Sign in to follow this  
Electro12WH

Keeping It Old

Electro12WH

I've got a couple of working tractors w/ old paint. I guess I like them the way they are, but I'm wondering if there is someway I should treat the paint to keep it up? Put an oil on it or something?

On a related note- how would you paint a tractor to get that Old International color?

I thought about maybe mixing red oxide primer with International Red.

MikesRJ

Maintaining the paint job on a tractor is the same as maintaining the paint on a car. Wax and UV block applied periodically and it will at least make it look better for a longer period of time. Also maintaining the paint at this point will at least make it last a few more years.

If you plan on repainting your tractor I suggest you make a trip to TSC (Tractor Supply). They have a Restoration Series - Tractor and Impliment IH Red that is very close to the original WH Red. You can buy it in rattle can or in paint cans for thinning/spraying.

tgranthamfd

On your "related note", if you are looking for the old faded look with new paint, I would suggest painting it with your color of choice, then after cured just wet sand or color sand, then just not buff it out. You will have new paint with no shine. As stated the Restoration Series is an execlent paint, as well.

bell

You've got me thinking now...

I'm getting ready to build a "ratrod" '62 Lawn Ranger... I was thinking about the traditional flat black, but after thinking about it... I think "original", faded red would be AWESOME!!!!

There is a computer/ scanner thingy that can be placed on a body panel and it will give the correct mix for the paint. Add a flattening agent and VOILA! That should work! I'm going to see what I can find out about this when the project gets a little closer.

Thanks for the idea Electro12WH!

Electro12WH

When I was a kid, the local hotrodders would mix half flat black primer and half black lacquer to make a semigloss black paint. Maybe this would work with red?

Kelly

Yes you can have a flatner added to any automotive paint, I did when they mixed the paint to match my barn siding, I painted the meter box and pole so it did not stick out like a sore thumb.

As for keeping a old finish looking as good as you can, well if not to bad off, wax but if you have a 40 year old paint job with minor rust poking through, wax will build up on the rust and look white, I've been rubbing 2 of mine down with WD40 brings out the red, keeps the rust at bay, if you wipe it down, then rub it in, then it will dry down, buff off the oily left over so it will not collect dirt, I have bare steel not rusted on my foot rest for a few years now, that is one tractor that will not get repainted, it's just to nice, has patina and proudy shows it's age.

Electro12WH

Kelly, what do you buff it out with? Just a cotton rag?

Kelly

an old towel works for me, now if it has lots of rust this will not work very good, I'll try to get pictures of my charger 10