Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Stigian

I think you are going to get alot of attention @ Ardigly Ian .& i  think you are gonna need 4  beefy security guys in black suits & dark shades on each corner of the beast to keep the paparazzi  and the girlies away from the beast .

great job ,

Im certainly am going out at the weekend to get some more gigabytes for my camera

Does the beast have tool box installed anywhere  ?

Morning Neil, no need for security guards as I have much cheaper solution.. I just need to fix a rather old photo of me looking like a cave man (dreads in the hair and beard + a rock hanging around my neck) to the front of the beast.. That should frighten the paparazzi away :D

Nope, no tool box installed, no space for one.. Why do you ask?

I think you are going to get alot of attention @ Ardigly Ian .& i  think you are gonna need 4  beefy security guys in black suits & dark shades on each corner of the beast to keep the paparazzi  and the girlies away from the beast .

great job ,

Im certainly am going out at the weekend to get some more gigabytes for my camera

Does the beast have tool box installed anywhere  ?

Keeping the /girlies away? Surely a couple of hot scantily clad models should be part of the exhibit as per motor shows etc. :)

A couple of hot scantily clad models sounds just fine to me, if it rains a few words spring to mind.. A couple of them being "wrestling" and "mud" :D 

Where are these "hoods", "fenders" & a "gas tank" ? I can only see pictures of bonnets, wings & a petrol tank  :roll: 

Great stuff Ian!

Lol, howdo Ed... It's what comes of being a RS member for 5+ years..  Give it time and your be spelling tyres without a Y... :D

Looking good mate. ive made a start on engine, gonna use your crankcases. im taking pics as I go to upload on here. I want to get tractor back here so I can measure it up. I,ll do some videos later as well.

All the best mate catch up soon. Paul...

Hi Paul, I'd been wondering how your project was getting on.. It will be cool to see you post a thread about it.

Take care dude, catch ya soon... Are you going to Ardingly?

Stigian

Ian, or anybody, could you let me in on your little tips and secrets and help me out, could you tell me how you get such a good finish with a brush, is there any tips you could give,

Don't be fooled into thinking the top of the hood (sorry Ed, bonnet :D ) is as super smooth as it looks.. Photo's have a habit of making something look a lot better than it is...

Yeah and Ian is a wizard with photoshop too... It's actually only got 4 wheels, he just touches up the images to make it all look bigger :D

Don't give all my secrets away Mark :lol:

I was feeling a bit rough yesterday so not as much was done as I would of liked.. Just one of those days..

If your all starting to fear that I've got red red paint fetish, fear not as I painted a few bits black  :o

Part of the seat..

TSS15147_zpsf42893bc.jpg

And a couple of seat springs.

TSS15148_zps42027b13.jpg

A couple of bits of tread plate cut to size..

TSS15150_zps6bf9143b.jpg

To fit on these freshly painted foot plates.....

Well you didn't think I'd manage a day without painting something red did you ? :D

TSS15149_zpsdb993543.jpg

Stigian

I guess I should post this as well..

Enjoy Guy's n Girls.

Stigian

Morning all, a start was made yesterday at getting some of the nice shiny parts bolted back on..

I will let the photo's do the talking :D

TSS15152_zps97461c2b.jpg

TSS15153_zps8dcac2d0.jpg

TSS15154_zpsa54b7ab8.jpg

TSS15155_zps6b952578.jpg

neil

How deep are you intending to go with the painting Ian ?

hope you dont have to pull it all apart just to paint it.

Stigian

I'm just painting all the bolt on panels for now... It would of been nice to have it all painted for Ardingly, but stripping it down to the bare chassis and painting all the 1000's of parts will take a few months..

So yes, I'm going to have to pull it apart again for painting :rolleyes::D

Anglo Traction

When you do, just pull the Big Panels off it Ian ,  BIG Carrier Bags over the Wheels/Tyres and 'Factory Bomb' the rest of it. You'll need to concentrate on the GT !.

wheeledhorseman

I'm just painting all the bolt on panels for now... It would of been nice to have it all painted for Ardingly, but stripping it down to the bare chassis and painting all the 1000's of parts will take a few months..

I'll probably be shot down for saying this but it's one thing to be doing a 'nuts and bolts, ground-up' restoration and another thing to paint a tractor. In the case of my D-200 all the panels and lots of the smaller parts came off to be refurbed and then painted, however the time and cost of removing the engine, separating the hydro pump from the manifold (new set of seals needed), same with the rear transaxle, then there was the hydraulic system for the mid and rear lifts etc made me stop short of complete disassembly.

