Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

compo1970

Looking good mate.

Stigian

Ian, what red paint are you using, and where did you purchase it,

Looking good now,

Thanks Charlie, a splash of shiny paint makes all the difference..

Here's the paint I am using.

TSS15120_zps851eae80.jpg

I bought it here..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tractor-Agri-Enamel-Paint-International-Red-1lt-/290298749082?pt=UK_BOI_FarmingEquipment_RL&hash=item439727609a

And today we have... Lot's and lot's of panels with top coat painted inside. Oh, and one end of the gas tank.

.....And you even had time to cut the grass during a busy week Ian !. Glad you got some decent weather for the painting

Howdo Richard, yep shockingly I found the time to get the grass cut...   The weather hasn't been ideal for painting, lot's of warm sun but plenty of wind as well.

Looking good mate.

Thanks Paul... Have you got that engine built yet? :D

I only got a couple more bit's painted painted today...

The original gas tank holder panel was painted inside..

TSS15123_zps61045dd8.jpg

And my best bit of brush painting so far... A side cover....  It will look even smoother once the paint has had time to settle down and dry... But me happy :handgestures-thumbup:

TSS15122_zps8f1aad88.jpg

Charlie Smith

Thank you for the information on the paint.

Much appreciated :D

wheeledhorseman

Looking good Ian :handgestures-thumbup:

BTW happens to be the same paint that I use.

Andy

Stigian

Thank you for the information on the paint.

Much appreciated :D

Your welcome Charlie.

Looking good Ian :handgestures-thumbup:

BTW happens to be the same paint that I use.

Andy

Thanks Andy, weird about the same paint eh..

I will give Andy a big THANK YOU at this point for all your advice about the best way to brush paint a good finish..  Thanks mate  :handgestures-thumbup:

I managed to drag myself away from the GT 14 yesterday and get some more painting done..

Some bits of painting I'm more happy with than others..

The underside of the panel that the seat and fenders bolt on to came out quite nice..

TSS15124_zpsd32ee062.jpg

As did the insides of the fenders..

TSS15125_zps698dd140.jpg

Parts I'm less happy with.. They all have a few runs, the worst of course being the top of the gas tank!!

TSS15126_zpsf6ef7846.jpg

But I am rather happy with how the belt guard came out.. There are a couple of places where I didn't keep the paint flowing fast enough so you can see an overlap of paint, but other than that I'm quite chuffed  :D

TSS15127_zpsa1da237a.jpg

COMMANDO6

Very nice. Now what'll make it look amazing is when you get the top of the hood painted.

Stigian

Very nice. Now what'll make it look amazing is when you get the top of the hood painted.

It won't be long now, the front of the hood was painted yesterday :D

TSS15131_zps3b485bf4.jpg

TSS15132_zps2d8589f1.jpg

The GT started earning it's keep yesterday..

TSS15129_zps904d8baa.jpg

A close up of the shifter panel..

TSS15130_zps9704cb39.jpg

The weather is going to be warm and not too windy today, so I at last have a chance to put all the panels outside to dry a bit better.. :handgestures-thumbup:

Anglo Traction

The weather is going to be warm and not too windy today, so I at last have a chance to put all the panels outside to dry a bit better.. :handgestures-thumbup:

Ah!, The ole' Wheel Horse Panel Washing Line eh!.  You can put as many 'Fly Papers' out as you like with the panels, they will always prefer the wet painted panels . I'll keep my :handgestures-fingerscrossed: for you. 

Gettin 'Redder' every day Ian  :thumbs:

Stigian

Thanks Richard..   No sloshing about the red paint today, but all the panels I have painted so far went outside and spent a nice bit of quality time out in the sun hardening off.

All the bits that hold the seat up were also cleaned up and primed ready for some red top coat..

Sorry about the lack of pic's, the memory card in my camera lunched out today  and ate a lot of photo's including three I will never get a change to get again! :angry:

A hint of things to come thanks to my phone camera  :D

TSS15133_zpsa592934e.jpg

Stigian

A few more red paint photo's for you..

Both sides of the panel the seat/fenders bolt onto and one side done of the seat hinge plate.

TSS15135_zps347e4f08.jpg

And the inside sides of the fenders looking shiny..

TSS15137_zps486af605.jpg

TSS15136_zpsd220ccf6.jpg

If the weather plays nice today I hope to get the tops of the fenders and hood painted.

wheeledhorseman

From what I can see in the photos that paint finish is lookin' gooood Ian. Must be a happy man. :)

Andy

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Ian! I've gotten so used to see this thing as a rugged Beast, its going to be strange seeing it shiney. It will still be a Beast, but one dressed in its Sunday church clothes. :ychain:  :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Stigian

From what I can see in the photos that paint finish is lookin' gooood Ian. Must be a happy man. :)

Andy

Thanks Andy. As is the way things always look better in photo's than real life, but yes I'm a happy man :D

Looking good Ian! I've gotten so used to see this thing as a rugged Beast, its going to be strange seeing it shiney. It will still be a Beast, but one dressed in its Sunday church clothes. :ychain:  :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

Ta muchly Matt.. Yes it is going to be a bit weird seeing the ol girl looking all shiny after years of bit's of bare steel and red oxide.. Not sure I'm ready for the reality of it.. :lol:

For a change the weather was quite nice yesterday with only a slight threat of thunder storms which never turned up in the end.. So the time had come to give the last of the big panels a coat of the red stuff..

