Stigian

Introducing the Stig Special

Stigian

Morning Guy's only a small update.. But first....

you do great work Ian

:WRS: Sir

Allways nice to hear another update Ian. Do you have heat in the "shack"? My garage is ice cold and its no fun working in it in the winter. I do have a Salamander type hetaer but it takes awhile to get the garage warm and its loud as heck! Can't hear the stereo over it

Hi Mike, Yes I do have a heater down the Shack, a big ol wood burner with a couple of fans to blow the heat about.

Bit of an old photo this as the heater hadn't been installed at the time, but it's been keeping me warm for the past two or three years :banghead:

My heater is a bit loud as well, but I just turn the radio up :lol:

Then I can't hear the phone!!!!

100_1929.jpg

Only a few photo's this time as lathe work tends to take it's time, and lot's of photo's of the same bit of steel slowly changing shape would be boring..

Start with a square of steel..

PC310172.jpg

Add a few hours, quite a few coffee's and the odd smoke and slowly the square turns into a brake disc mounting flange thingy.

IMG_0055.jpg

And they say only women can multi-task!!!

While being a "slave to the lathe", I was also cutting another square off a big slab of steel..

When I say "me" I could mean this big cutting thingy :thumbs:

PC310179.jpg

The next job is to machine another wheel mounting flange from the cut off steel square!!!

Might take a while this one :wwp:

IMG_0057.jpg

bitten

Ian

Looking forward to how this comes out. What calipers will you use?

Stigian

Hi Bitten, Im using a pair of Kawasaki Gpz305 front calipers and Z200 front disc's.

wesley

:thumbs: Glad to se you are still hard at it , its going to take me ages to catch up on reading the posts .

wes

Stress Test Pullin

stig excellent work, im curious to see this thing when your finished! :thumbs: :banghead:

rickv1957

Nice machine work there!! :thumbs: Rick

Stigian

Wow... how time fly's when you have had a busy year!!

It's been almost a year since this project last got an update from me :D

The last job to do to make my new Workshack fully operational was to get the lathe sorted..

It now has a proper catch tray and splash back..

TSS1.jpg

And a "Black death" catch bottle :D

TSS2.jpg

Which means........

Garry pronounces this new Workshack....

DSCF1047.jpg

Open :D

DSCF1049.jpg

Which also means....

I can get back to building this strange 6 wheeled Wheel Horse B) that is sitting on the bench..

TSS3.jpg

I'm starting about where I left off, which means more lathe work..

Here's the second Wheel hub taking shape..

TSS4.jpg

A steel Polo mint B)

TSS5.jpg

Fits the wheel a treat :D

TSS6.jpg

That's the two wheel mounting flanges machined...Bit of a shame they were not quite the same size... :ychain:

Oh well, it's easily solved by takeing a bit more metal off the first flange..

It didn't take long to work out that if I stand any chance of getting the machining finished, brush applied coolant just wasn't going to cut it.

One car screen washer bottle, the nozzle borrowed from my power hacksaw thingy and a big car battery soon gave me a coolant pump system :D

TSS7.jpg

Two (now) matching flanges..

TSS8.jpg

That look much better with the sharp edges machined off :hide:

TSS9.jpg

The time had come to slot the new wide wheel hub parts onto the axles to see how they looked.

TSS10.jpg

A close up..

The big flange thingy will be heat shrunk and then welded onto the main hub bar thingy. The smaller one is for bolting on the brake disc and will also get the heat shrink/ welding treatment.

The axle out of the trans will get a bearing race to help keep most of the stresses out of the trans..

There will be bearings on the outer side of the wheel hubs..

Hhmm... I need to knock up a few diagrams to help explain quite how i plan to build this thing.

TSS11.jpg

Stigian

It was at this point that I started wondering if the wheel base was going to be a bit too wide.. So out came a couple of wheels, a measuring tape and a big black pen to mark a few lines on the bench to see if I was right..

TSS12.jpg

After a bit of :ychain: ing the trolley jack and axle stands came out and up the project went.

It's easier to see if the proportions look right if the 'orse is at the right height :D

It still looks a bit wide though!!!

TSS14.jpg

Still not looking right even with three wheels!!!