The frame with engine, hydro, transaxle, hydraulics and pistons were cleaned, prepped, and painted without disassembly and if it's a 'factory' finish you're aiming for then actually WH painted the tractors after much of the assembly work had been done. I don't want to sway you one way or the other but I'd recommend thinking seriously through what's involved before deciding.

Andy

Stigian

When you do, just pull the Big Panels off it Ian ,  BIG Carrier Bags over the Wheels/Tyres and 'Factory Bomb' the rest of it. You'll need to concentrate on the GT !.

Howdo Richard, why do I keep thinking of the Mr Bean way of painting when I read "factory bomb"  :lol:

The GT will get it's turn in a few weeks.

I'll probably be shot down for saying this but it's one thing to be doing a 'nuts and bolts, ground-up' restoration and another thing to paint a tractor. In the case of my D-200 all the panels and lots of the smaller parts came off to be refurbed and then painted, however the time and cost of removing the engine, separating the hydro pump from the manifold (new set of seals needed), same with the rear transaxle, then there was the hydraulic system for the mid and rear lifts etc made me stop short of complete disassembly.

The frame with engine, hydro, transaxle, hydraulics and pistons were cleaned, prepped, and painted without disassembly and if it's a 'factory' finish you're aiming for then actually WH painted the tractors after much of the assembly work had been done. I don't want to sway you one way or the other but I'd recommend thinking seriously through what's involved before deciding.

Andy

Morning Andy, no need to duck as I'm not going to shoot you down  :D

I understand what you are saying about painting it the "factory way", I would love to do that just to make life quite a bit easier and faster..

The trouble is things like the chassis are such a complicated design that getting one coat of paint on it will be fun enough.. I'm not sure if I can reach all the hidden places with a brush, no chance of a spray gun fitting in there!

Some bit's like the engine will be spray bombed, just mask up a few bits and hit it...  I might even leave the dented shroud in place even though I do have a non dented one to replace it...

One thing I do know.... The more I look at the pic's I'm just about to post up, the more I want to see the whole machine painted..

Wondering if it is possible to paint the wheels without taking them off now  :o

I managed to sneak a few hours in the shack yesterday and got a bit more done..

Even though the plastic dash panel needs replacing as someone cut a couple of big holes in it (now kind of hidden with a bit of black sprayed plastic wedged behind)  (anyone got a good one they want to sell me?) the white bit's did look very faded.. I'm not sure if I've made it look better or worse!!

Not to worry, it will be replaced.

TSS15156_zpse6f5df60.jpg

The bit of body under the dash got a quick coat of red stuff just so the last bit of visible body work was the same colour as the rest.. 

A view down the hood.

TSS15157_zpsfd4e1a6c.jpg

The next part to be bolted back on was the belt guard..  :D

TSS15159_zps4d574aa9.jpg

The indents in the mesh where it used to be bolted to a flywheel in a former life were filled with black painted screws and nuts.. Sorry about the blurred photo..

TSS15160_zpsf93f352a.jpg

A view from the back... Shame I need to take the guard off again to trim down the black painted screws to stop the front trans cooling fan from hitting them.. Also part of the guard is catching the hood when it's opened (I thought I had it sorted), so a little trim is needed.. Good job the bit that needs trimming is underneath making it a bit easier to hide the cutting damage..

TSS15161_zpsa00128ae.jpg

The fenders just vaguely resting in place.. Iv'e now where else to store them :rolleyes:

The trouble is I now want to paint the outriggers to make them look better for Ardingly, but that would make the wheels look even worse than they do now... So I'd have to paint them as well!!!

TSS15162_zps30b7ca7d.jpg

Anglo Traction

Hi Ian , Looking good. Not sure if I can help with the Dash Panel. I have refurbished one from a 73 Model which I was going to shove up for Auction (also has a polished Blanking Plug for the Cigar Lighter aperture) , but it is the 4 position Ign Key layout (uses ign switch 101917). -

post-3520-0-89227600-1372066001.jpg

Yours is a 3 position Ign Switch Panel from a 74 onwards (uses switch nbr 103990).

Yours if you want it?.

Stigian

Thanks Richard, you have a PM.. Well, you will do shortly when I've finished this update :D

Yesterday started very well, off came the belt guard for a little trim (bottom right, you can just about see it), and the wide headed screws were trimmed a little in the thread department to stop them catching the trans cooling fan...

