Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Ole MN

As always you amaze me on what you can do. I like the look, room for a big gas tank.

timmybobwatt

Ian,

I read this thread all in one go. :woohoo:

Incredible fabrication, for someone self taught your work is incredible!

I can see the hours of contemplation in every single stage, and the hours of work in every single photograph.

Where are you based? I'd love to come and visit at some point (with a couple of locally brewed ales, of course!)

2tractornuts

:woohoo: cool thread

smoreau

I bet you could recoup some money making taperd shaft adapters for these kohler twins form generators for our :woohoo: tractors.

wheeledhorseman

:woohoo: I've been and seen it !!!!!!!

Knowing that I'd be at a military vehicle show for the week that was not far from him, Ian invited me to pop over and see the beast at close quarters so as to speak :D .

It was of course well worth the trip to see such an awesome project being produced in a modestly furnished garden workshop as a result of Ian's skill, vision, ingenuity and passion (and of course to meet the man himself). The project was a step nearer to being on its wheels with the axles in place ready to take them. There was all sorts of things to talk about and be shown but I didn't get to see the hood extension mock up.

Re the hood, I would say a very big :D to extending it at least as far as you did in the mock up and possibly even further. Aesthetically I think it might look even better if it were extended to start perhaps one or two inches further forward given the size and position of the front wheels and the overall size of the beast. Mounting a longer than standard hood on an extension bracket to bring it forward of the frame is something that was done with the 227-5 to cater for the large Kawasaki 17hp OHV engine so it would certainly be in keeping with :P tradition and worth considering.

Anyway, thanks Ian for your hospitality and taking a bit of time out from the project to show it to me. I'll try and pop in for a cuppa next time I'm anywhere nearby. :ROTF:

Stigian

Looks like a great score on that motor. whtractor/thumbsup.gif Hood looks good too. Would you say you're 50% finished ? It's going to be a Mean,Lean,Big Red whtractor/whlogo.gif Machine!

Thanks Rich, the new engine should give me all the power this machine needs.

I think I was quite lucky to get the engine at the price I did (

Stigian

Ok... I might of been a bit optimistic about getting this project on it's wheels before the weekend, lot's of measuring and cutting of steel took a lot longer than I thought it would :D

But it's getting there :woohoo:

The front left side axle going on.

TSS448.jpg

Andy (Wheelhorseman) casting his eye over the pile of welded together steel on the bench.

TSS449.jpg

Not long now until the wheels are fitted.

All the extra chassis steel needs seem welding.. Well, what I can do for now without turning the chassis over..

And the wheel hubs need welding onto the axles.

It proved impossible to take a photo of the whole chassis in one hit, so have a few photo's of parts of it :ROTF:

A kinda from the back view..

TSS450.jpg

Left side.

TSS452.jpg

Right side.

TSS453.jpg

And finishing on a "kinda from the front" shot..

TSS454.jpg

meadowfield

looking good... and getting there...

any estimate on the weight of the beast? :woohoo:

I'm thinking power to weight ratio...

might mean you need to add a turbo or NOS to the twin :D

Or maybe twin/twin engines?

keep up the good work !

mark

Stigian

Morning all, just a very quick update to keep you all up to speed on the latest work.

First thing on the job list yesterday was to tack weld the wheel hubs onto the new axles..

Some steel box kept everything lined up.

TSS455.jpg

With the axles done, next was a quick strip down to make life easier for lot's of welding.

TSS456.jpg

A few hours later....

That looks better, just need to give the welds a quick tickle with the grinder to tidy them up :woohoo:

TSS457.jpg

Hang on.. The wheels don't touch the ground!!!!

TSS458.jpg

Which means....

Yep, one side is done :D

TSS459.jpg

The other side is 95% seam welded, so by the end of the day this beast should be finally a rolling chassis :ROTF:

meadowfield

cool !

looking forward to tonights installment !

mavfreak

Looking good Stig! Now I don't know if this question has been asked (this thread is really long and I may have seen this but forgot by the time I finished reading) Are you going to have tracks on this?

Stigian

looking good... and getting there...

any estimate on the weight of the beast?

I'm thinking power to weight ratio...

might mean you need to add a turbo or NOS to the twin

Or maybe twin/twin engines?

keep up the good work !

Thanks Mark, it's looking even better now.. But more of that shortly :D

No idea on the weight of the beast, I might have to see if I can "borrow" a weigh bridge when it's finished to find out..

No sure on NOS, it would cost too much to keep having the bottles refilled..

A turbo though... hhmmm.

If is stretch the hood enough I might be able to squeeze "twin twins" in..

cool !

looking forward to tonights installment !

Lol, it's here!!

Looking good Stig! Now I don't know if this question has been asked (this thread is really long and I may have seen this but forgot by the time I finished reading) Are you going to have tracks on this?

Thanks Mavfreak, yeah this thread is getting a bit long.. It's been almost 2 years now!

I'm going to run it on just the 6 wheels for now, but tracks will happen at some point, maybe rubber, maybe steel.. Time will tell on that one.