TSS15.jpg

But with the wheels moved in an inch the shiver up my spine told me I had got it right :D

TSS17.jpg

Plenty of foot room as well :hide:

TSS16.jpg

The easiest way to move the wheels in, was to move the wheel mounting flanges in an inch... So Rob set to on the lathe.

TSS18.jpg

Flowing coolant certainly helps with the quality, speed and thickness of steel the lathe can cut :D

TSS19.jpg

While Rob was busy lathe-ing I had a look at where the wheels would sit, and noticed a slight problem at the front..

TSS20.jpg

Yep, the chassis is a bit short!!

TSS21.jpg

But with these two 8 inch lengths of angle (actual bit's of Wh chassis) welding in, the chassis will be right.

The place in to splice the extra inches in just in front of the front engine mount, so I can weld the front hitch back on.

TSS22.jpg

That's all for now folks, tune back in to find me still standing in front of the lathe.. But it means this project is moving in the right direction B)

sorekiwi

Good to see you hard at it again Ian!

That new work-shack is a bit posh isnt it??

chris11

Im so glad your working on this project again.

WheelHorse_of_course

Whoo hoo Ian the :ychain: is back!

Good to see the latest progress. Work shack looks nice.

Stigian

Good evening chap's, yes it's that update kinda time again... But first...

Good to see you hard at it again Ian!

That new work-shack is a bit posh isnt it??

Hi Mike, It's good to be back at it hard-ish again..

I'm not sure about the Workshack being posh, it's just that I have to keep it a lot tidier as I only have a quarter of the space my old Workshack had..

Im so glad your working on this project again.

I'm quite glad about it as well Chris :ROTF:

It's not been the best of years only being able to look at the project and not having the time to get anything done on it... Who's bloody idea was it to move house in the forst place :banghead::hide:

Whoo hoo Ian the whtractor/thingy.gif is back!

Good to see the latest progress. Work shack looks nice.

I'm back!!!! Oh good, I did wonder :hide:

It's nice to be back Rolf.

Glad you like the new Shack :thumbs:

Stigian

I'd better get on with this update then :banghead:

The weather had not been helping much with the Workshack reaching an all time low of

-9'c (17'f) putting any chance of lathe work out the question..

Not only had the coolant bottle frozen solid..

TSS24.jpg

This is a jar of coolant.. it should be white but got a bit cold!

TSS25.jpg

But the lathe had contracted so much I couldn't turn it by hand!!

At least i could do a bit of welding which was quite handy for warming the hands :thumbs:

WARNING.. This video contains bright and strobing lights!!

(Click on the pic to see the vid)

th_TSS27.jpg

The chassis received it's extra 8 inches.

The front hitch has been lightly bolted on.

TSS28.jpg

With the wheels placed somewhere about right the extra 8 inches give a more solid/tracked Cat like feel to the 'orse :ROTF:

TSS29.jpg

Plenty of space for the new axles at the front now.

TSS30.jpg

Anglo Traction

Hi Ian, excellent project. Love the Vintage Lathe, don't recognise the Make?.

My old 1949 Myford is still holding up.

Keep up the inventive work

Stigian

Work had progressed enough on one of my widened wheel hubs/brake disc mount :ROTF: to be able to put a few bits together and see where things sat.

TSS32.jpg

Only one side sorted but I now know how wide this beast will be :hide:

TSS34.jpg

This side minus the wheel mounting flange looks like it should have a whire wheel with "knock off" centers. :banghead:

TSS33.jpg

Last photo for now..

There will be an "axle" running out from the hole to an external bearing..

TSS31.jpg

That's all for now folks.... Bar a little question....

Can anyone tell me what size thread the standard WH wheel bolts are?

Cheers Chaps :thumbs:

TT

Can anyone tell me what size thread the standard WH wheel bolts are?

7/16" - 20 NF

:ROTF::banghead:

Nice to see you're back at it again! :thumbs:

Anglo Traction

7/16 x 20 unf. Are you going to Bolts with Acorn Nuts ?. Looking into suppliers here at the moment

Stigian

Good morning Guy's, yep it's time for another small update :banghead:

Hi Ian, excellent project. Love the Vintage Lathe, don't recognise the Make?.

My old 1949 Myford is still holding up.

Keep up the inventive work

Morning Richard, my lathe is an old (early 50's I think) Southbend S made in Southbend Indiana..

