Sign in to follow this  
acsousa82

Carburetor Troubles

acsousa82

My 64 Ranger has its original Tecumseh H-60 running solid, minor smoking but nothing serious. The only issue rendering the tractor unreliable is the carb. First, cold starts are rough in that she likes the choke out half way for a minute or so while she warms up or will stall. She starts right up though and for the most part after a minute the choke can be closed all together. I can live with that, as I know every carb has a mind of its own but it seems that every time in high throttle she seems to surge and with a touch of the high throttle adjustment screw on the bottom of the bowl shee seems to correct herself. What burns me is it is literally a touch, I would say that it take not even close to a 1/4 turn of the adjustment. Recently even in low throttle all of a sudden she has begun to sputter :thumbs2: . I have cleaned the carb twice and replaced all seals and needles. I have adjusted her time and time again until she runs perfect and it seems to last a day or two, sometimes it corrects its self and sometimes not.

I've read already that the Tecumseh carbs have a reputation for being problematic, and don't get me wrong I like to tinker as much as the next guy but it is getting excessive and the Ranger is becoming to be unreliable <_< . My 753 w/ a K161 with a Carter 14 carb never gives me a problem so I have been giving some thought to swithing the carb on the H-60 to a Carter or Walbro.

Any ideas on a remedy for the Ranger's caugh or input on what carbs would be compatible for a swap would be sincerely apprciated. :thumbs:

WheelHorse_of_course

Weird!

The only thing i can think of is that you have an air leak. Try spraying carb cleaner around the manifold area and on moving parts of the carb and see if that leads you to any leaks,

Good Luck :thumbs2:

:thumbs:

TT

I have an HH60 on a 502 that does the same thing, Alex. It will run fine for a while -- then all of a sudden it starts to sputter and run rough. Most of the time I just twist the high speed screw back and forth a little and it clears up and runs great again. The carbs used on the Tecumsehs seem to have smaller orifices and passages than other carbs which makes them less tolerant with "dirt". Short of dismantling the entire carb (including all welch plugs) and cleaning, I'd say a new carb would be your best option.

Kevin ("kpinnc") successfully transplanted a Carter (Kohler) carb on his Lawn Ranger, so you might want to ask him what all is involved if you want to try that option.

acsousa82

Thanks Guys I really appreciate the input.

Most of the time I just twist the high speed screw back and forth a little and it clears up and runs great again.

TT:

I'm with you there. At least for the most part she seems to clear up. Honestly the up side to this inconvenience is that I have certainly gotten a lot of experience with carbs as a result.

Thanks again and any other ideas or thoughts are appreciated. :thumbs2:

VinsRJ

I agree try swapping the carb with a know good carb.

Is that Carter N on your Kohler original? A "14" sounds a little small for a 161. I have a Carter N 20 on my 161 and it runs great..........

acsousa82

Vin,

I agree, a swap would not hurt and definitely would pin point if it is the carb. I have to keep an eye out for one.

As far as the 161, I know for sure it is a Carter N and I'm pretty sure is a 14 but I would have to double check. I have to say that the 161 has never let me down, it is certainly a reliable and powerful 7 hrs. I must admit though that the Tecumseh carb has one feature I wish the Carter had which is the lip on the top of the bowl that overlaps the carb main body when fastened. The Carter's butt mount to the carb body always seems to seep fuel until you get the tightness just right. But I rather have a little seepage than a carb that won't hold an adjustment. :thumbs2:

Thanks Again

Coadster32

Not sure if you're using a fuel filter or not, But I always do on Tecumseh motors, and usually have great sucess. I also try to run them out of gas, by shutting off the gas to the carb, and keep it dry. They seem to stay cleaner longer. Just my $.02

acsousa82

Chris

Thats easy enough and worth a shot. The only form of filter she has is the screen on the fuel shut off valve that mount to the tank. I shut the fuel after each use to prevent the carb float from getting stuck on the open position and dumping fuel anyway, so I might as well let her consume the fuel and starve herself off. Thanks.

stevebo

Alex,

I had the toro shop rebuild my carb and wash out the fuel tank etc etc. (they owed me a favor) I took it home and parked it. About a month later I went to start it and it ran just like yours is running. I brought it back to the dealer and they said there was water in the tankand lines.. It may be worth adding some dry gas or sea foam. This was a 6hp tec on my old 655.

Just make sure you get that thing working good for the next show so you can mow the field for me and uncle bo. :thumbs2:

Coadster32

It may be worth adding some dry gas or sea foam

Hey Steve, That's the second time I've heard of sea foam. The first time someone said to use it in a motor that smokes a bit, and it might clear it up some. What is it, what's it's purpose, and what's it do??

acsousa82

Don't worry Stevebo, you'll have a freshly cut lawn to lounge out on this coming June :thumbs2:

Nice website for the Sea Foam product, seems like a good maintenance product. Thanks Guys.

Coadster32

Thanks for the link. Does anyone have any testimony to it??

I did the wynns fuel treatment on my wife's car, and really saw no results to speak of. Her car had 103,000 mile on it when I did it.

kpinnc

Kevin ("kpinnc") successfully transplanted a Carter (Kohler) carb on his Lawn Ranger, so you might want to ask him what all is involved if you want to try that option.

Yep- Did it, and it worked pretty well. A bit of a pain to dial the high speed mix in, but still much better than the original.

There is also a suitable replacement that was available last year. I can't find the post now, but I think Buzz posted it... You may wanna PM him and see...

Good luck!

Kevin

clintonnut

Hi,

Before I sold my 655 to Jamie325i, I probably cleaned that carburetor 1/2 dozen times. I finally put the carb body in a coffee can of lime-away for 3-4 hours and it works way better that carb cleaner. I would then wash it off and assemble it. It hasn't been giving the new owner problems. Those carburetors are very sensitive to temperature. You could either put a Carter N on or put a Walbro LME carburetor on. Both are good carburetors. For now just try to get your present carb working. If you don't have an inline fuel filter it might be good to get one because any dirt will mess that carb up.

Charlie