And now folk's, onto the main event :P

Well what a day it has been!!

A mixture of "keenness" to get cracking on, a bit of "of all the times for something to stop working it has to happen now"..

Followed by "phew, it's working again", then a big lump of "Why won't this bolt up"!!

And finally lot's of this.. B):D

Today started well.. A mug of coffine and a bit of welding.

Then Pete turned up, so more coffine then back to welding, only to get a click from the on/off switch and no other sounds!! Hhhmm, strange!!

2 fuse changes later and still no working welder!!

5 min's later my Ark welder looked like this while all wires and connections were checked, all seemed good.

TSS460.jpg

Better check the on/off switch then...

TSS461.jpg

Hhmm.. it would seem the switch is knackered...

With nothing to lose at this point the switch was carefully cracked open and the slightly burnt contacts were cleaned up..

TSS462.jpg

Ten minutes later the click of the on/off switch was followed by a hum and the sound of a cooling fan.... Sorted :D

To celebrate I finished welding the last wheel hub onto it's axle.

TSS463.jpg

Pete then started cutting some steel for me but soon found out that shorts and opened toed sandals and hot sparks don't mix!!

TSS464.jpg

So I finished the steel work and Pete had some fun with a rattle can.

TSS465.jpg

I would of taken a few pic's of the axles/wheels/etc being bolted on, only this was the point we were wondering "Why won't this bolt up" as we tried to bolt on the outrigger :woohoo:

To cut a long story short, by 3.30pm we had got to this point.. Yep no axle stands :ROTF:

TSS466.jpg

A rolling chassis!!

TSS467.jpg

A strange angled shot from the front..

TSS468.jpg

And a very happy chap :D

TSS469.jpg

Due to the welder breaking down and other stuff that cut into the time today we didn't have time to get the chassis outside for a good look and mock-up..

But of course we did find the time for a mock-up on the bench :D

From the back..

TSS472.jpg

And a couple from the front..

TSS470.jpg

TSS471.jpg

There is a chance the chassis may find it's way into the garden for a mock-up tomorrow.. I hope so as I want to sit on it looking down the long hood with a big grin on my face :P

I want to be able to sit

mavfreak

:woohoo:

Ole MN

:woohoo: Another milestone, Congrats

Sparky

I know your handy with a measuring tape so I probably shouldnt ask this but.......do you have a wide enough door on the workshack to let the beast out :D ?

Looks incredible so far Ian :woohoo: !

Mike........

71_Bronco

Thank god you put the front attach-a-matic on. How else would you be able to power the mower deck????

Looking good, can't wait to see it all finished!!

Stigian

:P

Thanks Mavfreak :woohoo:

Another milestone, Congrats

Ta muchly Brad, yep getting this project rolling is quite a big milestone in this build..

In fact it was a big milestone that when I wondered out to the Shack yesterday I did feel a bit lost wondering what part I should start on next!!

I know your handy with a measuring tape so I probably shouldnt ask this but.......do you have a wide enough door on the workshack to let the beast out biggrin.gif ?

Looks incredible so far Ian

Thanks Mike.

If this machine won't fit out the door I could always make one of the Shack's end walls hinge down "Thunderbirds" style :D

Thank god you put the front attach-a-matic on. How else would you be able to power the mower deck????

I won't need a cutting deck, the tire scrub when turning should be enough to wear the grass down..... Hope my Landlord isn't reading this B)

After Tuesdays manic fun and games I fancied a more gentle day yesterday.

As the length of the hood has become a topic of discussion, I thought I'd start on that.

Also having something as large and as noticeable as the hood finished is great for motivation :D

With the front of the donor hood trimmed off to get it to sit better over the er... other hood.

The new engine got a trial fit at the same time, a few mod's are needed to get it to fit in the right place.... More on that when I start fitting the engine.

TSS473.jpg

The blue paint was sprayed on to help me see the swage lines.

As you can see here they don't quite match up here.

TSS474.jpg

A few tweaks later, it's looking better but could look even better and maybe a tad longer.

TSS475.jpg

While looking for a pair of hood hinges I found these hinge extension bracket :D 's that I think are C-125 items..

TSS476.jpg

The new even longer hood, that looks better :D

TSS477.jpg

The front of the hood ends just inside the front wheels, perfect :D

TSS478.jpg

A few quick checks before marking cut lines.

Looks good this side..

TSS479.jpg

And the other side.

TSS480.jpg

The top will need a little bit of work to get the curves macthing.

TSS481.jpg

The point of no return, marked and ready to be cut.

TSS482.jpg

Some cutting, head scratching, careful clamping and a few tack welds later....

TSS483.jpg

Some very minor hammer and dolly is needed this side.

TSS484.jpg

The top curve is only a small amount out, it should be easy to sort :ROTF:

TSS485.jpg

And to finish off this update, a view from the chair.. I think it looks quite good from this angle :P

TSS486.jpg

312Hydro

Coming together nicely! The hood work looks good and you could probably add a tool box under it if you only use 1 motor. Do you have chain hoists to get it on the ground or a set of ramps? I don't think picking it up by hand would be an option. Sure looks impressive! :woohoo: :D

71_Bronco

Lookin good, I like the "extended" hood that you went with, looks better in my opinion.