TSS15163_zpsd47be61b.jpg

What happened next wasn't my fault.....

No really!!

I'd just touched up the paint on the belt guard you see....

And found myself in the Workshack with a paint brush in my hand......

I looked down and there was this mostly brown looking chassis in front of me...

The next thing I knew I was kneeling on the floor (on a cushion as I'm an old fart), still with the paint brush in one hand, but somehow a tin of paint had appeared in my other hand!!

A blink of an eye later or so it felt, even though it had taken me all day to do....

TSS15164_zps98bb46ce.jpg

TSS15165_zpsf3d3cec1.jpg

TSS15166_zps248f9ecb.jpg

:D :D

The truth be known, after seeing the ol girl yesterday with the belt guard bolted on and fenders plonked in place, I just knew I couldn't take it to Ardingly with the visible chassis unpainted..

I've only painted the parts I could get at without any dismantling or tuning the beast upside down, but looks a lot better she does  :D

I guess I need to buy the right paint for the wheels now  :rolleyes::lol:

wheeledhorseman

Good on ya mate, it had to be done ! :thumbs:

Hope it wasn't anything I said.

Andy

Stigian

Good on ya mate, it had to be done ! :thumbs:

Hope it wasn't anything I said.

Andy

Your off the hook Andy, it wasn't anything you said..... Well maybe :D

Yesterday didn't quite go according to plan..

Getting the ol girl up on axle stands was easy, the plan was to fire up the engine and turn the wheels slowly while applying huge amounts of grease to the drive chains in the outriggers..

Getting the engine to turn over yet alone run was the er... Interesting bit!!

After lot's of faffing about swapping earth leads about, checking the ignition barrel still worked and checking all wires for breaks I eventually found that a wire had come off the back of the ammeter which was stopping any power get to the ignition switch!!  :banghead::rolleyes:

With the wires sorted the next step was a nervous one..... Putting fuel in the new tank all the while hoping that I had managed to make the tank leak free....

The good news is so far it is leak free.. Ok, there's only about an inch of gas in the tank, but as the base of the tank was the place most likely to leak I'm rather happy  :handgestures-thumbup:

Oh, did I mention that the exhaust now sounds a lot louder and deeper than it used to?  :D

A couple of photo's from yesterday, belt guard and one of the footplates on..

TSS15167_zps70e06299.jpg

TSS15168_zps245c559e.jpg

A couple of "Thank you's" to finish with..

Thank you to Richard for not only selling me an immaculately refurbished dash panel, but offering an express delivery service.. See you about lunch time Richard :handgestures-thumbup:

And a big (if slightly late) Thank you to Michael otherwise known as Fordsonmajortom on this fine forum for dropping in on Monday and bringing me lots and lots of interesting fasteners and fittings..   It was good to catch up again Michael..  :handgestures-thumbup:

Edited by Stigian

Stigian

Morning all, it's been a busy couple of day doing yet more painting... Some of it in quite hard to reach places!!

Five out of six wheel have now had a coat of undercoat.. Or matt finish radiator enamel as it says on the tin... A tin of IH white turned up yesterday which should make the wheels look a bit more cream coloured and not so bright as they are now.

TSS15169_zps9f85505b.jpg

The trouble with this painting lark is once one bit has been painted, the bit next to it looks rough!!

Once the chassis had been painted I knew the wheels needed painting.... Of course you can't fit nice shiny wheels on tatty looking wheel hubs and axles!!

Sorry about the blurred photo..

TSS15170_zps412b5476.jpg

The battery box and 3 point towing frame also got a coat of the red stuff.

TSS15172_zps25385044.jpg

I might of got a bit carried away and hit the engine shroud with the red stuff as well  :D

TSS15171_zps24fb1654.jpg

Don1977

Looking good! That's going to look great once it's all painted and back together.

Rollerman

Looks great Ian, you are going to turn heads at Ardingly. :handgestures-thumbup:

Stigian

Looking good! That's going to look great once it's all painted and back together.

Thanks Don, there's very little left to bolt back on now, and... I think (hope) that all the painting is done for now.