It cost me

Anglo Traction

Hi Ian , sympathise with long job on Keyways, I used the same process, but have only done it on Cast Iron and only 1/8" keyway. (on my traction Engine) .

'Oh' for money and space for a 'Shaper'.

Looking Good :banghead: .

Regards, Richard .

Jim_M

These may not be top of the line quality, but for occasion use they work just fine. They're a lot cheaper than the DuMont set I bought for work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-00-HSS-KEYWAY-BROAC...=item4cf2c23972

Scroll down the page a little and look at the # 10 standard set, it's the one I would buy.

chris11

I had one of those old southbends They cant take a cut. good for small stuff, I was going to offer my keyway broach ,but i see your using the southbend.keep up the great work.

Stigian

Hi Ian , sympathise with long job on Keyways, I used the same process, but have only done it on Cast Iron and only 1/8" keyway. (on my traction Engine) .

'Oh' for money and space for a 'Shaper'.

Looking Good

It's good to know I'm not the only one mad enough to use this method :D

These may not be top of the line quality, but for occasion use they work just fine. They're a lot cheaper than the DuMont set I bought for work.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NO-00-HSS-KEYWAY-BROAC...=item4cf2c23972

Scroll down the page a little and look at the # 10 standard set, it's the one I would buy.

Thanks for that Jim, but it's a bit out of my price range at the mo...

But one day when funds are more abundant...

I had one of those old southbends They cant take a cut. good for small stuff, I was going to offer my keyway broach ,but i see your using the southbend.keep up the great work.

Hi Chris, your right about the Southbend not being able to take a good cut, but I can live with having to take smaller cuts and a bit more time..

I could do with getting a bigger lathe at some point, I'm kinda starting to push the limits of the Southbend :thumbs:

The great work will be kept up :ROTF:

Work has been moving on if a bit slowly, it takes a while cutting these key-ways...

I even have a pair of reinforced gloves so I don't wear my fingers away :wh:

TSS40.jpg

Pete wanted a go at key-way cutting, and soon found out how much hard work it is!!

TSS39.jpg

With the 2nd internal key-way finished, it seemed like a good point to finish for the day..

The next day started a bit cold... cold enough to give my laptop which had been in the Shack all night booting up problems!!

Best stick it in front of a fan heater for a while :hide:

TSS41.jpg

While the lapdog was defrosting I had a bit of a look at the brake discs and wheel hubs and came across a problem with my design!!

Because I planned to use Kawasaki Z200 front discs the part of the new hubs where the discs fit over had to be quite small, which was all fine and dandy until I cut the key-way..

As you can see from the photo there is not much metal left above the key-way to drill and tap a hole for a grub screw...

The easy way to fix it would be to just weld on a small bit of steel above the key-way thickening the amount of metal....

Only one problem with that... The disc would not fit on with extra metal in the way..

Unless I cut a small chunk out of the inside of the disc.

You should get what I'm rambling on about by looking at this photo..

TSS42.jpg

Oh, and did I mention that the Z200 discs would need not only a 1mm shave each side but 1/2 inch trimmed off the diameter to get them to fit the Kawasaki Gpz 305 calipers I want to use? :banghead:

Only one thing for it... Fit the Gpz305 discs...

HHmm... Not the best of fits on the red flange that was machined to fit the Z200 discs!

TSS44.jpg

But never fear when you have some 3/8" plate near :hide:

TSS45.jpg

A short-ish while later...

Almost at the limits of what the 4 jaw chuck can hold!!

TSS46.jpg

With the 3 jaw chuck now holding the steel plate firmly, it was time for a couple of action shots to finish this update with..

Without flash...

TSS48.jpg

With flash..

TSS49.jpg

Sparky

Its incredible how you just plunge ahead and build with no blue-prints to fall back on Ian. I couldnt do what your up to with a full set of engineered plans :banghead: .

Its allways exciting to hear about your progress.

Thanks,

Mike..........

chris11

Funny your working on a american tractor brake rotors , and in here in the us make brake rotor hats for a aston martin............

chris11

Its incredible how you just plunge ahead and build with no blue-prints to fall back on Ian. I couldnt do what your up to with a full set of engineered plans :hide: .

Its allways exciting to hear about your progress.

Thanks,

Mike..........

Mike these guys shoot from the hip. That is talent. :banghead::thumbs: :ROTF: