Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

meadowfield

Ha, you made me doubt myself...

This one is deffo turned, steel - I can even see where the keyway was cut.

324366800dbe511fc5e32986a58fa6dc_zps9887

5de20c05bc506f2ed52bc0840ebf1531_zps5e2a

Stigian

I say, what a nice solid looking bush you have there Sir  :D    It sure looks the least cast of any bush I've seen :lol:

jay in nc

i think every member that can afford to needs to donate $ 10 to ship the 6X6 and ian to the big show this year !Jay

• Like 1

Stigian

i think every member that can afford to needs to donate $ 10 to ship the 6X6 and ian to the big show this year !Jay

Thanks Jay... My Wife say's yes I can go but only if she can come too!!   Women eh :D

Well, progress on getting the 6x6 moving again has been a lot slower than I would of liked, but it's getting there.

Both taper lock bushes were made, but for some reason I forgot to take a photo..

So have one I have lifted from my last video.

TSS15252_zps64711d71.jpg

The first bush after welding it into the sprocket... It took quite a long time for it to cool down again!

TSS15247_zps8c263648.jpg

And welded to the end of the axle... Yes I know the weld doesn't look pretty, but it is strong.. But I will give it another going over when I fire up the welder tomorrow.

TSS15248_zpse72fce44.jpg

Number two welded up, it will get welded on to the other damaged axle tomorrow.

TSS15249_zpsf6957218.jpg

While I was waiting for bush no 2 to cool down, I stripped a bit of bodywork off so I could have a good look at the drive belt as I fear it may be slipping somewhere under load..

TSS15250_zps25b72938.jpg

TSS15251_zps2e14e300.jpg

The drive belt feels quite tight, but it still might be slipping on the the trans'sss pulleys or the engine pulley...

I think what I need to do is get the sprockets sorted and then take the 6x6 out for a nice drive without the belt guard so I can see what's going on when it struggles to turn..

I might sandblast (sorry) media blast all 3 pulleys just in the grooves.. My blasting media is a bit coarse (crushed glass, works well I just ordered the wrong grade) and would roughen up the grooves giving the belt more grip maybe...

We shall see.

• Like 1

bowtiebutler956

That weld looks like it should hold Ian, and if it doesn't, well it should have! :ychain:  Always enjoy reading your updates, and hope to see a video soon. Thanks

Matt :flags-texas:

Stigian

That weld looks like it should hold Ian, and if it doesn't, well it should have! :ychain:  Always enjoy reading your updates, and hope to see a video soon. Thanks

Thanks Matt, I think the problem is I do struggle to weld if I have to kneel on the floor... My knees just don't like it anymore and I struggle to stay steady! Anyway, fingers crossed the welds are strong enough :D

I'm working on the next 6x6 video as it happens, just need to get a bit more footage and hope the weather dry's out enough (not persisting it down)  for me to get the old girl out and give a good workout so I can see if the belt is slipping anywhere..

The second sprocket (front left) has been welded to the axle.. It looks just as messy as the other one but should be nice and strong.

TSS15258_zps85946c0d.jpg

So much for the sandblasting plan. when the time came to remove the front trans pulley came I fund one of my hub pullers was too small and the other was too big to fit between the pulley and hub!

A quick question for you guy's... Do you think it would put too much strain on the trans pump bearing if I were to turn this pulley around to move the groove out a bit?

TSS15253_zps44b5e3d0.jpg

I only ask as I might end up having to run a separate drive belt to each trans and would need to move the front belt out a bit so I can get (with some mods, second pulley added) 2 belts on the engine pulley.

TSS15254_zpsee1b315a.jpg

The rear trans pulley would of been almost impossible to get off without some serious dismantling anyway, so sandblasting was abandoned in favor of a wire brush on a drill.

TSS15257_zps0b8a43ff.jpg

Before.. Very slippy looking..

TSS15255_zps27714d0e.jpg

That's better..

TSS15256_zpsb0adf43f.jpg

I just need to wait for a long enough break in the wet and windy weather to get the ol girl out and give her a good workout.. A "see what happens with the belt" sort of thing.

Stigian

Morning Guy's, just a small update..

The 6x6 is all back together bar the belt guard and all of the bodywork on the right side which can stay off until I can see/workout what the drive belt is doing.

The "wheel to wheel" chains have been tightened up a bit to take care of the chain stretch.. Strangely for some reason the chains on the right side which is driven by the rear trans have stretched more/faster than the left side! No idea why this is happening!

Just waiting on the weather to  clear up (maybe in a couple of days looking at the forecast) so I can take her out for a good drive about and see what happens.

I'm going to start ordering some steel, bearings and sprockets soon so I can start making the new axles for the "no outrigger" conversion... I won't fully start on the conversion until winter is over, but there is some stuff I can do/make before I have to render the 6x6 immovable for a couple of months..

Thanks for reading, sorry no photo's in this little update.

Don't forget to check out my blog here  :handgestures-thumbup:     

Anglo Traction

The 6x6 is all back together bar the belt guard and all of the bodywork on the right side which can stay off until I can see/workout what the drive belt is doing.

The "wheel to wheel" chains have been tightened up a bit to take care of the chain stretch.. Strangely for some reason the chains on the right side which is driven by the rear trans have stretched more/faster than the left side! No idea why this is happening!

Just waiting on the weather to  clear up (maybe in a couple of days looking at the forecast) so I can take her out for a good drive about and see what happens.

I'm going to start ordering some steel, bearings and sprockets soon so I can start making the new axles for the "no outrigger" conversion... I won't fully start on the conversion until winter is over, but there is some stuff I can do/make before I have to render the 6x6 immovable for a couple of months..

You must be doing too many Left Handers to stretch that Chain Ian :grin: ............and this one :ychain:

Sounds like you're planning some Lathe time, keep you occupied while the Water drains away.

Will pay a visit when the water level drops below the top of me Wellies .

wheeledhorseman

So many potential reasons for the chain difference Ian. As Richard mentions, could simply be more turning one way than the other - I know I have favourite ways of driving round my place, no idea why though.

Could be that the geometry is very slightly out somewhere with the chain on one side, one tranny could even have a bit more 'grunt' than the other on acceleration  being hydro rather than mechanical. Another possibility that applies more to movement on hard surfaces is that the tyres on a 6x6 must be kept inflated to identical pressures to achieve the same diameter on each wheel to avoid 'wind up' occuring, in your case this would apply to each side separately.

Just some thoughts

Andy

Don1977

I don't know how much torque or horse power those transmissions put out but I would bet it's more then #40 chain was designed for. I understand that the space available is the reason along with the cost, Some times we have to used what we have or what we can afford. Most of the chain sold today was made in China and won't be as good as local made 30 years ago.

Google: ":Renold Chain Selector"  My computer won't let me post the link for some reason. Don't like these new Windows. XP was a lot better.

If we can get the torque and RPM output to the chain will tell the size needed. There is also a manual selection (at the bottom) you can select the size chain and it will give the hours of use until it is stretched by 3%.  My guess that it is based on good high quality chain.

wheeledhorseman

Ian, thought of your comments re welding while I was working on my dump cart yesterday and I think we are sometimes a little over critical of our own work. To illustrate here's a factory weld I found on the frame.

post-4509-0-39960400-1389266713_thumb.jp

:jaw: The strengthening plate is supposed to lie squarely and flush on top of the main frame rail but somehow had moved when the first welds were done leaving a gap to be bridged on this one. So much for any quality control. In the same position I think I might have at least ground the excess off rather than leaving it to be painted over.

Andy

Edited by wheeledhorseman

Stigian

You must be doing too many Left Handers to stretch that Chain Ian :grin: ............and this one :ychain:

Sounds like you're planning some Lathe time, keep you occupied while the Water drains away.

Will pay a visit when the water level drops below the top of me Wellies .

You might well be right there Richard, thinking on it I do tend to turn to the left more than the right, more so when doing 360's :D

Yep, I have a bit of lathe time planned, not too much though as I will only be making new axles and I can reuse the the wheel bolting flanges from the old axles.

Best dry your wellies out a bit, word has it snow might be hitting us late next week!   Of course late next week is quite a while away, and word may change by then.

So many potential reasons for the chain difference Ian. As Richard mentions, could simply be more turning one way than the other - I know I have favourite ways of driving round my place, no idea why though.

Could be that the geometry is very slightly out somewhere with the chain on one side, one tranny could even have a bit more 'grunt' than the other on acceleration  being hydro rather than mechanical. Another possibility that applies more to movement on hard surfaces is that the tyres on a 6x6 must be kept inflated to identical pressures to achieve the same diameter on each wheel to avoid 'wind up' occuring, in your case this would apply to each side separately.

Just some thoughts

Andy

HI Andy, your right there could be so many reasons why the chains are doing their own things,, If I had to put my finger on one of them I'd say it's the turning left more than right thing!

I don't know how much torque or horse power those transmissions put out but I would bet it's more then #40 chain was designed for. I understand that the space available is the reason along with the cost, Some times we have to used what we have or what we can afford. Most of the chain sold today was made in China and won't be as good as local made 30 years ago.

Google: ":Renold Chain Selector"  My computer won't let me post the link for some reason. Don't like these new Windows. XP was a lot better.

