Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Ole MN

"I feel the need to do some more engineering" Spoken like true tinkerer

Stigian

glad you are back and making progress

:D

So am I Mark, so am I :)

That is one honking big hood. There's gonna be a lot of red on there when it's done.

It looks even bigger now the top is all one colour.. Yep, loads of red..

Glad you are feeling better. We are all waiting with baited breath on the outcome of the tracks. Although in some way, I think many will be sorry if you get it working, because we all want to see the next fabulous engineering solution you come up with :ychain: ... (My bet is that you change the chassis to put the front and rear pairs of wheels on spindle mounts with 360 rotation, and create the world's first zero turn tractor) :laughing-rolling:

Ah yes, the dreaded tracks. They worked for a couple of turns before the tires chucked them off.. It was a kinda last ditch attempt to get the beast turning for the Ardingly show..

Here's the tracks waiting to be dismantled.. Loads of useful nuts and bolts.

TSS14376.jpg

Zero turn eh.. I was thinking of leaving the wheels where they are and adding a small jet engine to each corner to add "up and down" movement into the equation..

If I added a couple more for forward and back movement I could even give the top of our hedge a cut :laughing-rofl:

Stigian

"I feel the need to do some more engineering" Spoken like true tinkerer

You sound just like my Mum Brad... "He was always tinkering with nuts and bolts as a kid" :ychain:

I did a bit of internet shopping yesterday morning, and order all the chains, sprockets, skateboard wheels, etc needed to convert the wheel to wheel drive to something that should work..

With a bit of luck everything should be here by mid next week :banana-tux:

At the moment there is not much I can do on the beast without making a start on the rest of the bodywork.. I'd rather get her steering first..

I knew the main engine to trans'ssss drive belt was making some strange noises, better have a look...

But first the ol girl needed a bit of a clean..

"After the snow storm"..

TSS14377.jpg

"After the thaw".. Maybe aided by an airline...

TSS14378.jpg

Belt guard off.... Hhhmmmm that belt looks a little damaged..

TSS14379.jpg

Er.. yep!

TSS14380.jpg

I think the engine pulley I made on the lathe is partly to blame, the groove could do with being a tad wider so the belt fits better..

This pulley can't be helping things though.. The bearings decided they didn't want to work under such pressure and collapsed, making for a lop-sided pulley!

TSS14381.jpg

The good news is I do have other pulleys with good bearings that can be used.. The bad news is there are hidden in the outriggers being used as tensioners!!

Oh well, they need to come out anyway for the chain conversion.

TSS14382.jpg

Have an arty shot of the beast back in her normal position... Yep, up on axle stands :rolleyes:

TSS14384.jpg

To get the pulleys out I had to take wheel drive pulleys off first... These are now up on ebay along with lots of Kohler Magnum 18/20 hp and KT-17 parts..

TSS14383.jpg

Yippie the pulleys I need are finally out..

TSS14385.jpg

By this time the temperature had reached "way too hot" in the shack, so off to sit in front of a fan I went :D

TSS14386.jpg

Staub'sLawnmower

Look'en good man!!! You'll have that beast going in no time. The chains should do the trick! Mite have to have a couple of "cold ones" to stave off the heat :-)

Will

dsholler

<quote>Zero turn eh.. I was thinking of leaving the wheels where they are and adding a small jet engine to each corner to add "up and down" movement into the equation.. If I added a couple more for forward and back movement I could even give the top of our hedge a cut</quote>

Hmmmm. That would work, although you should check to see if there are any former Harrier pilots living nearby. You might need some lessons before you can get the top of the hedge straight.

pycoed

Glad to see you back on track(!) after a spell, Ian. Your output puts us all to shame. All I can offer at present is a decoke & ignition fault on an old 8hp Kohler from the A800 & then I lost fifth gear on my 4X4, so its box & transfer box out at the mo. so Wheelhorses have to wait in order of priorities

Stigian

Look'en good man!!! You'll have that beast going in no time. The chains should do the trick! Mite have to have a couple of "cold ones" to stave off the heat :smile:

Will

Hey Will, yep it won't be long until the ol girl is rolling again. The heat has been a killer, it's quite nice now it's a lot cooler..

<quote>Zero turn eh.. I was thinking of leaving the wheels where they are and adding a small jet engine to each corner to add "up and down" movement into the equation.. If I added a couple more for forward and back movement I could even give the top of our hedge a cut</quote>

Hmmmm. That would work, although you should check to see if there are any former Harrier pilots living nearby. You might need some lessons before you can get the top of the hedge straight.

Not sure if any former Harrier pilots live near by, but the army do have habit of flying Chinook's rather low over here at times, maybe I should flag one down and ask? :D

Glad to see you back on track(!) after a spell, Ian. Your output puts us all to shame. All I can offer at present is a decoke & ignition fault on an old 8hp Kohler from the A800 & then I lost fifth gear on my 4X4, so its box & transfer box out at the mo. so Wheelhorses have to wait in order of priorities

Morning Ed (have I got that right?) My output at the mo would put a snail to shame, but nothing faster!