Looks great Ian, you are going to turn heads at Ardingly. :handgestures-thumbup:

Thank you Stephen, I think people are going to be turning away from it at Ardingly so they are not blinded by it.. It does look rather bright first thing in the morning when the sun shines on it in the shack.. :D

First thing on the hit list yesterday was too get a photo of the "Richard refurbed" dash panel while my hands were still clean!   Stunning work Richard :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS15173_zps3d680c26.jpg

Most of the rest of the day was spent sitting or kneeling on the floor again, this time painting the wheels a nice slightly creamy look International Harvester white...  First wheel done..  Me likes..

TSS15174_zps59e27031.jpg

Yep, the wheels look much better now.

TSS15176_zps057392b7.jpg

All the panels bar the left side fender are now loosely bolted on, I hope to find the time this morning to get the rest bolted up and all bolts tightened.. Have a bit of a busy afternoon planned :eusa-whistle:

TSS15175_zpsb8cf5e69.jpg

TSS15177_zps49b4e71f.jpg

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

Fantastic Job there Ian,

Your "Creation" will surely be a "Big" hit at the show. 

Stigian

Fantastic Job there Ian,

Your "Creation" will surely be a "Big" hit at the show. 

Thanks David, I think it's certainly going to get it's fair share of attention.

Right Guy's n Girl's Can you guess what time it is??

Yep that's right, it's photo time....

A couple of "arty" shot's to begin with..

TSS15179_zps6772be9b.jpg

TSS15180_zpsc3448de6.jpg

The superb "Richard refurbished" dash panel in place.

TSS15181_zps3bafdee5.jpg

And at long last, the ol girl gets to go outside again.. The poor thing has been stuck in the Shack since the snow was on the ground!

TSS15178_zps573aa209.jpg

A very BIG :text-thankyouyellow:  to Mark (Meadowfield) for the amazing custom decals which really add the finishing touches to the ol girl..

TSS15182_zpsdf3dcf2a.jpg

TSS15183_zps73295557.jpg

TSS15184_zps63310e62.jpg

TSS15186_zpsf7e43c6f.jpg

TSS15187_zps61485046.jpg

TSS15188_zpsc6cb3195.jpg

TSS15190_zps918eac28.jpg

TSS15191_zpscb9af724.jpg

TSS15192_zpsf7d4d94a.jpg

TSS15189_zps85698e44.jpg

Looks great don't she.. :D :D

And if it will work as PotatoBucket refuses to work as it should today, here's a vid of Mark pottering around the garden on the 6X6

th_Markon6X6wmv_zps00d1a019.jpg

Go on Mark, you can now post the picture of the "Wheel Horse bar"  :beer: :beer:

Edited by Stigian
  • Like 2

meadowfield

Oh, alright then! It did make a very good drinks table

0bbc7e5a2cb916d09a585f5a910ce44b_zps329d

Can't believe I booked time off work to make sure I could make it over.... I think I was more excited than you stickering it up :D it felt good to be there seeing the finishing touches being applied!

Great to catch up again, thanks again for your hospitality and thanks again for letting me take her for a spin.

I'll get some of my pics potatobucketed and on here and my site. For now here's two phone pics

IMG-20130702-00592_zpsc33b920c.jpg

IMG-20130702-00591_zps3e116612.jpg

Cheers

• Like 4

bowtiebutler956

Wooooooooooow Ian, I can't believe that's the same Beast!! :jaw:  :jaw:  Its absolutely gorgeous! :scared-eek:  Its been a long time coming, but it was worth the wait, and I'm sure I can speak for every RS member when I say congrats, and well done. Those decals look fantastic on there, and really give it the final touch. Nice job Mark, and I really like the "In The Shack engineering" one.  I believe this :wh:  is going to steel the show. :thumbs:

The only thing that could make this any better, would be to see a dozer blade on the front!

Matt :flags-texas:

Edited by bowtiebutler956
  • Like 2

Don1977

It don't get any better than this! Just can't say enough, enigeneering, build, body work, paint, decials it's all great. It need a nice decal under " The Shack Engineering decial "

that say Built by Stigian.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Simply gorgeous Ian...thing looks like a  :wh: freight train.  :handgestures-thumbsup: 

• Like 1

dcrage

What a "Beast"! -- What a great build topic this has been!! -- I wish I had 1/10 of your skills and determination Ian -- What a wonderful job

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

All dressed up in it's 'Sunday Best'. Well I can't add much to what has already been said Ian. You done good !. It really look's right in every way, especially now it's Red. Just Amazing. Looking forward to seeing you/it at the show.  

• Like 1