I cant wait to see this thing run and driving around terrorizing the neighborhood lol

massey

Congratulations on reaching the "rolling chassis" stage, I know that's got to feel good. :woohoo:

illinilefttackle

:D Hey Ian- Congrats on your getting the 6 legged horse on the ground ( so to speak)!

I've been following your progress from my humble abode here in Indiana-USA. I've been dying to ask you a question- Don't take it personal- I'm not prying into your affairs-BUT- how in the heck do you afford all that steel? And where do you buy it? Thanks-Al

chesbaycruiser

Ian,

I have to say that this (and Massey's Mini-Dozer post) are my "go to" posts whenever I check in to RS. If I don't look at another post, I check out these two to see what's new. ("Please let there be new photos...please let there be new photos!!!")

The talents, ingenuity and skill level you guys display is really amazing. :woohoo::D:ROTF:

On a different front, I just subscribed to your YouTube channel and was checking out some vids. After watching the Wheel Horse Trans Flush video, I'm even more impressed. I had no idea that besides being a Wheel Horse Sensei, you were also an accomplished graduate of the Benny Hill School of Cinematic Excellence. Awesome! :D

Cheers!

CB

:P

Stigian

Good evening/afternoon guy's, before I start on this update I have to say I'm blown away by you guy's....

This thread has had almost 13'000 views :D

So a BIG :ROTF: guy's for all the great comments, suggestions, advice and help over the past (almost) 2 years it has taken to get to this point in the build.

It means a lot to me :D

Coming together nicely! The hood work looks good and you could probably add a tool box under it if you only use 1 motor.

Hi Rich, I'm not sure what extras will make it under the hood to keep the engine company, a tool box isn't a bad idea, I guess see what space is left after the steering controls and gubbins get squeezed under the hood stand.

I did measure up (just out of interest :woohoo: ) to see if two engines could be fitted in.

If the back of the hood got a bit of a trim, two engines could just be fitted lengthways.

Trouble is the rear engine would take up all of the foot space and not leave any room to fit the brake pedal!

Do you have chain hoists to get it on the ground or a set of ramps? I don't think picking it up by hand would be an option.

The answer is coming up in this update, so keep on reading.

Yep, she's way too heavy to pick up by hand.

Lookin good, I like the "extended" hood that you went with, looks better in my opinion.

I cant wait to see this thing run and driving around terrorizing the neighborhood lol

Your right about the hood, I don't think a standard length hood would of looked right.

Out of interest I measured my Raider 10's normal size hood today to compare lengths..

Standard is 33 inches, the new longer hood measure in at a whopping 44 inches.

I think my neighbors are starting to get used to me now, but when this beast moves under it's own power it will certainly scare the sheep :P

Congratulations on reaching the "rolling chassis" stage, I know that's got to feel good.

Thanks Massey, yes it does feel good to have it on it's wheels.

I bet you felt the same when you first fitted the tracks to your Mini dozer project.

Hey Ian- Congrats on your getting the 6 legged horse on the ground ( so to speak)!

I've been following your progress from my humble abode here in Indiana-USA. I've been dying to ask you a question- Don't take it personal- I'm not prying into your affairs-BUT- how in the heck do you afford all that steel? And where do you buy it? Thanks-Al

Hi Al, don't worry I not your not prying. Most of the

Stigian

And now chap's it's time for the photo's you have been waiting for..

And the answer to Rich's question of how it's going to be got off the bench..

I had planned to have a gentle day in the Shack yesterday, but when Pete unexpectedly turned up we decided the time had come to get this machine off the bench and outside for a good coat of looking at :D

Ramps and and plenty of rope is the answer Rich :ROTF:

Two ropes and a strap were rigged up in a way (that only Pete knows) that would slowly release and ease the beast down the ramps.

I did steering duties and applied lot's of pressure with a crow bar to stop the right side outrigger demolishing the bench!!

TSS487.jpg

A little while later the rolling chassis is outside and looking er... a bit small!!

TSS488.jpg

And now one of those monumental moments in this build..

This is the first time I have been able to sit behind the wheel so to speak :D

TSS489.jpg

And from the other side.

TSS490.jpg

Of course Pete wanted to have a drive :P

TSS491.jpg

Pausing only to see what he had run over :D

TSS492.jpg

Side by side with my Raider 10.. The extended hood only looks a little bit longer than standard...

TSS493.jpg

Until you look from the other side :D

TSS494.jpg

One last photo for this time folk's..... A line up..

312-8 at the back..

1974 Raider 10 at the front..

And a Raider 20 SS in the middle? :woohoo:

We need to work out a name for it Guy's :D

TSS495.jpg

312Hydro

One last photo for this time folk's..... A line up..

312-8 at the back..

1974 Raider 10 at the front..

And a Raider 20 SS in the middle? :woohoo:

We need to work out a name for it Guy's :D

TSS495.jpg

Looks great out in the fresh air! Raider 20 6x6