If we can get the torque and RPM output to the chain will tell the size needed. There is also a manual selection (at the bottom) you can select the size chain and it will give the hours of use until it is stretched by 3%.  My guess that it is based on good high quality chain.

Hi Don, the chain I have used was designed for use on big engined bikes, so I hoped it would be up to the job. I'm guessing the chains just haven't finished stretching yet. They take a good few miles on a bike to stretch to a "might need to be adjusted every once in a while" point, the 6x6 hasn't been driven enough to get there yet.

Thanks for the chain selector link, it will come in handy :handgestures-thumbup:

When I do the "no outrigger" conversion I will fit the biggest chain I can fit in the available space.

Ian, thought of your comments re welding while I was working on my dump cart yesterday and I think we are sometimes a little over critical of our own work. To illustrate here's a factory weld I found on the frame.

attachicon.gifweld.jpg

:jaw: The strengthening plate is supposed to lie squarely and flush on top of the main frame rail but somehow had moved when the first welds were done leaving a gap to be bridged on this one. So much for any quality control. In the same position I think I might have at least ground the excess off rather than leaving it to be painted over.

Andy

Some quality factory welding there :rolleyes:

Your right though, I do tend to be a bit over critical of my work... In my mind a neat weld is a strong weld, even if my welding can be messy but strong!

Ian, how about a belt like this                                                $9.75 a foot @ Rockle.com sure you could find it cheaper

1/2" Power Twist Plus Link V-Belt

Thanks Brad, would these belts be up to the job? On the website they say they are for use in saw benches and the like, I'm not convinced they would be up to shifting almost a ton of weight about...

Then again all it would have to do is drive 2 hydraulic pumps!

Sorry guy's, no update this time but have the latest 6x6 video instead.

• Like 1

meadowfield

awesome as ever, loving the new intro

neil

Great vid Ian , I love the music at the beginning of intro .

Would be good to see a vid of the 6x6 churning up some mud while the ground is very soft & squidgy.

good luck with the new bushes

Neil

Stigian

awesome as ever, loving the new intro

Thanks Mark, I had to make a new intro to stop me going mad.. I'd heard the old one soooo many times.

I think the old one was a bit long as well, I've managed to trim off a few seconds with the new one :D

Great vid Ian , I love the music at the beginning of intro .

Would be good to see a vid of the 6x6 churning up some mud while the ground is very soft & squidgy.

good luck with the new bushes

Neil

Thanks Neil, there is a chance that the 6X6 might be coming out of the shack today for a drive about.. Just about everywhere around here is soft and squidgy!

If anyone wants to see another one of my videos, and a daft vid at that, then check out my latest blog entry here :handgestures-thumbup:    

Edited by Stigian

Anglo Traction

Yep, much better Intro' :handgestures-salute:

neil

Loved the vid  on (Green screening ) Ian ,

It made me chuckle quite a bit :thumbs:  :ROTF:

I look forward to some interesting green sceen creations in the future

bowtiebutler956

Great video Ian, and I liked the new intro as well. I liked the old one, but as many vids as you've made, I'd heard it a bunch of times, and change is good.  :thumbs:  I am looking forward to see the beast playing in some mud, and am hoping the new mods work great. What are you going to do when you finally get all the problems sorted out on the beast, and don't have anything left to fix? It will get mighty boring in the shack. :ychain:  Maybe, dozer blade?  :woohoo:  I got a kick out of the Green Screen video as well.  :ROTF:

Don1977

Saw you Green Screen Video.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   Just don't let your wife catch you Ironing the wrinkles out of it. She might give the the ironing duties. :ychain:

Stigian

Yep, much better Intro' :handgestures-salute:

Thanks Richard.

Loved the vid  on (Green screening ) Ian ,

It made me chuckle quite a bit   :ROTF:

I look forward to some interesting green sceen creations in the future

If I'm making people chuckle Neil, then I'm doing something right.

Yep, plenty more green screen use/daftness coming in the future :D

Great video Ian, and I liked the new intro as well. I liked the old one, but as many vids as you've made, I'd heard it a bunch of times, and change is good.    I am looking forward to see the beast playing in some mud, and am hoping the new mods work great. What are you going to do when you finally get all the problems sorted out on the beast, and don't have anything left to fix? It will get mighty boring in the shack.   Maybe, dozer blade?    I got a kick out of the Green Screen video as well.  :ROTF:

Thanks Matt, yep a change is good and very overdue! For some reason I struggle to come up with short (opening title size) bits of video :dunno:

Ran out of time and daylight yesterday to get the ol 6x6 out.. Maybe this afternoon if Rob is heading over and my wife let's me out to play.

The beast still has a long way to go yet before she is finished, but I do have a couple of new projects in mind.. One quite easy but different, the other different but quite a steep learning curve..

