Sign in to follow this  
cockrobin

Wheel Horse Model 855

cockrobin

While using my Wheel Horse Model 855, it will suddenly stop and usually on a turn. At this point, I see the right-rear wheel is spinning. I shift the transmission into neutral and see that my right-rear wheel and axle have moved approximately 1" from the transmission case. I simply push the wheel and axle assembly back into proper alignment with the transmission and the tractor is able to be driven again.

What is happening and what is the fix? Thank you for your help, in advance.

perry

you need to tighten the set screws on the back side of the hub.

Duff

Perry's advice is spot on. You might before you tighten it up, however, slide the whole thing off and make sure the key that keeps the hub engaged with the axle hasn't gotten chewed up. If it's showing any wear, replacing it is pretty simple and cheap. I'm not familiar with the 855's, but most keys are available at any decent hardware store with a loose parts section.

Oh, and :thumbs: !

Duff :thumbs2:

nylyon

From the description, it sounds like the axle is sliding out of the case. I have never had one of these apart, but I assume there is a clip inside the case to keep this from happening :thumbs2:

Actually it looks like a 1/4 x 1 1/2 roll pin which holds the axle in. You would need to take the trans apart to install the pin (if this is what the issue is)

In this post, there is a link to the trans repair manual, the link is in the 15th post in by MikesRJ:

oldandred

to start off with if the set screw is lose it will let the hub with wheel slide out or in so do like duff said the axle is held in by a roll pin1/4x1 1/2 Now if it is the axle coming out yes the tranny will have to come apart but I dont think thats your problem the woodruff key is 1/4 inch wide by 3/4 inch long if its ok adjust the hub back to were its suppose to be losen the nut on the stud going though the hub run the stud down aganist the key tight and then tigthen the nut down and youre back on the road

cockrobin

I have replaced the #15 Woodruff key and replaced the axle seal, as there was some minor leakage. The set screw was tightened down on the new key and the locknut tightened down on the set screw, still have the problem. I noticed, it is always the right axle and wheel that comes out and starts spinning, when the forward motion of the tractor has stopped. The wheel hub is approximately 1" from the transmission, at this time. How can this happen? If the shaft has come loose from the transmission, wouldn't the wheel be stopped? When I pushed the wheel and axle assembly back into the transmission, with the transmission in neutral, there is no gap between the wheel hub and transmission. Normally, isn't there supposed to be a slight gap between the wheel hub and transmission? I don't even know what transmission My tractor has, other than it is a 3-speed with a full cast-iron transmission case. Is this going to be an involved repair?

The tractor is 44 years old and Wheel Horse sent a representative(26 years ago), to look at the tractor, as it is supposed to be a "rare" tractor with a short frame. It was an experiment to get a more maneuverable tractor to cut grass around apartment buildings, per the representative. He did say, he was amazed at the condition of the tractor and mower, but then it is always kept in my garage. What I feel is "rare", is that this if the first time I have had a problem with the tractor, with all parts being original, including coil, condenser and gas filter.

nylyon

So basically, is the hub sliding on the axle, or is the axle coming out of the trans? Have you jacked it up and pulled on it?

TT

How can the wheel come out and still be spinning with the tractor stopped? :thumbs2:

I'm with Coach..... jack the thing up and pull on the tire until something falls off. Then you can tell us exactly what the problem is.

cockrobin

I jacked-up the transmission with both wheels off the ground and pulled on both wheels. The axle shafts do not come out of the transmission, but they each move over an inch, as if they want to come out. Something is still holding both shafts from coming all the way out. When both wheel and axle assemblies are pushed back into the transmission, the transmission works fine in all gears, until I make a sharp turn, then it is deja vu.

nylyon

I think that you're going to have to split the case to see what is happening inside. The manual link above should help.

Coadster32

Here's a pic of the roll pin in the differential that was mentioned. The shaft does have room to drift out and in a bit. This is normal. Basically, the shafts butt up against each other (I think), when it drifts inward which is harmless. The roll pins hold them from coming out when they drift outward. If that's not the issue, then it could only be the hubs, setscrew, and/or the key. There's really nothing else to it. (unless your tire is spinning on the rim).

Edit- in the rare event that your shaft or pinion gears are worn down to the point where it is only engaging on a tiny bit of gear. Then when the shaft drifts, it disengages. If that's the case, you need to split the case to fix it anyhow. As you can see, it is very well designed.

DSCF0090-3.jpg

cockrobin

Thank you for the picture of the differential, Coadster32. I will go with your advice, to remove the transmission and split it apart and see what is causing the real problem. These are the original tires and the air pressure was checked, to make sure that under-inflation was not the problem.

can whlvr

It is possible that the pinion gears are worn in certain spots ,i agree that splitting it is the only way to really find out.

Coadster32

Here's a little better pic of the differential and the roll pins. Just imagine the two halves just being bolted together. There's nothing else in there. Let us know how you make out.

DSCF0092.jpg