Sign in to follow this  
N.C. horserider

K181 Valves

N.C. horserider

Just checked the cylinder thru spark plug opening when I turned over the engine the valve did not move. I opened the valve cover and found that there is a gap on the left valve. Is this a broken valve, pushrod or something else. The two edges are real smooth so it doesn't feel like it broke. Motor is listed below K181.

002-3.jpg

001-3.jpg

TT

The valve is stuck open. (the stem is sticking in the valve guide)

To do it correctly, you'll need to pull the cylinder head, remove and clean the valve(s), and reinstall everything. You might get away with spraying the valve stem with penetrant and lightly tapping it down on to the seat. Turn the engine over and see if it loosed up again. If not, keep spraying & tapping.

Follow the Kohler service manual instructions for gauging and setting valve clearance.

oldandred

that engine has been sitting some time

N.C. horserider

Thanks Terry I let it sit overnight after spraying with PB blaster and after tapping on the exhaust valve for a couple minutes it dropped and is working. Has plenty of compression can hardly turn the crank by hand on exhaust stroke. The engine did sit for some time so it's been check and recheck and eliminate one problem at a time.