Good luck with the de-coke and getting your 4X4 fixed.

It's been a slow few day's in the Workshack, just pottering doing small bit's while waiting for parts to turn up, such as cleaning the surface rust off these taperlock bushes..

TSS14387.jpg

And making a start on four chain guides. Here's part of one of the belt tensioners in the lathe for a bit of a tidy up.

TSS14390.jpg

Not forgetting to video the lathe action.. It's been a while since any has appeared in any of my vid's.. This will appear in part 36.

TSS14391.jpg

Ta-Daa..

All I need is a small bit off each end.

TSS14393.jpg

The stepped bit is so the bar won't rub on the bearing seals.

TSS14394.jpg

A few parts have arrived.. A nice big box of 3/4" pitch chain..

TSS14388.jpg

And yesterday this box of sprockets and chain links turned up :D

TSS14389.jpg

One of the sprockets on an axle to see how it looked..

I might need to space it out a tad so the chain clears some bolt heads behind.. we shall see when I plonk the chain on..

TSS14392.jpg

For your viewing delight, here's part 35 of the build vids.

Alan_Heist

One of the sprockets on an axle to see how it looked..

I might need to space it out a tad so the chain clears some bolt heads behind.. we shall see when I plonk the chain on..

TSS14392.jpg

Ian, Can you just turn them around on the axle to put the sprocket teeth on the outside edge?

COMMANDO6

:text-yeahthat: Then it looks like you wouldn't have to lengthen the axle. It looks like that sprocket is just the right thickness to go on that axle.

Stigian

Ian, Can you just turn them around on the axle to put the sprocket teeth on the outside edge?

Hi Alan, I would be nice if it was as simple as that..

I'm using Taperlock sprockets and bushes...

TSS14395.jpg

Drop the bush in the sprocket and put a couple of grub screws in the opposite holes..

When they are tightened up the bush gets squeezed down and grips the axle really tightly..

I'd not be able to fit the grub screws if the bushes/sprockets were fitted the other was round on the axles..

TSS14396.jpg

:text-yeahthat: Then it looks like you wouldn't have to lengthen the axle. It looks like that sprocket is just the right thickness to go on that axle.

See above :D

Sorry Guy's, this is a bit of a pathetic update, it's been one of those weeks..

Wednesday I threw a chain on the sprockets and found there was clearance between the chain and the bearing block bolt heads... But only just!! Some small spacers are needed me thinks..

The rest of the day was spent cutting grass..

C360_2012-08-01-12-32-05.jpg

Which really killed me, so much so that Thursday was spent being a wobbly mess... "No pain, no gain", so the saying says... Being the weird chap I am, that saying is in the wrong order for me :rolleyes:

I did manage to get a little bit more done yesterday, I made a start on the sprocket spacers..

TSS14397.jpg

A quick break to take a photo of some spectacular clouds..

TSS14399.jpg

Four 2mm thick spacers made.. they just need a little tidy up with a file..

TSS14400.jpg

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Ian! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

KC9KAS

Just goes to show you that a guy needs a really good metal working shop to work on our Horses!

Keep the vids and pictures coming....You realize this post started 3 years ago and is still going!

bowtiebutler956

I'm not even sure I would call it a post anymore. Maybe a mini-series, or a saga. :ROTF: It sure has kept me on the edge of my seat. :thumbs:

D Block

Wow. I spent 3 days reading this. Simply put; you're the man. Thank you for documenting this.

• Like 1

Stigian

Looking good Ian! :thumbs:

Thanks Matt. It's getting there slowly.

Just goes to show you that a guy needs a really good metal working shop to work on our Horses!

Keep the vids and pictures coming....You realize this post started 3 years ago and is still going!

I guess it's all down to what kind of work needs to be done on an 'orse as to how good your shop needs to be... If you get slightly carried away with a build (like me) then things like a lathe come in handy....

Then again, every one should have a lathe, such handy machines :thumbs:

The vid's and picture will keep on coming, just maybe a little slower than they have been. Slow is the only speed my body works at at the mo.

3 years eh... How time fly's when your having fun :D

I'm not even sure I would call it a post anymore. Maybe a mini-series, or a saga. :ROTF: It sure has kept me on the edge of my seat. :thumbs:

You may have a point there Matt.. Meet you in the middle and call it a "mini saga" :laughing-rofl:

Wow. I spent 3 days reading this. Simply put; you're the man. Thank you for documenting this.

That's 3 days of your life your never get back.. :ychain: Only kidding. Thanks for taking the time to read through it all.

Sorry guy's yet another small update, I'm just very short on energy at the mo.

Anyway, with all six spacers for the axles made, it was time to see how the chain clears the bolt heads now..

Yep, that's enough space.

TSS14401.jpg

The sprockets only sit 2mm proud of the axles, nowt a thick washer won't solve.