Glad you enjoyed the daft green screen vid. :handgestures-thumbup:

Saw you Green Screen Video.  :handgestures-thumbupright:   Just don't let your wife catch you Ironing the wrinkles out of it. She might give the the ironing duties.

Ironing duties!!     That will never happen Don...... We don't own an iron :D

Stigian

Well, what an er... Interesting few days it has been!!

Rob dropped in Saturday afternoon, the plan being to get the 6x6 out for a test drive. But time and daylight were not on our side and time ran out..

Take 2 on Sunday didn't start to well as the 6x6 was blocked in by the 312 and GT.. Despite the GT being fine on the Saturday it refused to move the next day!!

An hour and a few coffee's later after going through all the possibility's I noticed a bit of masking tape I had stuck on the GT's steering wheel to remind me of something.... It was on the wheel to remind me to turn the towing valve on the trans! :banghead:    Oops! :rolleyes:

So with the 6x6 off the axle stands she made her way out of the shack..

TSS15259_zpsdb108f2d.jpg

She felt good and strong and the drive train was doing what it should of been doing..

So Rob had a go..

TSS15261_zps78f8175b.jpg

Not a video for you Neil (that will come later when I have enough footage), but have a photo of the 6x6 churning up the mud :D

TSS15262_zps1352cb3e.jpg

What happened next I could of blamed on Rob... But it would of happened who ever was driving it at the time!!

You see the front left wheel spinning?

Shame the other two left wheels were not!

Yep my welds holding the sprocket onto the axle had broke!

TSS15264_zps22da1d54.jpg

The next hour odd was spent trying to get the 6x6 back in the garden.. She don't steer or drive that well with only 4 wheel drive!

Eventually with lots of swearing, squelching through mud and churning up of grass the 6x6 made it back into the garden with the assistance of the 312..

The GT is sulking in the background because it knew the 312 had managed what it couldn't!!

Of all the times for the GT to start playing up it chose the time it was really needed...  By playing up I mean starter problems and the engine stalling under even a little load!!    But that's another story for another thread..

TSS15265_zps2d879822.jpg

Can you spot which wheel was spinning a lot? :D

TSS15266_zps30dc9625.jpg

As much as Rob and I tried there was no way it wanted to drive up wet and muddy ramps into the shack while in 4 wheel drive mode.. To heavy to push and nowhere solid/strong enough on the shack to fix a winch onto, the poor 6x6 was abandoned outside for the night!!

As luck would have it it was quite a dry night rain wise and quite mild as well.. The poor 6x6 still didn't look to happy this morning after being left out in the dark overnight..

TSS15267_zpse7d5e636.jpg

Now boys and girls, try and learn from my mistakes..

The first time I welded he sprocket onto the axle I really couldn't see what I was doing! It was that dark and unlit in that corner of the shack at the time!  I think I was welding by luck and hope!  Maybe I should of tried using "The Force" instead :D

So kid's, when welding make sure your area is well lit and you can see not only what your welding, but see your welding as it happens.. Hope that makes sense..

Here's what "luck and hope" welding looks like... Yep the bush/sprocket was only held on the axle by 2 maybe 3 small blobs of weld!

TSS15268_zpsa18da300.jpg

As you can see, not the most ideal conditions for welding!

TSS15269_zpsa7889a02.jpg

And maybe not the tidiest of looking welds, but it sure is strong..  Welding in good light is a good move :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS15270_zpsb0727649.jpg

And finally the 6x6 made it back into the shack under it's own power, all 6 wheels turning as they should..

TSS15271_zps58d246cc.jpg

I did want to take her for a (2nd time lucky) test drive this afternoon, but by the time came I was too tired.. Also my ears were (and still are) ringing from the loudest back fire I have ever known about 2 ft from my ears!! 

I guess the GT wanted to make sure I knew it was still there!  But that's another story..

bowtiebutler956

I hate those kind of days Ian! The ones where nothing works the way their suppose too, and everything that can go wrong does. They seem to happen to me far to often, but they sure make you appreciate the good productive day more! :ychain:  Glad to see you have a good strong weld on it now. :thumbs:

Stigian

I hate those kind of days Ian! The ones where nothing works the way their suppose too, and everything that can go wrong does. They seem to happen to me far to often, but they sure make you appreciate the good productive day more! :ychain:  Glad to see you have a good strong weld on it now. :thumbs:

Hi Matt, the 6x6 has been having "one of those days" far to often of late as the video below will show!

But fear not boys and girls, there is good news but you will have to wait for me to upload it :)

wheeledhorseman

It's like tv when they don't show part two till the next night...............

Can't wait !

Andy