the old Sami...lol .

Sarge

refracman

I know what you mean about mowing in wet / swampy conditions. And also haveing to pull loads through the woods. I tried the chain with V bars, they preformed well except in the spring when the ground was wet.

In my front along the swale and in the back yard, the ground will stay soft until late May early June. The chains helped but if I traveled over the same spot a couple of times it will tear the grass roots up and I would get stuck. The ags dont tear up the roots nearly as bad. When the ground drys up I switch back to turfs with the V chains. I also run the turf /chains in the winter as the ags dont preform as well.

I would suggest getting a proper set of rims for the ags and have both setups, then you have the option to switch them when the conditions allow. Also haveing the proper rims the tires will not bulge out.

Remember though if you increase the rear tire diameter without doing the front the deck will be out of adjustment.

wheelhorse101

i had 26x12x12 on my c-81 with a 48" deck but it hit the deck wheels so i had to take um off but 23" tires i think you should be fine.

Crow Horse

Here's a pic of the potential problem.........

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-3-1249948628.jpg

truckin88

DSC04040.jpg

DSC04039.jpg

DSC04037.jpg

here are pics on the C-120 in the garage with the duro 8.50's

Crow Horse

I'm guessing that you have a 42" or larger deck? The clearance between the rear deck wheels on my 36" deck is considerably smaller (obviously). The 8.50's look good on yours and I guess I'll be going for the 8.50's instead of the 10.50's. Looks like I'll also save some sheckles by doing so.

Is there a special valve to help "load" tires with fluid?

Thanks to all who chimed in and also posted pics.

Sarge

I just drilled a second hole about 2" away from the original stem on mine and used a standard short valve . Using the "kit" from TSC, screwing the fluid adapter onto the second valve and leaving the core out of the primary one allows fluid to be pumped in quickly using a simple drill pump from Ace Hardware. Got over 6 gallons of RV antifreeze in the rears, just shy of 2 gallons in the fronts on both 1277's .

With the added ring weights, the rear tires/wheels weigh in around 140lbs each .

Sarge

truckin88

I'm guessing that you have a 42" or larger deck? The clearance between the rear deck wheels on my 36" deck is considerably smaller (obviously). The 8.50's look good on yours and I guess I'll be going for the 8.50's instead of the 10.50's. Looks like I'll also save some sheckles by doing so.

Is there a special valve to help "load" tires with fluid?

Thanks to all who chimed in and also posted pics.

42" SD

Crow Horse

I installed the 8.50's last night and today I ran it through the gauntlet. I deliberately took it to places that I've previously had difficulty with or just plain got stuck. It cruised right through, no problems. Then I took it to places that the tractor has never gone as it was a given that I'd get stuck. Only once did I have to finesse it out of a situation but never did it get stuck. I'm quite impressed!

Initially I was a bit disappointed with the 8.50's size, but I'm glad I got them. They are a bit larger than the old rubber and do look pretty beefy. If today is any indication of their future performance, I believe I did pretty good for only $108 delivered to my door....

I'll post some pics, maybe tomorrow....

Thanks for everyone's help and advice!

bitten

Crow, glad it worked out for you. Everyone has an opinion on what tire to use and I have found that they all have a purpose. I have ags and turf and use the ags more often. Tire chains are really handy to have as is a set of wheel weights. You have to be carefull of adding fluid to your tires as Wheel Horse doesnt recommende it for the 4 pinion rear end(not sure what you have).

By the way :thumbs2:

Crow Horse

Thanks Bitten!

Chains will be in order for winter work for sure. I believe I have a 4 pinion rear (1975 B-80 4 sp.). Is it because this rear is not up to the task of handling the additional weight/stress? If so, then I'll assume wheel weights are in the book of "NO" as well ?? Am I correct on this assumption?

I won't pursue a trans-axle upgrade for my B-80 on this thread, but have been curious about the models that came with a LSD and if they would fit my Horse. I installed an LSD in my old Sami (Suzuki) and it made a world of difference.......

My understanding about loading fluid is that the tire is filled app. 75% full. If the 4 pinions rears are weaker, can one load the tires with a smaller amount of fluid to compensate for it's weakness?

I know....so many questions, so little time........... :thumbs2:

Funny though.... prior to acquiring this Wheel Horse, I never heard of them before. With the help of the internet, I discover that there is a huge following of these old machines and an incredible support network for them. I am sure glad that I bought this tractor!!!.........

Crow Horse

Some pics.........

I'm almost embarrassed as it's quite filthy from mowing, but it's the nature of the beast.......

Attached Image

post-3-1250427714.jpg

Crow Horse

More........

Attached Image

post-3-1250428040.jpg

Crow Horse

Last one......

Attached Image

post-3-1250428138.jpg