TSS14402.jpg

At long last the skateboard wheels finally turned up.

TSS14403.jpg

A bit of trimming is needed but they should make good chain guides.

TSS14404.jpg

This is a first for me, turning a skateboard wheel on the lathe.

TSS14405.jpg

The original plan was to cut a groove in the center.

TSS14406.jpg

But today I decided just to make them a smaller diameter. An invisible Pete seen here having fun on the lathe.

TSS14407.jpg

And that folks is where the build stands at the end of play today.

Other than.....

Happy birthday to this build thread..

TSS14408.jpg

3 years old today..

TSS14409.jpg

A slice of cake for Pete..

TSS14410.jpg

A slice for me..

TSS14411.jpg

And of course let's not forget...

TSS14412.jpg

:D

• Like 2

c161rat

Ian....I'm going to ship you a truck load of energy drinks!!!!!!! I cant wait much longer to see this thing in action!!!!!! I think I can speak for many of us that have been following this thread for years and say HURRY UP AND FINISH THIS THING ALREADY!!!!!!! Sorry about the shouting......LOL......But seriously I think you are on the right track with the chain drive system........Keep plugging away buddie!!!!!!!

dsholler

You know that once he gets it running, he will then need to take it all apart and clean and paint it, and then he will decide that there is a job for this machine that requires some new attachments, which of course will have to be built from scratch, etc. etc. etc. I expect that we will see the 5 year cupcake....:P

• Like 2

zieg72

Happy Birthday 6x6!!!

Stigian

Ian....I'm going to ship you a truck load of energy drinks!!!!!!! I cant wait much longer to see this thing in action!!!!!! I think I can speak for many of us that have been following this thread for years and say HURRY UP AND FINISH THIS THING ALREADY!!!!!!! Sorry about the shouting......LOL......But seriously I think you are on the right track with the chain drive system........Keep plugging away buddie!!!!!!!

I might need something a bit stronger than an energy drink :D

I suffer with a condition called Dystonia (nope it's not that place next to Russia :D ) which broadly speaking means the part of my brain that controls movement has decided it knows better than me and can make my muscles do whatever it wants them to without asking me first!

I also shake a lot which is a real energy sapper as is "being naughty and overdoing it" as my Wife calls it..

The mad couple of months getting the beast ready for the Ardingly show has really knocked me sideways, so relaxed and slow is the only way to go at the mo.

You know that once he gets it running, he will then need to take it all apart and clean and paint it, and then he will decide that there is a job for this machine that requires some new attachments, which of course will have to be built from scratch, etc. etc. etc. I expect that we will see the 5 year cupcake.... :P

Don't forget the 3 point linkage on the back.. A dozer blade for the front... and the ultimate goal of steel tracks..

No rush for the last two though...

Happy Birthday 6x6!!!

I've passed your message on to the 6X6, and she says thank you very much :lol:

Sorry Guy's for this almost no progress report.

When I wondered into the Shack on Thursday I found the power was down! After a quick check in the house to see if there was a power cut.. Nope..

Hhmm.. So what had been running in the shack overnight?? Oh.. The compressor!!

Guess who had not remembered to check it's oil level.. :angry-banghead:

TSS14416.jpg

To add to the problem the only way to get the compressor out from it's hiding place under the bench is to dismantle most of the bench! Oh well, I can look at it another day.

TSS14417.jpg

I knew the slots in the outriggers I'm using for the chain guide adjustment needed elongating a tad, so longer they went.. One side anyway.

TSS14414.jpg

Let's throw some chain on and see how it fits...

Ah... One link too long..

TSS14415.jpg

Oh well, I knew I had a 50/50 chance of it of the chain lining up just right.. The annoying thing is I did order some half links.. Trouble is I managed to order the wrong size and didn't notice my mistake until the order had been dispatched!!

To finish this update on a lighter note.. I did have a quick look at my compressor yesterday, and found that despite the lack of oil it's not seized up.. far from it..

So I guess it's the motor (although it does turn freely) that's shot or something strange electrical is going on with it. If I turn the compressor on nothing turns just a loud buzz, until I turn it of a second later!! Any ideas anyone?

For those of you that are in need a build video fix, here's part 36.. It has a daft bit, a high speed lathe bit... and some buzzards!!!

massey

Looking good Ian, I like the chain drive idea.

bowtiebutler956

Looking good Ian! Best use of skateboard wheels I've ever seen. :ROTF:

312Hydro

Check the starting capacitor on the compressor motor. It's probably bad.

COMMANDO6

:text-yeahthat: I don't know how old the compressor is, but capacitors tend to die with age.

meadowfield

Yeah, motor run caps.... They hate long mains runs ( high inductance makes them work harder)

I've seen your mains routing. :)

dbartlett1958

I don't know what HP your compressor motor is, but you can wire in a large wattage light bulb(300Watt heat lamp bulb works good) in place of the capacitor to diagnose if you happen to have one about.

• Like 1