Sign in to follow this  
besman

Kohler K341 16hp charging system

besman

Hello,

How can i check to see if the charging system is working?

I used my C-160 tractor the other night and after about 20 minutes of running WOT, i slowed the engine down to an idle, it coughed a time or two and cut off. I went to restart it and the battery was dead. The starter would just click. I changed out the battery and started back up. The Ammeter stayed slightly on the negative side. If i turned on the lights, the needle moved really far into the negative side on meter. I assume its not charging but not sure.

thanks for any ideas in advance,

M

WheelHorse_of_course

This is where a amp meter is handy.

Your charging system is NOT working. Now you need to find out why.

First check all of your grounding, in particular the rectifier ground connection.

Disconnect the rectifier and measure the AC voltage across the stator leads (should be only 2 that do into the engine).

You should be getting a fairly high reading (20-30 volts AC).

If that is OK, connect those back to the rectifier and measure across the same two leads. Should be about the same.

Finally, remove the third lead (the one that goes to the tractor rather than the engine) and connect your meter with the positive (+) lead to the pin of the rectifier you just disconnected and the minus (-) lead to a good ground.

Best of luck

:thumbs: :thumbs2:

TT

Finally, remove the third lead (the one that goes to the tractor rather than the engine) and connect your meter with the positive (+) lead to the pin of the rectifier you just disconnected and the minus (-) lead to a good ground.

Best of luck

:ROTF::thumbs:

And???........ :thumbs2:

Kinda cruel to let him hanging like that, Rolf. :ychain:

besman

Ok, I got about 25v from the AC leads. and 10-11v from the B+ and a ground. I would assume that means the rectifier is ok. I did notice the connector with the three wires was loose on the rectifier but tightening up made no change. Anything else I can check to determine the problem?

thanks,

M

TT

Anything else I can check to determine the problem?

The wire (orange, I think?) from the B+ terminal on the rectifier to the "R" terminal on the ignition switch and the ignition switch itself.

Make sure you have continuity between the "R" and "B" terminals on the ignition switch when it's in the "ON" or "RUN" position..

besman

Well, just an update with this. I was using the tractor earlier this week and looked down at the ammeter and the needle was way over into the positive side. I'm not sure if i had a loose connection somewhere or what. The only thing different was a different battery.

Thanks,

M