TSS15138_zps9c35208b.jpg

TSS15139_zps3950de8f.jpg

Pete demonstrating how the paint wasn't applied..

TSS15140_zps48404704.jpg

"I swear the hood was this wide yesterday"!  :laughing-rofl:

TSS15141_zps3de3f0ad.jpg

The fenders were also finished..

TSS15143_zps038f4f92.jpg

TSS15142_zps84c3daf6.jpg

TSS15144_zpscd8dd391.jpg

A bigger glimpse of things to come.. 

TSS15145_zps81c23314.jpg

And my favorite view from yesterday... :D

TSS15146_zps71b69920.jpg

• Like 1

meadowfield

looking good !

got the last of your decals yesterday, looks like I'll be passing by again soon to see the finished article...

• Like 1

Lars

Wow looking good Ian... cant wait to see it mounted... :)

Edited by Knusern

Anglo Traction

Wow , All that paintwork is enough to make you see red !. I take it there was a specific reason to wear 'T' shirts of an appropriate colour i.e to conceal any splashes :ychain:

Have you ordered a Gallon of Tyre Black yet ?.

Seriously though , a Beast with new clothes is still a Beast.....Going to look terrific Ian. :coffee:

Edited by Anglo Traction
  • Like 1

Stormin

I'm not jealous, honest. :thumbs:

Charlie Smith

Ian, or anybody, could you let me in on your little tips and secrets and help me out, could you tell me how you get such a good finish with a brush, is there any tips you could give,

Many thanks

meadowfield

Good surface preparation, clean brush, good paint!

The enamel I use has to be thinned to brush paint, the stuff Ian and Andy uses is good straight from the tin.

neil

I think you are going to get alot of attention @ Ardigly Ian .& i  think you are gonna need 4  beefy security guys in black suits & dark shades on each corner of the beast to keep the paparazzi  and the girlies away from the beast .

great job ,

Im certainly am going out at the weekend to get some more gigabytes for my camera

Does the beast have tool box installed anywhere  ?

Edited by neil

wheeledhorseman

I think you are going to get alot of attention @ Ardigly Ian .& i  think you are gonna need 4  beefy security guys in black suits & dark shades on each corner of the beast to keep the paparazzi  and the girlies away from the beast .

great job ,

Im certainly am going out at the weekend to get some more gigabytes for my camera

Does the beast have tool box installed anywhere  ?

Keeping the /girlies away? Surely a couple of hot scantily clad models should be part of the exhibit as per motor shows etc. :)

Ian, or anybody, could you let me in on your little tips and secrets and help me out, could you tell me how you get such a good finish with a brush, is there any tips you could give,

Many thanks

I'll pm you Charlie.

pycoed

Where are these "hoods", "fenders" & a "gas tank" ? I can only see pictures of bonnets, wings & a petrol tank  :roll: 

Great stuff Ian!

compo1970

Looking good mate. ive made a start on engine, gonna use your crankcases. im taking pics as I go to upload on here. I want to get tractor back here so I can measure it up. I,ll do some videos later as well.

All the best mate catch up soon. Paul...

Stigian

looking good !

got the last of your decals yesterday, looks like I'll be passing by again soon to see the finished article...

Morning Mark, I saw your PM yesterday, the decals look great, I can't wait to get them on the ol girl..

If your passing this way soon, do I need to serve the temporary eviction notices? Best I give them a little advanced warning   :laughing-rofl:

Wow looking good Ian... cant wait to see it mounted... :)

Thanks Lars, it won't be long until all the panels etc get bolted back on the ol girl.

Wow , All that paintwork is enough to make you see red !. I take it there was a specific reason to wear 'T' shirts of an appropriate colour i.e to conceal any splashes :ychain:

Have you ordered a Gallon of Tyre Black yet ?.

Seriously though , a Beast with new clothes is still a Beast.....Going to look terrific Ian. :coffee:

Howdo Richard, I wore the red T shirt in the hope that any paint splashes would land in the right places and cover all the stains and marks  :D

Tyre black!!  Nah.. I've got a tin of boot polish somewhere :lol:

I'm not jealous, honest. :thumbs:

Don't be Norman, you haven't seen the paint work up close.

Many thanks

Hi Charlie, I was going to send you a pm with all the handy hint's, tip's and good advice that Andy had pm'ed me.. It would seem that Andy has beaten me to it..

Don't be fooled into thinking the top of the hood (sorry Ed, bonnet :D ) is as super smooth as it looks.. Photo's have a habit of making something look a lot better than it is...

meadowfield

Don't be fooled into thinking the top of the hood (sorry Ed, bonnet :D ) is as super smooth as it looks.. Photo's have a habit of making something look a lot better than it is...

Yeah and Ian is a wizard with photoshop too... It's actually only got 4 wheels, he just touches up the images to make it all look bigger :D

• Like 2